New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Forged of Salt and Sand [Materials]

Saltstone
    Saltstone is a alchemically-created, semi-metallic stone created from salts and various minerals gathered from a leech salt flat*, or condensed from a red sea*. It superficially resembles sandstone, but has a slightly metallic sheen, and is flecked with white veins of salt. Drops of water spilled on a piece of sandstone is absorbed within a matter of seconds, though it cannot absorb water in large quantities.

Any weapon made of metal can be made of saltstone. A creature damaged by a saltstone weapon must make DC 15 Fortitude save or become dehydrated*. Once a creature has saved against a saltstone weapon, regardless of whether it succeeded, it cannot be affected again by the same weapon for 24 hours.

Shadowglass has 20 hp per inch of thickness and hardness 10.

Saltstone Cost Modifiers
    {table="head"]Type of Item|Cost Modifier
    Weapon|+5,000 gp
    Other|+500 gp/pound[/table]

Umbrian
    Umbrian is an obsidian-like substance formed of black sand* alloyed with shadow sand*, charged with negative energy and the essence of shadows. Umbrian is always pure black, and supernaturally cold to the touch. Umbrian emits minute amounts of negative energy, causing it to “smell” highly attractive to undead creatures, who seek to possess as much as possible of it. Umbrian blocks out all natural light, and all magical light, save that from spells with a caster level higher than that of the umbrian item (if the umbrian item is not magical, treat it as having a caster level of 1). Because of this, windows or similar made of umbrian are often favored by vampires and similar creatures.

Any weapon made of metal can be made of umbrian. By giving a command word, the wielder of a umbrian weapon can sheath it in an aura of negative energy, which lasts until the command word is given again. While sheathed in negative energy, the weapon deals an additional 1d6 points of negative energy on a successful hit. However, it drains life force from its wielder, dealing one point of damage to him each round he wields it as long as the negative energy property is activated. Undead creatures are healed, rather than harmed, by this damage.

Any armor made of metal can be made of umbrian. Umbrian armor can partially negate any weaknesses to sunlight its wearer has. Whenever a creature with vulnerability to sunlight is exposed to sunlight while wearing umbrian armor, there is a percent chance that it will not be affected. The chance is equal to the base armor bonus of the armor times 10%. Umbrian shields grant no such benefit.

Umbrian has 10 hp per inch of thickness and hardness 5.

Umbrian Cost Modifiers
    {table="head"]Type of Item|Cost Modifier
    Window|+50 gp/square ft.
    Light Armor|+2,500 gp
    Medium Armor|+7,500 gp
    Heavy Armor|+10,000 gp
    Weapon|+4,000 gp
    Other|+500 gp/pound[/table]

See Sandstorm for more information.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2006-11-08 at 09:39 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Forged of Salt and Sand [Materials]

How much water can a pound of saltstone hold? Example: I threw a saltstone longsword in a lake...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maerok View Post
    How much water can a pound of saltstone hold? Example: I threw a saltstone longsword in a lake...
    Not much. Think of what an appropriately sized sponge can do, and you've got a pretty good idea of it. It's a nifty flavor effect, not a useful ability.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

....yoink!

( )

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The dehydration effect of Saltstone: is that "performs a saving throw" or "successfully saves"?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Just my nit to pick:

Shadowglass has 20 hp per inch of thickness and hardness 10.

It should be Saltstone, no?
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'