New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Good ol' cliches

I'm planning to goad my friends into a D&D campaign with a somewhat different flavor than usual: Playing it like a cliche-riddled computer RPG, for laughs. I'm going to start it out at an idyllic village, full of flowers and sunshine and happy children, where nothing bad ever happens (and you know what happens next), feature a masked evil overlord type who insists on launching into melodramatic speeches before battles, fallen PC's coming back to life after a battle ends, NPC's giving out rewards for menial quests, the PC's being the only competent people around who can save the day etc. etc.

Could you guys help me out with ideas? Point out illogical RPG cliches that can be exploited for fun and silliness?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Good ol' cliches

The problem with using Cliche's for laughs is that you need to differentiate yourself from someone who is just using the cliches.
    Currently, if you do the above adventure as you have described it, the players wont think "HA, that wacky DM, subverting RPG cliches" they will think "That was cliche"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Make sure you keep a tight grip on the characters' personalities and backstories. For example, all of the characters must be orphans. Any dwarf characters must be extremely grumpy and usually drunk. Any elf characters must be drop-dead gorgeous. Any wizards must wear tall pointy hats.

Make sure there's a side quest to rescue a beautiful princess from a tower at some point. Bonus points if the tower is guarded by some kind of dragon.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

This.

(It needs to be at least 10 characters bleargh gabba gabba hey)

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74
    Make sure you keep a tight grip on the characters' personalities and backstories. For example, all of the characters must be orphans. Any dwarf characters must be extremely grumpy and usually drunk. Any elf characters must be drop-dead gorgeous. Any wizards must wear tall pointy hats.

Make sure there's a side quest to rescue a beautiful princess from a tower at some point. Bonus points if the tower is guarded by some kind of dragon.
    Furthermore, if the princess is evil and she's captured a good dragon that is such a common subversion of the trope that it almost counts as a new trope.

Females must be rogues and clerics, possibly wizards. The party leader must be a Fighter. Have everyone gain an elemental power later - the party leader gets Fire.

They all have evil twins.

In order to leave the idyllic valley where the town is, they have to ask the old man mayor for a key to the ancient tunnel through the mountains. But before he gives them the key he demands that they go into the sewers to rescue his missing cat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
    Specifically this if you're going for RPG tropes.

Remember, Tropes Are Not Bad.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Make sure all magic used by NPCs is as vaguely described as possible. Never mention any particular spells, they've simply "used their magics".
    When describing the Big Bad and his/her forces, use words such as "evil", "wicked", "foul" or "cruel" at least once per sentence.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #8

PirateCaptain

first quest must be to kill rats in a basement.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

9. - Top - End - #9

The BBEG has to have a stupid weapon that's improbably sized.

This can mean he uses a tiny flaming scourge, or a giant katana. When there aren't any Asian cultures in your campaign. Yet there is sushi.

10. - Top - End - #10

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Oh yes, and elves despite being fey must ask like the archetype for lawful neutral

Also have one of your characters (Preferably a human fighter) have some sort of ancestral sword, that or a an old rusty blade that later turns out to be the ultimate weapon of good

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

if "Sunshine Happy Land" is very evil, and Masked Overlord is the well intentioned but a little extreme Good Guy, thats a very basic subversion.

But yes, plain cliches, even straight cliche subversions, get old fast.

Playing around with tropes which haven't yet reached cliche status, however, has a lot to recommend it.

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateCaptain

thought of another, have a wise old man help out the party at times they really need it, but he never, never enters combat but yet comments on how the main characters fight.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

You might want to take a look at the Undead Horse Tropes (like a Dead Horse trope but still alive) or Omnipresent Tropes that are so common you never notice them anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14

They did this. They called it The Slayers. They even made a d20 supplement.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Every NPC must speak precisely one sentence, and repeat that whenever asked anything.

Welcome to Corneria.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your party must be five members.

The leader, the lancer, the smart guy, the brute, and the chick.

They must also save the world. Even better if they have to stop a wizard from summoning some sort of world eating monster.

Also, they have to fight The Dragon before defeating the bad guy.

Alternatively, you can go uber subversive with a party of evil/good guys who have to save the world from good (being overrun with scenty flowers and snuggley bears). You must rescure the evil princess from the gold dragon in this scenario (bonus points if said evil princess is preggers with gold dragon spawn--nature versus nurture!)

