Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread II

Well, I have posted the first draft... the history is the only thing I would call "complete" here... the stat-blocks needs a bunch more abilities added, but other than that should be MOSTLY done I think... the actual ability descriptions are almost entirely missing.

See my above post for more information and some questions I have.

Note that IF I have time I will be including finishing up the template for the children born of unions inside the tree who grow as half-plant creatures from the side of the trunk, separating at hatching/weening to be raised by vine and telepathy and perhaps the occasional nymph nanny or some such... if I can't finish it before the deadline I will remove it.

EDIT:
    More thoughts on Vaincloak
    Even a level 1 fighter with an Energy Draining attack that does 2 negative levels sounds like more than a CR 3, and the idea of it dropping 4 CRs by bonding with a host seems off, although technically there is nothing wrong with the idea of a creature working that way.

100 feet is a more traditional telepathy range in 3.X if I remember correctly... any particular reason you picked 90?

I know it makes a difference for the save DC but it might be better to just call a spade a spade and change Dominate Person to Dominate Monster. Also note that in either case, the duration is measured in days and the general consensus I have heard is that the caster can order the target to fail their save against a re-casting to extend the duration. Thus the chances of a victim falling out of control while bonded with is very small.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-02-09 at 05:12 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm editing mine in slowly. It'll be a Great Old One of sorts inspired by an older idea I had.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Is how so many humanoids could consider a fanged and tentacled eldritch horror to be sexy ever going to be explained, or is that just part of the whole "the very knowledge of its existence can drive a man mad" thing that goes along with BEING an eldritch horror?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, my entry is posted, with everything but the Lore and Plot Hooks section. I'll get to work on those sometime tomorrow.

I'm going with a different sort of bonding than the Lord Xavius' Vaincloak.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Is how so many humanoids could consider a fanged and tentacled eldritch horror to be sexy ever going to be explained, or is that just part of the whole "the very knowledge of its existence can drive a man mad" thing that goes along with BEING an eldritch horror?
    working on it
    Orcs and Goblins

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Lappy9000: That got an internal chuckle from me as soon as I saw the picture and name. Although I see that you made it much smaller than in the game, correct? (Never played, but I hear things about it)

I would make the sharing of each spell optional, just in case one of them wants to blink and the other doesn't for example, but also allow "Self" spells and powers to ONLY effect the other one if the caster chooses.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-02-11 at 05:43 AM.
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

Companion cube.... buwhahahahahahaha

*awaits an inflatable golem*

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

I have been trying to decide whether to mention this to the folks at Victorious Press basically ever since they came into existence... guess I will take the plunge now... (and not half-heartedly either):

Well, no golem, but soon after I had created my Empty Skins someone did say to me that "You realize you have created the necromantic 'inflate-a-date'?", which is a fair point. I think it rather works out in their favor since the option of placing one (or more... why not the vampire's whole harem?) in that role and leading the PCs to that conclusion can be played for creepiness, disgust (more "must die die DIE!" points for the villian who has such para-necrophilic* relations) or even humor (dorm room shenanigans at Sigil Prep perhaps?). The problem is that none of this should be allowed to detract in the least from the other excellent (if I do say so myself) uses of that template...

*Can someone come up with a better term for sex with the undead?

P.S. The Victorious Press forums seem to be down... Found it here but the link on Fax's main page is still a loop-back...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-02-11 at 11:21 AM.
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT:
    More thoughts on Vaincloak
    Even a level 1 fighter with an Energy Draining attack that does 2 negative levels sounds like more than a CR 3, and the idea of it dropping 4 CRs by bonding with a host seems off, although technically there is nothing wrong with the idea of a creature working that way.
    Remember that the vaincloak is expelled if the host takes enough damage.

100 feet is a more traditional telepathy range in 3.X if I remember correctly... any particular reason you picked 90?
    Because the Couatl has it.

