New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feats that rock

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Feats that rock

What feats would you say are the most useful of all?
    For most melee builds, Power Attack is awesome enough to be near mandatory.
    Improved Initative is one of those feats that can help no matter what your build is, as going first in battle is always handy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Feats that rock

Leadership
    Natural Spell
    Divine Metamagic (and related Extra Turnings)
    Quicken Spell
    Persistent Spell
    Song of the Heart
    Words of Creation
    Extraordinary Artisan
    Legendary Artisan
    Font of Inspiration
    Power Attack
    Shock Trooper
    Robilar's Gambit
    Karmic Strike
    Combat Reflexes
    Mage Slayer
    Defensive Sweep
    Stand Still
    Leap Attack
    Improved Trip
    Knock-Down
    Knockback
    Large and In Charge
    Rapid Shot
    Extend Spell
    Craven
    Chain Spell
    Flyby Attack
    Stormguard Warrior
    Shadowblade
    Weapon Finesse
    ...and I'm out of breath. Psionics, Incarnum and Binding are completely missing still, along with a hundred others I'm not thinking of right now.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-01-03 at 12:42 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Eldariel already got the sine qua non of Rogue feats, Craven, so I'll just add Savvy Rogue. It's another feat that keeps on giving, because it provides benefits for all the Rogue special abilities -- including those you take after Savvy Rogue.

For archer types with precision damage: Greater Manyshot.

If your DM actually enforces the Spot rules ("Trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action."), then you really must have Quick Reconnoiter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Repeater Crossbow). Totally.
    Psychic Strike.
    Skill Focus (Concentration)

Hundreds of others.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Throw anything

Exotic Weapon Proficiancy: Electric Guitar.

6. - Top - End - #6

Improved Initiative.

Weapon Finesse

Basically anything that makes a concept viable, like Daring Outlaw, you grab 3 levels of Swash, get Int to Damage, and then you go all the way into Rogue to be a better Swashbuckler than finishing the class would net you.

Now you can play the Brains over Brawn type Rogue who instead of being powerful, knows exactly where to hit you to make it hurt.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Egiam View Post
    Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Repeater Crossbow). Totally.
    Psychic Strike.
    Skill Focus (Concentration)

Hundreds of others.
    Skill Focus: Concentration sucks in fact go check out feats that suck. There's plently proof there
    And an ownage feat? Combat Panache. Yes please. Make the enemy's damage cheese kill his allies and that's only one function.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Throw anything

Exotic Weapon Proficiancy: Electric Guitar.
    Combo - Power attack and EWP: Electric Guitar. AXE ATTACK!!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Draconic Aura [Vigor]: infinite out of combat healing to half max? Yes please!
    Dragon Prophesier: which leads to....
    Prophecy's Shaper: empower basically all your spells every fight, woo hoo!
    Prophecy's Artifex: quicken a wand or staff for the duration of every fight
    or Prophecy's Hero: a few free action points a day, which can be combined with...
    Wand Surge: activate a wand or staff using 1 action point per charge
    Minor Shapeshift: get your level in temporary hp every round? I has regenerative shielding!
    Versatile Spellcaster: screw the rules, I have excess spell slots!
    Sculpt Spell: who said anything about a fireball
    Residual Metamagic: you basically only have to pay for metamagic every other round as long as you're casting the same spell
    Shield Charge/Shield Slam: you knock them off balance with your shield, reminds me of Twilight Princess
    Brutal Strike: you bludgeon them so hard they take -2 to pretty much everything

That's most of them off my own list of awesome feats, though that's mostly for the less talked about ones I like.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Scorpion's Resolve - +4 on saves vs. mind affecting spells and abilities. +4!. No prereqs. Compare to Iron Will, which it stacks with, BTW...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Scorpion's Resolve - +4 on saves vs. mind affecting spells and abilities. +4!. No prereqs. Compare to Iron Will, which it stacks with, BTW...
    And what about Echo Power.

It gives a +Infinity bonus to Int checks to win chess games.