17. - Top - End - #17

Make sure to have side quests or hidden treasures that are guarded by monsters that are ten times stronger than the final boss is.

Have save points; demand that PC's use a tent, cabin, or house when resting anywhere but an Inn.
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

18. - Top - End - #18

The BBEG has to be fought in various ever-more difficult forms. The final form is this huge nasty demon thing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

You need to have locked doors. When you get to them a cloud pops up that says you need the key. When you kill a beast it poofs in a puff of smoke and leaves behind a giant key that needs to be held with two hands or over your shoulder.

When you get to the locked door all you have to do is point the key at the door and it opens by itself and the key vanishes. Music plays and you go onto the next level.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian
    You need to have locked doors. When you get to them a cloud pops up that says you need the key. When you kill a beast it poofs in a puff of smoke and leaves behind a giant key that needs to be held with two hands or over your shoulder.

When you get to the locked door all you have to do is point the key at the door and it opens by itself and the key vanishes. Music plays and you go onto the next level.
    Whenever the PCs find a magic item, whoever gets it has to hold it up above his head for the whole world to see!

*DOO DOO DOO!*

I'm gonna do that with a character sometime.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by dixieboy View Post
    Oh yes, and elves despite being fey must ask like the archetype for lawful neutral
    Actually that's sterotypical Lawful Neutral. Archetypal Lawful Neutral would be Havelock Vetinari or Baron Klaus Wulfenbach.

Quote Originally Posted by dixieboy View Post
    Also have one of your characters (Preferably a human fighter) have some sort of ancestral sword, that or a an old rusty blade that later turns out to be the ultimate weapon of good
    And if its still a rusty old sword that vaguely resembles a hacksaw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

Unimportant NPC's don't get to speak. They have text boxes instead. As the text boxes go by you hear a "charlie brown" style nonsense voice in the background.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Wolves carry coins and rings for some weird reason
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

When you take damage you can get points back by picking up hearts. They can be cartoon style hearts. Or actual meaty, bloody, still beating hearts.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

All these cliche's are strictly enforced by a society led by epic-level bards. People found breaking the cliche get beaten up, if they do it again, they vanish and nobody hears of them again. Example
    Player: Ow, that dragon was tough, my arm's broken and I've got third-degree burns over half my body. Ooh look! An Inn
    *player sleeps at the in, wakes up unhealed*
    Player: What a ripoff *shouts VIOLATION out the window*
    A group of thugs show up and start beating up the innkeeper, who gives the player a free nights stay. The next night, a group of clerics sneak into the players room and heal him up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Tales of Symphonia is littered with RPG clichés. It may provide you with some inspiration.

Also, MacGuffins. Search for them, collect them, etc.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin 89 View Post
    Wolves carry coins and rings for some weird reason
    And Spoons. Don't forget spoons.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

The end boss of each level has a glowing red dot (weak spot) that is momentarily exposed every few rounds when their armor opens (for no known reason) and the red dot flashes every time it is hit. More and more smoke and flames come out as the red dot is hit. In the end the boss explodes leaving some kind of prize.

Every time you kill a boos the GM gives you a summary of how many xp's coins and hearts you have. If you kill enough enemies you get an extra man.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

There must be only a few archetypes of villains. Goblins gently increase in power from the, uh, sick goblin to the goblin god. And they all look the same, apart from coloration.

Bats. There must always be bats. Possibly giant roaches as well.

There must always be someone competing with the party. This person/party usually meets with the party, skirmishes, then runs off. They occaisionally perform better than the PCs to acquire a semi-useful Macguffin. Shortly before the end of the game campaign, the two parties will fight and the rivals will be defeated to pass on the torch, symbolically, to their rivals.

There will always be an attractive (possibly scantily clad) female who is powerful, works for the BBEG, hands the party its butt on a regular basis, then gets betrayed by BBEG or something or seducedredeemed by the 'good guys' at which time she'll become completely useless, being little more than a cheerleader for the party.

The last PC to join the party must be a low level functionary of the BBEG. The party will fight this character, who will be incredibly difficult to defeat. Upon his or her defeat, he or she will join the part at level 1.

For a more modern feel, have every important NPC speak to the player/party in gender neutral terms.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

And Spoons. Don't forget spoons.
    But...but...there is no spoon!

Sorry, wrong genre.
    Last edited by monty; 2009-01-12 at 09:55 PM.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous