You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1403
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    For those asking if the contest is still on, I suggest contacting Roland
    Closed? Oh no! I can totally think of...

Wait. WAAAAIT.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Closed? Oh no! I can totally think of...

Wait. WAAAAIT.
    It would have worked too if not for you meddling kids!

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Troll in the Playground

It would have worked too if not for you meddling kids!
    Those damn goats ruin everything!
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Mon/Wed) and Earthbound (Fri)

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Those damn goats ruin everything!
    I couldn't agree more!
    Beautiful avatar by Mr_Saturn
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    ...I think that counts as your own Crowning Moment of Awesome, WP.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely avatar of an NPC in Camp Half-Blood of mine by Crimson Angel:
    Thanks to Green Bean for my Spheal avatar.

Also thanks to VT for awarding me with a VT monster competition award.

Four internets and a cookie!

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    So...no one has any thoughts or feedback on my entry?
    Silly in theme, but then Cloakers themselves are pretty ridiculous to begin. At least these aren't meant to be taken seriously. The cloaker needs to be mocked and this does a fine job of that.

Solid in build though. Only thing I found off on first go over was that it's moan DCs should be 18.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Okay, this contest is bringing me back to critiquing and editing because it's looking a lot more fun. However, I'm not going to try to critique epic creatures any more as they are just too time consuming. I'd also appreciate it if anyone else sees an error to pipe up. The better the monsters, the better the contest. It's open to newbies who often don't know all the rules so be kind.

Also, if you are intentionally changing a rule or breaking it: STATE it UP FRONT. Don't waste people's time (especially mine) who are looking at the rules only to be told that the creator "meant" to do that. That is one of my pet peeves and one of the reasons I was getting burn-out.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Troll in the Playground

Silly in theme, but then Cloakers themselves are pretty ridiculous to begin. At least these aren't meant to be taken seriously. The cloaker needs to be mocked and this does a fine job of that.

Solid in build though. Only thing I found off on first go over was that it's moan DCs should be 18.
    Thanks, I started of with the idea of a monster which has something to do with a drag act. Then my mind went;

Clothing Monster? -> Cloakers -> Shapeshifting Cloakers -[why would they put people in drag?] -> Cloakers that need heat to survive -> Elemental Cloakers with shapeshifting powers

And everything fell into place. *fixes DCs*
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Mon/Wed) and Earthbound (Fri)

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought of the cleverest play on words today: "Fly-By Knight." I'm afraid beyond a clever name, the monster wouldn't be very interesting, though.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

9. - Top - End - #1239

Bee-Holder has most of the fluff up and some of hte crunch. I should have it done soon (I lost my job again so I had to get another one today instead of doing forum stuffs).
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Silly Frocker: Darkvision 60 ft. should be listed on the Special Qualities line.

Also, it isn't necessary to list the traits in a subheading since all the traits should be noted by Type and Subtype though it is handy because it saves time not having to look them up. However, the SRD is online. Really, the only thing you have to note is things that aren't in the SRD.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Silly Frocker: Darkvision 60 ft. should be listed on the Special Qualities line.

Also, it isn't necessary to list the traits in a subheading since all the traits should be noted by Type and Subtype though it is handy because it saves time not having to look them up. However, the SRD is online. Really, the only thing you have to note is things that aren't in the SRD.

Debby
    Thanks. Fixed.

12. - Top - End - #1242

Bee-Holder almost done cept the CR and Lore (and the extra critters I added). The joke should be obvious now.
    Orcs and Goblins

13. - Top - End - #1243

In theory the Bee-Holder is done and ready for PEACHing
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

SKILLS

I'm doing this alphabetically so both the bee-holder and silly frocker will be discussed.

Bee-Holder is Humanoid so it gets skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die. With an Int 14, that gives it 32 skill points. It can have a max rank of 8 in any skill so it should have 4 skills at max rank. Skills that are Intelligence-based get a +2 bonus and skills that are Wisdom-based get a +4 bonus.

Here are your skills:
    Skills: Appraise +6, Craft (any1) +6, Knowledge (Local, Geography, Nature) +6, Profession (Farmer, Beekeeper) +7, Survival +7
    I'd recommend changing this to:

Skills: Craft (Distilling) +10, Knowledge (Local, Nature) +10, Profession (Beekeeper) +12

Silly Frocker: Aberrations also get skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die. The silly frocker has an Int of 14 as well, so it has 44 skills points to work with and can have a maximum of 11 ranks in any skill.

Here are your skills:
    Skills: Hide +11, Listen +13, Move Silently +11, Spot +13.
    I think you reversed the Dex and Wisdom bonuses or something. Dex bonus is +2, Wisdom bonus is +1.

It should be:

Skills: Hide +13, Listen +12, Move Silently +13, Spot +12.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-04-10 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added text

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

Ok I am a bit slow off the mark here, but I have two ideas now.

The first is a giant scorpion with duck heads instead of claws, and a wood-chuck head instead of a stinger on the end of its tail. The duck heads have quacks that imitate Shout and each quack may be fired seperately, with a separate 1d4 recharge time, even if they are both used in the same round. The tail is used to hold prey (improved grab, and no penalty for only using the woodchuck head to maintain the grapple) to disallow a reflex save against the quack(s). The woodchuck saliva is also a charisma poison that (ironically enough) causes its victims to become more and more logical and humorless until (at 0 charisma) they ponder the implications of everything they observe so much that they no longer actually ever get around to taking any action.

