New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Will: Pigeonholed?

Just about everything needs Reflex saves, and most things will need Fortitude for one reason or another.

But Will... it seems all effects that I can find requiring Will saveshas the [Mind-Affecting] descriptor. Similarly, it seems constructs essentially don't require their Will saves.

Can anyone give me examples of effects requiring Will saves that constructs are not immune to or that do not have the [Mind-Affecting] descriptor?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Will: Pigeonholed?

Glitterdust. Slow. Illusions. Lots of silly Will Negates: harmless stuff like Invisibility and Veil. Telekinesis. Scrying. Disjunction. Silence.
    Last edited by Glimbur; 2009-01-17 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Adding more information.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Slow, Glitterdust, Bestow Curse, Chaos Hammer, Banishment, Soul Bind.. the connecting thread, of course, being that none of these are Enchantments or Illusions.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Glitterdust and Slow are the big ones. They may be only two spells, but they're two of the most popular core spells around, and they're nasty.

At higher levels, there's stuff out there that's much worse. The violet prismatic effect tosses you to another plane on a failed Will save, as does Plane Shift, and then there's Elemental Maw from the Spell Compendium.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

(Psionic) Time Hop.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Just about everything needs Reflex saves,
    ?

Never noticed that. Reflex save is mainly used for traps and damage spells/abilities. Trample is one other thing I can think of, although it's also "just" damage.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Trample comes under something that you could theoretically twist out from under- minimizing damage, hence, reflex.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    ?

Never noticed that. Reflex save is mainly used for traps and damage spells/abilities. Trample is one other thing I can think of, although it's also "just" damage.
    Web... It doesn't give a single damage, so it can't be 'just' damage.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Reflex: If its remotely plausible that quick reactions and physical flexibility combined will mitigate or avoid the problem, whatever it is, reflex should come in.

Web- You jump or flex at the right moment and it fails to grab you.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-01-18 at 08:06 AM.