Seriously, +4 against a specific subset of Will saves that are the easiest types to negate. I mean, +4 for a feat, or you can have someone cast Protection from Evil/Mindblank/ect.
    Last edited by Blood_Lord; 2009-01-03 at 08:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Lord View Post
    Seriously, +4 against a specific subset of Will saves that are the easiest types to negate. I mean, +4 for a feat, or you can have someone cast Protection from Evil/Mindblank/ect.
    I still think it's a pretty sweet deal, especially at lower levels. +4 against what are generally save or sucks. The core only gives you a feat that gives +2. And let's face it, 90% of Will saves are against mind effects. The only notable (common) exception that springs to mind is Glitterdust.

Protection from Evil has a limited duration, especially if you're getting it from a wand (Magic Circle against Evil has a better duration, but is more costly). Otherwise, you are eating into the caster's spell resources, not to mention that you may be called on to make a save unexpectedly, before you can get a spell up. Also, casting spells costs precious actions, if you're going to do it in combat. A permanent item costs a significant amount of cash.

13. - Top - End - #13

Steadfast Determination: in the right build it gives more than just a little bonus, but it still gives a decent portion with regards to will saves for melee combatants outside of ToB.
    Arcane Strike
    Dragonfire Inspiration: Replace my inspiration bonus with d6s? Gimme!
    Travel Devotion
    Daring Outlaw
    Swift Hunter
    Fantastic avatar by Akrim.elf.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Complete Scoundrel had a great idea where instead of making up new PrCs that are just combinations of a couple existing classes, you could just take a feat to let levels of certain (usually weaker) classes count as levels of another class for the purpose of a few abilities. The general idea is that some classes suck hard enough that adding a scaling part of another class onto them doesn't even affect overall game balance.

Here:
    • Ascetic Stalker - Pretty bad: Monk+Ninja and it's only unarmed damage and Ki pool
    • Daring Outlaw - Rogue/Swashbucker levels stack for Grace, Dodge Bonus, and Sneak Attack
    • Daring Warrior - Fighter/Swashbuckler levels stack for Grace, Dodge Bonus, and feat qualification
    • Martial Stalker - Fighter/Ninja levels stack for Ki pool, AC Bonus, and feat qualification
    • Master Spellthief - Spellthief/Arcane Caster levels stack for Steal Spell, Caster Level, and Armored Casting
    • Swift Ambusher - Rogue/Scout levels stack for Skirmish
    • Swift Hunter - Ranger/Scout levels stack for Skirmish and Favored Enemy

Anyway, they're amazing feats, but since they're on not-so-amazing classes, they won't see much use in high-power builds. After this book came out, certain classes could be reduced to dips without actually losing important features.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2009-01-03 at 08:53 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Devil

I still think it's a pretty sweet deal, especially at lower levels. +4 against what are generally save or sucks. The core only gives you a feat that gives +2. And let's face it, 90% of Will saves are against mind effects. The only notable (common) exception that springs to mind is Glitterdust.

Protection from Evil has a limited duration, especially if you're getting it from a wand (Magic Circle against Evil has a better duration, but is more costly). Otherwise, you are eating into the caster's spell resources, not to mention that you may be called on to make a save unexpectedly, before you can get a spell up. Also, casting spells costs precious actions, if you're going to do it in combat. A permanent item costs a significant amount of cash.
    Or you could just not care about a +4 twice per level and take a feat that lets you do something.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu! Hippopotami don't rebuke themselves.

17. - Top - End - #17

Or you could just not care about a +4 twice per level and take a feat that lets you do something.
    Hey, lay off the guy. Last time I checked we let other people have opinions on this forum and don't make flaming comments just to start a childish argument.

Now I want you to apologize or its ten minutes on the time out chair for you.
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu! Hippopotami don't rebuke themselves.
    And not to mention the ever important clause, "You'll never be attacked by a wild hippopotamus."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drakeblood4 View Post
    Hey, lay off the guy. Last time I checked we let other people have opinions on this forum and don't make flaming comments just to start a childish argument.

