New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Looking for a Game/System

I'm looking for a system that has a character system like Chrono Trigger or Secret of Evermore. Where the players can be from various ages in time and travel through them.

I know there is CORPS and EABA's Timelords, but I'm not a fan of those systems...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Looking for a Game/System

Gurps, is the obvious choice, as it does not only allow to include almost anything you could want for your characters, but also has a very well-made setting about dimensional travelling and alternative reality hopping. Infinite Worlds may not be focused on time traveling, but it has its nieche for it (including all those fun "what were if... pseudohistorical settings).

3. - Top - End - #3

Aside from the corerule book, what other books from GURPS should I check

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

GURPS is good if you want a more gritty, realistic feel to your game, Mutants & Masterminds 2e if you want it to feel more heroic.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

To run GURPS 4th edition you will need the Basic Set, which is Characters and Campaigns. The Characters book is, obviously, everything you need to make a character, and enough to play the game. the Campaigns book is added detail for running games, and includes a chapter detailing the Infinite Worlds setting. If you like it, you can buy the Infinite Worlds book.

Other good books to get, as you and your group grow more familiar with GURPS, are Martial Arts, Powers, High-Tech (Guns, lots of guns), Ultra-Tech (for super science) Bio-Tech (for genetic engineering and such, and some super science related), and whatever other genre or setting books catch your fancy.

I wouldn't go out and buy them all at once, since you won't know if you like the game. I do recommend getting the GURPS Character Assistant, as it will greatly expedite character generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    GURPS is good if you want a more gritty, realistic feel to your game, Mutants & Masterminds 2e if you want it to feel more heroic.
    GURPS is only gritty and realistic if that's the kind of game you set up. If you're playing an Infinite Worlds campaign, especially an I-Swat campaign, odds are you're going to be anything but (one of the example characters is a six legged robot with dual miniguns. That is a follower of Zen buddhism.)
    Last edited by Cybren; 2009-01-01 at 05:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    GURPS is only gritty and realistic if that's the kind of game you set up. If you're playing an Infinite Worlds campaign, especially an I-Swat campaign, odds are you're going to be anything but (one of the example characters is a six legged robot with dual miniguns. That is a follower of Zen buddhism.)
    I mean the mechanics, not the feel of the setting - I don't know that much about GURPS, but isn't combat in it very lethal, unless you happen to be something along the lines of the aforementioned robot?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

RIFTS has a good mechanic for it, although the MDC stuff is pure crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I mean the mechanics, not the feel of the setting - I don't know that much about GURPS, but isn't combat in it very lethal, unless you happen to be something along the lines of the aforementioned robot?
    It's lethal in the sense that you can die, i guess. If you're all building average people in the 25-75 point range and get into gunfights and duels and fight vampires, sure, you have a good chance of dying. And if your GM is using the rules for permanent injury or crippling, you can wind up coming out of a fight maimed.

But most games, I imagine, turn off the "hardcore grit/realism" options, and play at 100-200 points to start with, with the option of buying "cinematic" or "supernatural/exotic" traits. Like regeneration, or damage resistence(as chitinous plating or cybernetic subdermal armor, etc), or just enough strength and extra HP to put their HP total high enough, and enough Health that they almost never fail a health check.

(the way dying works is your character rolls against his Health score at intervals based on his HP. You only "die no matter what" at -5x your HP score, so if you had HP 10, it would be -50. If you HP 20, it would be -100 Hp, or, having taken 120 HP total of damage)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Rifts *shudder*, Torg, Nexus: the Infinite City, Feng Shui. That's four off the top of my head.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

10. - Top - End - #10

True 20 ftw!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I will actually second True20. If you don't hoard your Conviction Points, you can get screwed by a bad damage save.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

For me, the obvious solution is the out of print "Transdimensional Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", compatible with Rifts and the rest of Palladium's games. Time & Dimension travel were core themes, and the game is a lot of fun. It's a supplement, though, so you'll need something else to cover the gaps... Heroes Unlimited (revised or 2nd edition), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness, or After the Bomb (the larger recent version).

Despite what others say, the system is solid and fun, especially in the games I mentioned.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Continuum (http://www.aetherco.com/continuum/ ) is a very interesting system designed for time travel.