New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Dullcote or Glosscote on these minis?

I'll start from the beginning: I have a set of LotR miniatures. They're plastic Warriors of Gondor, and, as such, I've painted them in all their shiny armor splendor. (I'll take this opportunity to praise the virtues of Polly Scale. How easy it is to use; how smooth a finish it gives!) Now, naturally, I want to clearcoat them, as I find it does wonders for preventing paint rub-off. But my question is: Dullcote or Glosscote? Usually, I go for Dullcote, which makes my minis look less toy-like. But, you know, shining armor...then again, how dull could it really even get, anyway? So tell me, fellow mini-painters: which can should I start shaking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dullcote or Glosscote on these minis?

always dullcote

gloss coat is the worst thing on the mini market.

if you wanna make certain areas pop, dullcote them, then apply gloss with a brush to the areas you desire
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    always dullcote

if you wanna make certain areas pop, dullcote them, then apply gloss with a brush to the areas you desire
    I'll 2nd this.
    Custom Avatar courtesy of Beholder1995!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    always dullcote

I won't go so far as to say that gloss is the worst thing, as it has its purposes, but I agree with the other advice--full-on dullcote, then if your armor isn't gleaming enough, buy brush-on gloss varnish and pick those areas out.

The other thing to do to help your armor pop is--if you haven't already of course--any combination of the following:
    - Coat the armor in ink (make sure you use INK which is shiny, not WASH which is matte). Silvery/steel armor looks good coated in a little black ink mixed with blue. If you want it to look rusty or oiled, chestnut or brown does well. If it's gold, ink it with chestnut--looks gorgeous.

- Optionally, after inking, drybrush the armor the same color you painted it. Adds some depth.

- Highlight. Frex, if you painted it a dark steel, take a good brush that keeps its tip and use a lighter silver and draw it over the most raised edges.

These things will make your armor stand out and "gleam" even if you dullcote the whole thing.
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

LGBTitP

Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Metallic colors will still shine through a dullcote.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Oh god, if you go with glosscoat, dunk your minis in some acetate or turpentine or whatever cleaning solution is appropriate for the paints you use. You'll see why if you use it (Expecially over a bare skin area). Glosscoat makes almost any miniature look ridiculous, unless you're doing A) Water or B) Drool. If you used transfers and you want to blend their glossy look into the rest of the mini, use 'Ard coat. For anything else? Any Dullcoat will do.

Honestly, I've never had a need to coat any but my most handled minis, and those are the ones I reserve for my D&D characters. Rank and file troops don't really need it. They need to look impressive as a group, not individuals.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.