Now I want you to apologize or its ten minutes on the time out chair for you.
    Someone fetch this man a moderator hat.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, a +4 against Deep Slumber, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Charm Person or a Harpy's song is completely useless, especially for someone with a poor Will save. There is no place for defense in 3.5, obviously...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    And not to mention the ever important clause, "You'll never be attacked by a wild hippopotamus."
    Woah, there, let's not get ahead of ourselves. "You'll never be attacked by a wild hippotamus unless magically compelled."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Devil

Yes, a +4 against Deep Slumber, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Charm Person or a Harpy's song is completely useless, especially for someone with a poor Will save. There is no place for defense in 3.5, obviously...
    Since you could get the same +4 for a feat that also lets you use relics, or +5-14 for two feats that applies to all will saves ever made.

Or you just rely on your +base save +6 resistance +2-4 morale +2 luck.

Or you could get a spell with a duration of 24-48 hours cast on you.

Yeah, there is room for defense in D&D, there is no room for blowing a feat on a +4 to one very specific type of defense that is really easy to negate.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Since you could get the same +4 for a feat that also lets you use relics, or +5-14 for two feats that applies to all will saves ever made.

Or you just rely on your +base save +6 resistance +2-4 morale +2 luck.

Or you could get a spell with a duration of 24-48 hours cast on you.

Yeah, there is room for defense in D&D, there is no room for blowing a feat on a +4 to one very specific type of defense that is really easy to negate.
    Well, I guess we disagree. Imagine that!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Where is Craven from? I can't find it...

For that matter, where did Savvy Rogue come from.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Craven = Champions of Ruin (FR)
    Savvy Rogue = Complete Scoundrel

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...ts&tablesort=1

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Well, Complete Scoundrel had a great idea where instead of making up new PrCs that are just combinations of a couple existing classes, you could just take a feat to let levels of certain (usually weaker) classes count as levels of another class for the purpose of a few abilities.
    The general idea was actually pioneered in Complete Adventurer, which has a bunch of those too. And yes, a lot of them are pretty nice.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

FMArthur's post reminded me of another good one: Sacred Outlaw, from Dragon # 357. This adds Rogue and Cleric levels for undead turning and sneak attack damage. A pretty decent fit using the Cloistered Cleric variant (6 skill points/level!).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Darkstalker is pretty neat. I'm also a fan of Elusive Target (only thing that makes Dodge and Mobility worth taking) and Divine Might (makes Paladin turning useful for something), both from CWar. Plus the multi-class feats from Complete Scoundrel and Adventurer already mentioned.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2009-01-04 at 01:36 AM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Favorite feats....

Deep Impact - touch attacks ftw!
    Instant Clarity - so broken it's not even funny, especially combined with the previous
    Martial Study - just awesome; ToB for the man on the go!
    Item Familiar - so broken it's not even funny.
    Divine Metamagic: Persist - this one feat is almost solely responsible for Czilla, at least in practice where there's few opportunities to prebuff.*
    Natural Spell - this one feat is almost solely responsible for Dzilla, at least before Shapechange.*
    Improved Trip - always solid in humanoid-heavy campaigns; a focussed tripper can keep pretty much any other character flat on its back AND lay on the hurt at the same time.
    Improved Grapple - always solid in humanoid-heavy campaigns; a focussed grappler can totally shut down most other characters, and rings of FoM are never as common as some people seem to suggest.
    Deflect Arrows - totally shut down an entire combat style? Yes please!
    Leadership - famously broken, and plain fun
    Font of Inspiration - makes my favorite class awesome!
    Roll With It - best DR potential this side of Mineral Warrior
    ANYTHING AT ALL LISTED HERE - because SAD breaks things.

* I'm aware that Cleric and Druid are entirely respectable without these two options, but combat clerics do rather rely on prebuffs, and most druids do rather rely on being able to stay in animal form, and without those the classes generally descend from "zilla" to "merely powerful".
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2009-01-04 at 02:54 AM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

From the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide

Sharpshooter
    Adds your Dex to damage with Ranged Weapons

Aurum Omius Alchemist
    A number of benifits including reduced costs of potions and reduced crafting time

Advanced Synthesis
    A weeks work in a Day when making Alchemicals for a harder check

Maximize Alchemy
    As it says, for a slightly harder DC when crafting
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet