Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The World Is Dark: Diplomacy

Spring 1901

From their distant thrones and offices the leaders of Europe survey their domains. They can all sense it. The old peace has fragmented. Change is in the air. Some among their number will rise to power, while others will fall into obscurity. War is coming, spies are planted, deceptions and falsehoods will come. Because from their distant thrones, they can only see so much. The world below is dark and only the flames of war can light up Europe.

The World is changing... they can feel it in the air... and so on and so forth...

The map, once more, for your benefit (EDIT: and now spoilered, there you go neftran). Enjoy it, because it's the last one I'll post before the game ends.

Spoiler
    Show

And the players...

Austria - viggo
    England - Blood_Lord
    France - Neftran
    Germany - metagaia
    Italy - Qualia
    Russia - Moody the Wise
    Turkey - Meshakhad

In order for me to confirm you're in the game, everyone should check in, preferably in character. Now get discussing and diplomating.

A note:
    spying orders should be formatted as such:

England spies on France (for england to learn the french orders)
    England - counterintelligence - France (for england to learn who france is spying on)
    England spies on Switzerland (for england to learn the current SC count of each player

Attach them to the bottom of your orders.

Order Deadline to be set once everyone has checked in
    Last edited by thewamp; 2009-01-12 at 01:00 AM.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair
    Turkey - Fly Like a Butterfly
    French Austrians - Realpolitik

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: The World Is Dark: Diplomacy

--urgent telegram to Kaiser Meta Gaia--

Reports have been received of a secret organisation butchering all the spies in Europe. Our last spy in London was reported dead a few hours ago, and his posthumous reports indicate that this is happening Europe wide. A new era of darkness has begun, so I humbly recommend that this is the time to strike.

Speak out to your allies and use them as your eyes and your ears, we have but one master spy remaining, so use him well, he cannot be everywhere at once. The time is waiting Kaiser, a new era for the fatherland has begun.

Spymaster Killallhelm.

OOC: Checking in as requested, anyone wanting to reach me will probably receive a faster reply at [email protected]. Good luck everyone!

EDIT: Germany blind... hoo boy this could be brief...
    Last edited by metagaia; 2009-01-11 at 07:23 PM.
    What in the name of German alternative rock group Falco are you doing here?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Devil

England checking in.

This is a bit funny to me, seeing as I've played many a dip game, and most of them as England, not necessarily out of love. Will see how blind England plays. Probably no change actually. England is remarkably similar in initial moves blind or not.

Post forthcoming, but PMs will be sent before I set about with initial post.
    Last edited by Blood_Lord; 2009-01-11 at 08:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Checking in as France.
    Edit: Can you please spoiler the map? It's stretching my screen.
    Oh and one question: Will you be providing us with a complete listing of every move so that we may do our own maps? Or do we just shoot in the dark and hope we're right?
    Last edited by Neftren; 2009-01-11 at 09:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Mozza Russia iz here. Zis vill be interesting. I only veesh Vexen vere here, so ve could have epic rematch of A Great War!
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Oh and one question: Will you be providing us with a complete listing of every move so that we may do our own maps? Or do we just shoot in the dark and hope we're right?
    It's blind... so obviously you'll know your moves. I'll let you know how those turned out, if any units directly interacted with your units or SCs, I'll let you know, and you'll have whatever your spies tell you. Other than that, you've got to just do the best you can. But that's the point.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2009-01-12 at 01:20 AM.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

His Holiness, the Pope wishes to convey his formal greetings to the peoples of Europe, and assure them they he will be willing to provide them with spiritual guidance as they enter a new century.

Go in Peace

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OCC Italy checking in

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Sultan Meshakhad checking in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid_lord View Post
    I rise from the depths of hell once more to answer the call of...MESHAKHAD!!!!
    Founder/Rabbi of the Kazumi Kato and Daigo ???? Fanclub

Gordon Freeman avatar by Dr. Bath.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

King Viggo of Austria reporting for duty
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

10. - Top - End - #10

Well everyone's here...

Spring 1901 Orders Due Sunday at 2300 Hours, EST (GMT-5)

EDIT: Also, a minor break from the written rules that shouldn't affect anything but semantics.
    If you submit a set of orders like the following, I will consider only the last order for a given territory (on a line-by-line basis)
    Example:
    F nap - ion
    A rom - apu
    F nap - tys
    A ven - pie

In these orders, I would ignore F nap-ion, because it was overwritten from F nap-tys

The reason is that in adjudicating orders, jdip (the program that I use) will adjudicate in this way, as I've just found out in flames of war, I can't be counted on to reliably notice this (once people have 8-10 or more SCs).

If anyone has any issues with this, let me know. It's pretty much just a semantics issue to improve reliability of me.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2009-01-14 at 08:51 PM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

11. - Top - End - #11

This is your 24 Hour Warning
    Get those orders in...

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

12. - Top - End - #12

Spring 1901 Results are Out
    Blood_Lord, yours will be out as soon as I can send you PMs

Obviously there are no retreats
    Fall 1901 Orders due Thursday at 2300 Hours EST (GMT-5)

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thewamp View Post
    [SIZE="5"]
    Obviously there are no retreats
    Aww, so my supported attack on Marseilles didn't work?

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ok, Given that Blood lord is banned (and having read some of his posts on other threads it did have an air of inevitability about it) Are we looking for a new player for England? I have his email address and could contact him if people really want to try and continue the game with him. And I know that you can't tell us the orders obviously, but can I confirm that he did submit orders before the deadline?

Edit:
    Will submit some press tomorrow, promise!
    Last edited by metagaia; 2009-01-19 at 09:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Turkish Legions Invade [CENSORED]!
    The Sultan's Legions launched a devastating invasion of [CENSORED]. Nothing stands in their way of total dominion, save the crude and incompetent [CENSORED] armies.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Die Berliner
    German army spots nobody!
    Die Berliner can exlcusivly report that the German army has run into no-one in the first half of this year!

Puzzled tanks drive around in circles waiting for something to shoot but so far the enemies have proven more elusive than a polite Frenchman. Journalists from all over Germnay decided to take photo's of some lovely trees instead, to make the papers look more cheerful.

"We know they are some armies out there," says General Stew Peed. "But we suspect they have develped optic stealth technology, so we can't see them."

Germans predict that as a result of the lack of opposition, the war should be over by Christmas.
    Last edited by metagaia; 2009-01-20 at 07:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by metagaia View Post
    Ok, Given that Blood lord is banned (and having read some of his posts on other threads it did have an air of inevitability about it) Are we looking for a new player for England? I have his email address and could contact him if people really want to try and continue the game with him. And I know that you can't tell us the orders obviously, but can I confirm that he did submit orders before the deadline?

Edit:
    Will submit some press tomorrow, promise!
    Okay, so it's a bit of an iffy issue... I don't think we're even allowed to have him, banned, participating in a game that's on the boards. I'm not sure though. In any case, assuming we're not, we've got a backup England, but Blood Lord was banned before he could contact me... you can infer whatever you like from that.

Point being, I'm going to ask to do something pretty unorthodox here. Since it's a blind game, I'd like to give England the chance to retroactively issue moves. This could affect existing moves, depending on whether or not adjacent powers issued moves that would be affected. If you're okay with that, cool. If not, you've got 24 hours to protest (though a single protest and I won't do it).

Anyway, I'm going to wait 24 hours and then contact the new possible England. If you all are okay with the above proposition, I'll ask the new England to immediately and without discussing anything submit Spring 1901 Orders. If not, he'll come in in the fall.

Either way,
    I'm postponing Fall 1901 Orders till Sunday at 2300
    to give time to deal with this.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yeah, new player is probably easiest.

If Blood Lord was an NMR then I would say definitly with regards to the new moves. With regards to giving him alternative moves if some were submitted I am a little torn. My moves would not change regardless of who plays England, but France's and Russia's might, and I would definitely want their opinion before going ahead.

I would say it's ok, but obviously you need more input than that.

It sounds a little arrogant I know, but I would rather not negotiate until the new England has submitted their moves, so anyone who PMs me from this point will not receive a reply until that point. It seems fairest to me.

19. - Top - End - #19

Sorry, I meant to make it clear: England NMRed. That was what "he never got in contact with me" was meant to imply.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

yeah, sorry about that, just wasn't 100% sure, definitely support England getting their own orders then.
    Last edited by metagaia; 2009-01-20 at 07:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

protest!!!!!

i care not
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Go ahead. Give England their moves.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies for the late French orders. We had some technical difficulties.

(If you're interested, my Harddrive went haywire and I had to do a complete reformat and install all three of my operating systems again.)

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueKnightGuy

Go ahead and give the new England a chance at Spring 1901 orders. However, I would also like to say that I'd prefer to be able to talk with this person first ... maybe we could have a quick (day or two) redo of the first season?

-Albert Einstein

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    Go ahead and give the new England a chance at Spring 1901 orders. However, I would also like to say that I'd prefer to be able to talk with this person first ... maybe we could have a quick (day or two) redo of the first season?
    Hmm, it will benefit some people more than others. I can imagine Austria, Italy and Turkey not caring less, while The Kaiser, President and Tzar diplomatice furiously.

Also, even though it is blind, your unsuccessful moves and spying give quite a lot of info over what people intended. So I would say just go with the original idea myself.

26. - Top - End - #26

England has been contacted and if he's in, he and I will post in the thread confirming, once I have his Spring 1901 orders

Also, heads up, a pair of people asked me if I could do this and it sounded fair:

The concept is, two people want to send each other simultaneous messages. They each send me the message and once I've received one message from each person, I pass on the messages. Of course, it'd be really easy to play the other person by sending a message containing nothing, so I'm not sure how this really gives anyone an advantage (which is why I allowed it in the first place). Since it seems to give no advantage, I'm going to do this unless someone objects, but I posted it here to let people know I'd do it in the future. One objection though and the concept is sunk. You have 24 hours to object.

I'm equating this, in live diplomacy terms, to two people writing on slips of paper and passing them to each other simultaneously.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2009-01-21 at 03:52 PM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

27. - Top - End - #27

Jamin is the New England!
    For all those whom his orders affected if any and for all those who spied on England, if any, updated Spring 1901 Results have already been sent.

So yeah, you can all get back to that diplomating. Sorry for the hickup and hurry, hurry, hurry. Orders are still due Sunday

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

28. - Top - End - #28

This is your 29 Hour Warning
    Because there's no way I'm going to be online at 11 on a saturday night...

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Pope issues plea for peace

His Holiness, the Pope, has issued a plea for peace as tensions rise across Europe. Whilst the balkans continues to act as a powderkeg, there have been rumours of a 'night of the long knives' in the British Government and many are unsure who holds power over the United Kingdom.

30. - Top - End - #30

Greetings Nations of the World. After our old leader was outed because of foul manners I King Edmund am now running England. Anyone and everyone is welcome to treat with us.
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar