Thread: Ghille suit

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Ghille suit

Does a ghille suit always give a plus 10 to hide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ghille suit

That much of a bonus is typically reserved for magic items. A standard Masterwork Tool is a +2 bonus.

Also, I would only allow it to work in appropriate terrain. If you have a suit for the jungle, it should not help in, say, the desert or the arctic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

You might want to have tagged this with [D20 Modern] or something.

But I digress. A Ghillie Suit provides a +10 bonus to hide, so long as it has the correct camouflage for the situation, which can be changed as a full round action.

While it doesn't actually say how many you can have, presumably you pick two types of camo from the 'camo fatigues' list, and you switch types as a move action.

Of course, wearing it completely screws over everything else, so it balances out. It's a -4 penalty on everything Dex, and melee - the only thing it doesn't screw over is ranged attacks.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-01-18 at 06:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Presumably not in urban terrain, or in the abyss, or in anywhere where 'camo green + indistinct shape' doesn't blend in.
    constantly the worst - voted 4th most valuable arts & entertainment brand in Crying Girl magazine - banned from everything - never a good post m,- sucks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Is there a way to fit it to urban or hell because thats where we wil be

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Not using real-world physics.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You've got a letter missing; it's a Ghillie suit.

There is such a thing as urban camouflage; that's what Snake Plissken wore in Escape from New York.

I'm not sure how you'd stat that for D20 Modern, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'm not sure how you'd stat that for D20 Modern, though.
    +3 competance bonus on Profession(Gangsta) and on social checks with anyone from G-Unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

They've already made ghillie suits for pretty much every terrain type. Just make Urban/Infernal Planes different terrain types and run with it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

In case it escaped notice somehow, a Ghillie suit doesn't function by making you look exactly like a plant, it works by making you distinctly unlike a human being.

Humans are extremely good at recognizing faces and the shapes of bodies- we fail horribly at recognizing random lumps of stuff, and if it's the same general color as it's surroundings, the tendency is to just ignore it. Movement also factors in- we expect things we search for to move. Our eyes and brain are permanently physically set up to make that tradeoff. Ghillie suits work so well because we have to struggle up-hill against everything in our instincts to find them.

In an urban area, someone in a ghillie suit with actual urban camouflage (not the decorative stuff pictured, we're talking dull grays and browns in a more random, tightly spaced pattern) is going to escape anything short of a full security alert. It would take a dedicated search, with a good number of people for the given area to be searched, with specific orders to look for anything unusual, and good lighting conditions.

However, if the environment is angular and barren, with no cover (and such environments are rare, even a ghillie suit is going to stand out. Make sure to learn as much as you can about the terrain you're going into, while it might not be much, you can at least make an informed decision as to whether speed or stealth is going to work better.
    Last edited by Zincorium; 2009-01-18 at 07:43 PM.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

And if you intend on using it the traditional way, you'd likely end up looking like part of a trashpile. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I understood intellectually how camouflage actually worked, but didn't really experience it until I was in the airport recently before Christmas.

There were a lot of soldiers around the airport in desert camo, stood out in the airport, but at one point I was standing behind someone, wearing a backpack that was the same camo style (not lining up the pattern, but blended with the body). Made my eyes water despite knowing there was a backpack there.

It was then that I really understood how well it can work to break up someone's outline and help them evade casual notice, and even "I know there's something here somewhere" for a decent sized area. Not gonna help disappear in a brightly lit 10 by 10 room where the observer knows you're there and is looking for you, though, it's not an invisibility cloak.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

So I bought an urban Ghillie suit. Do I add +10 to Misc on hide.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    So I bought an urban Ghillie suit. Do I add +10 to Misc on hide.
    In urban environments, yes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Pimpinly sweet

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Er, sort of. It should be an equipment bonus. Not that this is going to matter unless you have additional equipment to hide yourself, but wearing, say, a regular suit of camouflage under a ghillie suit shouldn't help, but if the bonuses are miscellaneous, it would.

I've found reality is really good at preventing possible exploits. Heck, clerics, wizards and druids have always been banned in my reality.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

The book says you can use a move action to change colors. So would one suit work for all terrains?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I just checked my charcter sheet he is 4th lvl and (with the suit) he gets automatic +28 on hide check (+31 if in rocky or subterrain setting)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    The book says you can use a move action to change colors. So would one suit work for all terrains?
    Id say not, you'd need a rather bulky suit to cover all terrain types
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

I'm pretty sure you gather up stuff to put on the suit

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You may add a few plants to fine-tune your Ghillie suit's appearance, but the bulk of the suit is made beforehand, quite laboriously. The camouflage of the suit consists of many individual strips of fabric that need to be sewn, by hand, to the garment at the core. These strips are what breaks up the human outline and turns the suit into what resembles a pile of ground of the appropriate type.

There's absolutely no way you can make a Ghillie suit crafted for one type of setting into one suited for an entirely different one just by gathering up local materials. If it were that easy, everybody would have excellent, terrain-specific camouflage, pretty much all the time. That just doesn't happen.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I'm just going by what the book says. here is a quote:

Ghillie Suit

The ultimate in camouflage, a ghillie suit is a loose mesh overgarment covered in strips of burlap in woodland colors, to which other camouflaging elements can easily be added. A figure under a ghillie suit is nearly impossible to discern.

A character wearing a ghillie suit with appropriate coloration gains a +10 bonus on Hide checks. (The suit’s coloration can be changed with a move action. However, the bulky suit imposes a penalty of –4 on all Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks (except Hide), and melee attack rolls