New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Torg/D6 system games: Worth it?

The title says it all. I am considering purchasing these through Paizo.

1. Are they (any or all) in your opinion worth buying, as in, I will use/want to use them?
    2. If yes to 1, why?
    3. If yes to 1 and 2 sells me on it, is there a cheaper way to buy these?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Torg/D6 system games: Worth it?

Torg is a very innovative genre-mixing RPG that is extremely flexible in both settings and mechanics. If you want a cinematic/pulp/horror campaign, this is a very good choice.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Is that any OR all of cinematic pulp and horror? or is it modular such that I can use just what I want of the material, like Gurps? Also, do you know anything about D6 Space, Fantasy, or Adventure? I had heard that space was similar to Star Wars.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, D6 Space is basically the rule system they used for D6 Star Wars. The D6 system is quite fun, but West End Games have had some serious financial woes, so don't hold your breath waiting for new D6 product.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

No, I was jut thinking "maybe I should pick the three book set and/or Torg Revised & Updated before WEG goes completely out of business and they become unavailable" actually.

I am well aware of WEG's financial woes.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Chances are they will never become completely unavailable, worst case scenario Noble Knight Games will probably stock them. The copies I have seen in recent memory were going pretty cheap, though, so it is probably a good time to buy. On the other hand, you can pretty much be sure that West End Games will eventually be bought up by somebody and D6 will be remarketed.

I was considering picking up D6 Space when it looked like they were going to distribute the Septimus campaign setting, but when that fell through, I lost most of my interest.

Fact is, D6 is a fun system with similar applicability to D20, but already having Star Wars D6 I am not inclined to pick up the rules in generic form. I would certainly encourage you to pick up any Star Wars D6 material you can find, though.

I could see myself running Star Gate D6, Farscape D6, Serenity/Firefly D6, or pretty much any other licensed property using the D6 system (and likely in preference to D20), but as a "generic" game it lacks appeal to me, and I would advise Savage Worlds as an alternative.

On the other hand, if you are totally unfamiliar with the D6 system, then it might be worth picking up Space D6 just to see how it works.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)