New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Kobold Dragonfire Adept Question

Hi there,

does a dragonfire adept kobold loose his breath weapon, while in humanoid shape via an invocation? Thanks for your input.

Bye

Will

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kobold Dragonfire Adept Question

I don;t think you would lose it due to how the breath is class based (if it was a race feature, I think you would lose it).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

The breath weapon is a supernatural class feature here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on what method you're using to change forms, but typically you never lose class-based special attacks or special qualities, or feats. That means you'd most likely keep a class-based breath weapon regardless of form, though a racial breath attack such as that of a Half-Dragon would be lost in another form.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

No, it does not.
    If you had any kobold feats, like dragonwrought or the one that gets you wings, then I believe you would lose those for the duration, but since it is a class ability, no.
    Another way of looking at it would be "does a wizard loses it's spellcasting if it uses Alter Self?"
    Last edited by wadledo; 2009-01-16 at 01:32 PM.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I dunno, I think the confusion is valid, and that DM ruling will be necessary. What you guys are all saying makes sense, but if you look carefully at the RAW:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Change Shape

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities. A true seeing spell or ability reveals the creature’s natural form. A creature using change shape reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. A creature cannot use change shape to take the form of a creature with a template. Changing shape results in the following changes to the creature:
    [snip]
    The creature retains all other special attacks and qualities of its original form, except for breath weapons and gaze attacks.
    (Emphasis added.)

So, by RAW, it comes down to a debate over whether the breath weapon is "of the DFA's form." Pretty vague. I would rule that indeed the breath weapon is retained because it is a class ability, but I think DMs would be within their rights to interpret this passage otherwise.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2009-01-16 at 01:46 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The breath weapon doesn't come by virtue of form, it comes by virtue of it being that class, the DFA. If he was an awakened dire weasel, he would still retain his breath weapon when using his humanoid form SLA, because the breath weapon is a feature of the class, not of the form of a dire weasel. Not that complicated OR ambiguous, really.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"