New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Wildmage+Maximize Spell?

So, am I right in thinking that a wildmage's caster level would also be maximized, since that is also a variable, numeric effect?

All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoury99 View Post
    Dungeons & Dragons obviously - that's why White Wolf won't let their PCs take a look at it. Sadly the game has degenerated into an argument over which suppliments are allowed and who's paying for the pizza... an of course which edition is best.

...Although traditionally of course, the gods play Populous.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Wildmage+Maximize Spell?

All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.

I don't think the caster level is counted as part of the spell. It determines certain things about the spell, but isn't part of it. A 1st level wizard and a 20th level wizard both can cast ray of frost, after all. Also, caster level changes the Saving throw only (At lest of most spells, I know about Fireball and other that change damage too). Personally, I'd rule against this.
    Last edited by Malacode; 2008-12-30 at 02:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

No, caster level wouldn't be affected, by the text you yourself quoted. Maximize Spell says all variable, numerical EFFECTS of spells are maximized. Caster level isn't an effect of a spell (unless, I guess you have a spell that gives you +X caster level, which doesn't exist AFAIK), whereas damage or something like that IS an effect.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-12-30 at 02:07 AM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    (unless, I guess you have a spell that gives you +X caster level, which doesn't exist AFAIK)
    consumptive field (Spell Compendium) gives you temporal increase in caster level but it's not a numerical variable in that case.
    Last edited by Fostire; 2008-12-30 at 07:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Ah well, I tried.
    Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoury99 View Post
    Dungeons & Dragons obviously - that's why White Wolf won't let their PCs take a look at it. Sadly the game has degenerated into an argument over which suppliments are allowed and who's paying for the pizza... an of course which edition is best.

...Although traditionally of course, the gods play Populous.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

It's still an awesome idea, fundamentally... There has to be some way of ensuring your Wildmages caster level will be good... *thinks*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, here's a long shot because I have no idea what I'm talking about, but:

What kind of ability is the wildmage's caster level variable? Supernatural, Extraordinary? I ask because: If, by some ridiculous chance, it is Spell-like, you could use Maximize SLA on it.

But, I don't know anything about the Wildmage. I'm of the belief that the wildmage is only cool if you houserule in an d100 table of effects to mess with the caster.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Practised Spellcaster is the traditional one to cancel the -3 (So it's now CL + 1d6 instead of CL-3+1d6) unless I missed someone somewhere finding a reason it doesn't work.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post

What kind of ability is the wildmage's caster level variable? Supernatural, Extraordinary? I ask because: If, by some ridiculous chance, it is Spell-like, you could use Maximize SLA on it.

But, I don't know anything about the Wildmage. I'm of the belief that the wildmage is only cool if you houserule in an d100 table of effects to mess with the caster.
    2E wildmage (from tome of magic) had one, and it was awesome.
    I remember this one time our DM made this door-that-can-be-opened-by-answering-a-riddle thing, and after trying every answer we could think of, I got angry and tried to use the fist of stone spell to punch the door open. I roll the caster level check and get a wild surge, I roll the wild surge and get the result "All normal doors, secret doors, portcullises, etc. (including those locked or barred) within 60' of caster swing open"
    Last edited by Fostire; 2008-12-30 at 11:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post

Er... none of the above, it seems? It has no descriptor at all.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Er... none of the above, it seems? It has no descriptor at all.
    That's... curious. I would lay money though that it is meant to be (Ex), so it works everywhere, all the time, forever, and can't be cheesed w/ things like Maximize SLA (which would just be moronic).

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    That's... curious. I would lay money though that it is meant to be (Ex), so it works everywhere, all the time, forever, and can't be cheesed w/ things like Maximize SLA (which would just be moronic).
    Well, there are a number of other abilities which are not marked as anything. I assume it isn't marked because it isn't an ability unto itself- it is simply a modification of their ability to cast spells.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Well, there are a number of other abilities which are not marked as anything. I assume it isn't marked because it isn't an ability unto itself- it is simply a modification of their ability to cast spells.
    Huh. I've always assumed that the lack of a marker means that someone somewhere merely forgot what they were doing. Meh, I'd probably call anything similar/related to this ability (Ex), just to cover all my bases.

Also, on topic, Wild Mage is a hilarious class. I approve of the older version, which had a chance to make you roll on the d100 chart of "WTFGUYS??"
    Last edited by arguskos; 2008-12-30 at 12:12 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I like both versions of the Wild Mage, and would personally disallow the use of Practiced Spellcaster to mitigate the class feature, though it technically works, RAW. How cheesy and entirely against the spirit of the class.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    I like both versions of the Wild Mage, and would personally disallow the use of Practiced Spellcaster to mitigate the class feature, though it technically works, RAW. How cheesy and entirely against the spirit of the class.
    No it isn't. That's exactly what the feat is supposed to represent: a spellcaster that practises his casting. The Wild Mage that took it, in this case, is practised enough to mitigate his penalties, so that he doesn't lose his head when casting wildly and is just as good if not better than any other, more sane spellcaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    How does Practiced Spellcaster interact with the wild
    magic class feature of the wild mage (from CAr)?

The –3 penalty and +1d6 bonus to the wild mage’s caster
    level are applied as a single step in the process of determining
    the wild mage’s caster level. Since Practiced Spellcaster’s
    bonus is always applied when it is most beneficial to the
    character (see previous answer), a wild mage with Practiced
    Spellcaster would typically apply the wild magic class feature
    first (subtracting 3 and adding 1d6 to her caster level) and then
    add the Practiced Spellcaster benefit, up to a maximum value
    equal to her character level.
    It is perfectly valid to combine the two, but it doesn't come out to a straight +1d6 caster level.