New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 4e Damage question

I'm a bit confused about the order to do adding, subtracting, dividing, and multiplying when it comes to damage.

Let's say a Hunter uses a melee ability that does 3d8+10 fire and necrotic damage.

The target, an undead, has resistance 10 necrotic and 5 fire. It's also Insubstantial. Just to make things more complicated, that undead is standing beside a Pack Zombie which has Lurching Sacrifice.

Lurching Sacrifice (immediate interrupt; encounter): This power triggers automatically when a nonminion ally adjacent to a pack zombie is hit by a melee attack. The pack zombie is destroyed, and the damage dealt to the ally is reduced by 5.

So the question: How do you do the math? What's the correct order? Thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: 4e Damage question

Okay, first, preventing necrotic and fire damage requires both resistances. So you'd take the lower. Assume you roll 15 on the dice, making a total of 25 damage.

Fire resist = 5, Necrotic resist = 10, the lower: 5.

20 damage.

Reduce this by another 5 for the pack zombie.

15 damage.

Really simple, no multiplication or division required.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SadisticFishing View Post
    Really simple, no multiplication or division required.
    But it's insubstantial. Divide by 2. The question is, is the damage (25-10)/2 or (25-5)/2-5 or (25)/2-10?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I don't have a rule to back it up, but I'd half the initial damage due to being insubstantial. So 25/2 - 10. My argument is that they were only quasi-in the real world when it's hit, and even the part of it that was hit naturally resists 5 of that.

The zombie, I'm putting at the end, because I feel like it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Insubstantial reduces damage taken by half. At what step is this factored in?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if I'm correct, but I'd put all the multiplications at the end of the equation.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

If it's he same as 3.5 (which it's probably not), the math always happens in the fashion most advantageous to the players. The reasoning here is that the players will be on the receiving end of math for the entire game, whereas the monsters will only be on the receiving end for one fight.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

As I recall the FAQ ruling was that the math always happens in the way most advantageous to whoever has the abilities in question. How fire resistance and vulnerability interact does not depend on whether the creature with them is a PC or not, it's always resistance first, then vulnerability.

In this case, the abilities in question are insubstantial, resistance, and the zombie's thing. The most favorable way to combine them for the side that has them is to divide first, then subtract. (25/2) - 10 = 2 damage (always round down).
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9

[QUOTE=douglas;5608503]As I recall the FAQ ruling was that the math always happens in the way most advantageous to whoever has the abilities in question. How fire resistance and vulnerability interact does not depend on whether the creature with them is a PC or not, it's always resistance first, then vulnerability.[QUOTE]

I agree to a point. The pack zombie's ability is not an ability of the target, and shouldn't be considered until the damage done to the target is taken into account.

So I get 25 (damage) / 2 (insubstantial) - 5 (resistance) = 7 damage to the target.

Lurching sacrifice then kicks in and the target ends up taking 2hp damage.

EDIT: After re-checking your post, I realised that your "-10" was my "-5 -5", so maybe we agree entirely after all
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2009-01-08 at 12:36 AM.
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

You first apply vulnerability/resistance, then cut it in a half with insubstantial: source.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

11. - Top - End - #11

...dammit, I hate the damage rules. Why couldn't they have made it nice and explicit like they did in M:tG, and have damage be first -assigned-, then be -dealt-, then be -taken-?

The reason why I object is that with a name like "Lurching Sacrifice", I imagine the zombie going *lurch* and soaking the blow for the nonminion ally, and I'd expect that the "damage reduced by 5" effect to mean that damage assigned to the target is reduced by 5, not that damage the target takes is reduced by 5.

Thus you'd have 25 damage initially assigned; Lurching Sacrifice automatically activates as an immediate interrupt = 20 damage assigned; 20 damage assigned - 5 lowest resistance = 15 damage dealt; 15 damage dealt/2 insubstantial = 7 damage taken.

Nice, clean, unambiguous. I think.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I can understand them not doing that, because it makes it less likely to do something that screws things up. Mix up "dealt" and "taken" in one line that the editors miss, and you can (theoretically) wind up with some seriously screwy stuff. Just look at all the confusion surrounding Rain of Blows, which could be fixed by adding or changing just one word.

HOWEVER.

I agree that it would be nice if it was more clear. Sometimes things can be a real bitch to find, and the rule about making things as advantageous to the target as possible is one such thing (I still can't find it ). If they made things like that more clear and more obvious, it'd clear stuff up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!