The second is a bear with the upper body of smaller bears for forelimbs, and the whole pattern repeated ad-infinitium in a fractal patern... illustration HERE. Might even do it as a cloth golum...
    Reproduced below for convenience:

Which would people rather see?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2018-12-18 at 03:53 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Banned

Omgafractalbeariwantonenow

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

Omgafractalbeariwantonenow
    I do believe that the page in question indicates that due to the amount of interest, they are now availible for purchase (perhaps on commision)...

Also, the Scorpuck-chuck would have a fur-bearing, endo-skeletal body, not exoskeletal...

But should I put your vote down for the fractal brown bear Vorpal Tribble? Or is it just the plushie you want, and are indifferent to what I stat out for my entry?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-04-11 at 10:18 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Banned

Yeah, Fractalbear for me.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Banned

Y'know, wondering if these contests shouldn't be moved to the 'Roleplaying Games' section. Couple or three contests going on over there and dozens join in. Over here a single dozen is impressive.

20. - Top - End - #1250

Posted the preliminaries for the In-F-able Horror today. Will continue to plug in numbers as soon as I remember how to mix natural attacks with weapon attacks.

If anyone wants to help, the bite attack should be the primary.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-04-11 at 09:52 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Why the loss of several skills Debbie? Any particular reason?
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Banned

Heh, my last post there was my 10,000th...

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Why the loss of several skills Debbie? Any particular reason?
    To maximize skill ranks. Generally, it's a lot better for the creatures to max out their skills rather than have a lot of them.

Also, your Knowledge skills have some overlap: Geography (lands, terrain, climate, people), Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids) and Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin).

Knowledge Geography is better if you are looking at large areas for mapping or for long travel. You can still know the local areas as most of that sort of thing is common knowledge for the inhabitants. It struck me that Knowlege (Geography) isn't as useful for the bee-holder since you get overlap with people from humanoids in Nature and inhabitants from Local. Local weather vs. climate seems better suited for the bee-holder as well. I'm not even convinced that knowledge of lands and terrain is really necessary for the bee-holder except for their local knowledge of such things. They'd know where the best clover fields are for example --knowledge (plants).

Appraise is a skill that the bee-holders really don't need. What works of art or jewelry are they appraising the value of? Knowledge (nature) would allow them to grade the honey. That's not really an appraisal.

Unless they are living in a harsh environment, Survival isn't a skill they would have much cause to use. Bees don't thrive in harsh environments. Also, the bee-holders didn't really strike me as farmers.

I thought that they should have a distilling skill since they are making moonshine! In my not so humble opinion, it would make more sense for them to brew a honey mead rather than distill a whiskey but that's an afterthought. They could brew some really potent honey mead too. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead.

Since they are keeping bees and why aren't they aren't making and selling beeswax candles?

Last edit, I think the bee-holder is one of those monsters that really has a nice theme going. You should take advantage of it.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-04-12 at 12:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

My creature is up. Technically, this was made for another thread but since I made it today, I thought I would enter it here too. Is this against the rules? If it is, just PM me and I'll delete this post.

The holy cows, bull leader and Io's Butter Churns are all mine as well and just stuck here as part of the theme (the holy cows wouldn't have counted for this contest as they are bison with the celestial template).

PEACHING would be appreciated.

Debby

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Titan in the Playground

My entry is up... it gets 63 attacks in its full attack, has a move speed of 30 feet, and 6 hit-dice... and I am thinking that is exactly as it should be.

EDIT: Should probably change the type to Aberration... or MAYBE magical beast... Not that it will make much difference to its low hit-points for its damage potential... perhaps I should give it more HD...

EDIT^2: Making each level of interation 2 size classes smallerwould SHARPLY reduce the number of attacks you would have to roll (to only 7 I think) as well as being more mechanically/geometrically realistic... but I think that 3 levels of interation doesn't have nearly the cool factor of 6... maybe a lesser version and a greater?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-04-13 at 11:31 PM.
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

I've just put up the Fish in a Barrel. I'm pretty new to 'brewing, though. I think I've got the abilities where I'd like them, but I'd appreciate thoughts on whether I've judged pricing and CR reasonably.

27. - Top - End - #1257

Bee-Holder modified slightly (it's almost bedtime so its as much as i could do today).
    Orcs and Goblins

28. - Top - End - #1258

In-F-able Horror being slowly filled in. I'll probably change it to magical beast now that I have a background. I looked up "ineffable" today and the definition is "incapable of being expressed or described in words," which is a hilarious (to me) coincidence, as you cannot say its name near it, nor describe it easily.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-04-14 at 04:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zom B View Post
    In-F-able Horror being slowly filled in. I'll probably change it to magical beast now that I have a background. I looked up "ineffable" today and the definition is "incapable of being expressed or described in words," which is a hilarious (to me) coincidence, as you cannot say its name near it, nor describe it easily.
    I thought that was the joke all along?

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Bisected8: I think the point is that he used the word without knowing what it meant initially.

Cog:
    Suggest replacing "Cooper" with "Carpentry".
    Decent for defending a fixed location... for more than that, giving it a movement boosting item (Winged Barrel Ring, instead of Winged Boots???) is going to be basically a requirement... it is too heavy to load into a cart.
    Might actually be popular to build onto the back of a ship to catch catapult stones and ballista bolts, since it would have neutral bouancy. This is especially true if being mostly submerged grants it Cover.
    Armor doesn't normally need hitpoints, and I would consider making it MAGICAL armor at the VERY least, so that it gets a save against Warp Wood, or specifically say that the barrel is enough a part of the construct that is effected like a wooden golem would be (however that is) rather than as armor for those purposes.
    Extended Signature