I know it makes a difference for the save DC but it might be better to just call a spade a spade and change Dominate Person to Dominate Monster. Also note that in either case, the duration is measured in days and the general consensus I have heard is that the caster can order the target to fail their save against a re-casting to extend the duration. Thus the chances of a victim falling out of control while bonded with is very small.
    I don't really want the vaincloak dominating more than those three types. And I'll add something about falling out of control.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Lappy9000: That got an internal chuckle from me as soon as I saw the picture and name. Although I see that you made it much smaller than in the game, correct? (Never played, but I hear things about it)

I would make the sharing of each spell optional, just in case one of them wants to blink and the other doesn't for example, but also allow "Self" spells and powers to ONLY effect the other one if the caster chooses.
    Yeah, I decided that if I was going with a symbiotic relationship, a companion cube that could be held in your palm would be a little eaiser to lug around than one the size of a crate. Besides, being smaller makes it cuter ^_^ (I toyed with the idea of it making a purring noise occasionally; I may just give it that ability back)

Well, I had intended for the sharing of spells to be optional in the first place, but apparently it didn't get worded right. I'll get on that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Companion cube.... buwhahahahahahaha

*awaits an inflatable golem*
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-02-11 at 10:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

I am in favor of having the cube purr...

Also, how do they reproduce/where do they come from/creation rules?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-02-11 at 11:58 AM.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

I am in favor of having the cube purr...

Alsow how do they reproduce/where do they come from/creation rules?
    That's coming up in the lore section. I'll put that up this afternoon following school and a doctor's appointment before the competition deadline.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-02-13 at 11:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Okay Draco, it's had a few days worth of edits. What do you think now?
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

More precise details on how someone who HASN'T seen her goes about contacting the mother of teeth would be nice.

You also have an error in the lore section. You say she gets let out for a day, but even if the sacrifices all average 10 CON (which is the most likely case if victems are selected for for their ease of capture or beauty or something) and the minimum number of sacrifices are performed, then that means 120 hours, or 5 days. Although technically this is JUST the sort of dangerous mistake that incomplete information contains, I still suspect this is a typo, and if it isn't you should specifically point that out (in a footnote probably), and include the CORRECT information at the highest level of information in the Lore section.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #135

Saying "one day" in the lore was a fanciful way of saying "some day"

I did some tweaking to stuff and added everything except i speciall attack and the combat section.

Oh and there's a picture now

the only applicable pic I could find that was postable by the rules anyway
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Since everyone seems to forget how to figure out the appropriate lore DCs, I thought I'd post a reminder. From the SRD:
    In general, the DC of such a knowledge check equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster.

For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information.
    Since the vaincloak has 5 HD, the DC checks would be at 15, 20, 25 and 30.

Since the mother of teeth has 50 the normal DC would be 55, 60, 65, etc. However, this does seem excessive even for an epic creature so dropping it down some makes sense.

The sample bower would be DC 12, DC 17, DC 22.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the reminder. I actually know the formula, there is a specific reason I am violating it that I need to explain in the opening paragraph...
    Basically, for the upper level stuff the formula gives a perfectly appropriate DC, and if I have some reason to cause it to shift a few points either way, then so what? The problem with using the formula is that Devotion Bowers can look like almost any kind of tree (although there are certain clues what with the thorns and the mix of vines and branches), and often disguise themselves to avoid unwanted attentions from angry parents etc. Thus recognizing one in the first place is rather hard, but once you realize the species, the lore that goes with the name isn't that obscure.
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Have made some noticable additions in moving the work toward completion. It turns out the clarification that Debihuman had "reminded" me to make was already in place (or I am pretty sure it was... in any case it is definitely there now), but I added underlining for emphasis since it was obviously easy to miss.

The most recent updates I typed up MOSTLY concerned the "Lover's Rescue" and "Lover's Paradise" sections for the devotion bower (the cut and paste for the example undying devotion is way behind but I will probably save that later).
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #139

I had no idea there was a formula use it always seemed random to me. I'll fix that.
    Orcs and Goblins

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Thanks for the reminder. I actually know the formula, there is a specific reason I am violating it that I need to explain in the opening paragraph...
    Basically, for the upper level stuff the formula gives a perfectly appropriate DC, and if I have some reason to cause it to shift a few points either way, then so what? The problem with using the formula is that Devotion Bowers can look like almost any kind of tree (although there are certain clues what with the thorns and the mix of vines and branches), and often disguise themselves to avoid unwanted attentions from angry parents etc. Thus recognizing one in the first place is rather hard, but once you realize the species, the lore that goes with the name isn't that obscure.
    Ahh. By your reasoning then, the Lore DC should be the Knowledge check plus the bonus is for the creature's Disguise. Unfortunately, you didn't give them any ranks in disguise.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-02-15 at 10:27 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

might have aleady been answered somewhere, but are templates fair game for the contest? so long as they use a stat block and follow the other formatting rules, they are still unique creations.

reasoning: i could create a monster that was inspired by the chimera, but change some fluff, give it different kinds of heads, different attacks and strategies, and it would be a legal monster for the contest.

or i could create a template, slap it on to the chimera, and have it do the same thing, but also be applicable to other monsters. in the end, it accomplishes the same thing, and my current brainstorm works better as a template than as an actual, pre-statted monster.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

22. - Top - End - #142
    Banned

Nope, rule #6, no steenkin' templates. I'll probably have a template month sometime though.

23. - Top - End - #143

Okay, theoretically, unless I missed something, the Mother is done except for CR. Which I'll be taking a guess at shortly.
    Orcs and Goblins

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Devotion Bower should be finished now I THINK.
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Nope, rule #6, no steenkin' templates. I'll probably have a template month sometime though.
    yeah, i figured i missed something.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Mother of Teeth needs spells.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #147

Mother of Teeth needs spells.
    How many do I give her though? As a Wizard theoretically she could know every spell of 5th level or less.
    Orcs and Goblins

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

No idea, but giving the "Typically prepared" listings is much more important than what is in her book.

And could I get some critique? Quite frankly I was worried there would be entries that would push the envelop of explicitness more than mine and had amped mine up just a bit to mine to make it fit the contest parameters a bit better and to make it so we didn't have something like the houri someone posted a while back('good' aligned outsider that sleeps with people as a reward for great deeds or some such... WHAT?! Ok, so it probably fits the mythos it comes from, but I still feel it worthy of a 'counter-argument'*) go "unanswered". Would the creature be improved by toning it back a little?

*Unfortunately, the one I had in mind is very tricky to get the game mechanics of working just right...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-02-17 at 10:20 AM.
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

No idea, but giving the "Typically prepared" listings is much more important than what is in her book.

And could I get some critique? Quite frankly I was worried there would be entries that would push the envelop of explicitness more than mine and had amped mine up just a bit to mine to make it fit the contest parameters a bit better and to make it so we didn't have something like the houri someone posted a while back('good' aligned outsider that sleeps with people as a reward for great deeds or some such... WHAT?! Ok, so it probably fits the mythos it comes from, but I still feel it worthy of a 'counter-argument'*) go "unanswered". Would the creature be improved by toning it back a little?

*Unfortunately, the one I had in mind is very tricky to get the game mechanics of working just right...
    Not gonna lie to you, your entry is....a little long winded. Trust me, I know that writing a really in-depth description of your creation feels awesome, but the amount of text that goes into the introduction, as well as the abilities of creatures with lower challenge ratings, makes your entry really inconvenient for a DM to use.

For the Incorporeal Subtype, a link to the SRD should suffice, but my overall suggestion would be to copy everything you've got, paste it into Word (or program of your choice), cull everything except the bare minimum, and then start re-posting most of the fluff. Pretend like it actually is going in a Monster Manual and is limited to no more than 3 pages.

It's not the writing itself, which is fine, just that the sheer amount of text is, well, intimidating

Edit: The Companion Cube is now officially complete. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-02-17 at 11:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

The Clone Couple's up. I'm not too fond of the name but its better than the first one I thought of.

I'll try to add a sample encounter this evening or tommorow.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door