New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default I Swear It's Not a Highlander Reference [Template]

Ageless
    The Ageless are creatures imbued with almost limitless lifeforce. While they can die just as any other creature, they are amazingly hardy. Their skin turns asides blades, flame and spells, and they have all but conquered the slow death of age. The Ageless seem no different from other creatures of their kind. There are three ways to become an Ageless, detailed below.

Creating An Ageless
    Ageless is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal, living creature.

Size and Type
    Size and type remain unchanged.

Armor Class
    An Agelessís natural armor bonus to AC increases by 5.

Special Qualities
    An Ageless retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following qualities.

* Damage reduction: 1/- (If HD 6 or less), 3/- (If HD 7-11), or 5/- (If HD 12+)
    * Immunity to non-magical poisons and diseases
    * Resistance 5 to all energy types (If HD 6 or less), 10 to all energy types, (If HD 7-11), or 15 to all energy types (If HD 12+)
    * Spell resistance equal to creatureís HD + 10 (maximum 35).

Improved Healing (Ex)
    An Ageless heals 1 point of damage per level every hour rather than every day. (This ability cannot be aided by the Heal skill.) Nonlethal damage heals at a rate of 1 point of damage per level every 5 minutes. If an Ageless loses a limb, an organ, or any other body part, it is regenerated, as the spell, after 1d10 minutes.

Long-Lived (Ex)
    While the Ageless die of old age, their lives can span centuries. An Ageless does not take penalties from aging, though any penalties accrued before the template is gained remain. In addition, his maximum age is ten times greater the normal maximum age of his race.

Abilities
    Increase from the base creature as follows: Con +6

Challenge Rating
    HD 5 or less, as base creature +1; HD 6 to 10, as base creature +2; HD 11 or more, as base creature +3.

Level Adjustment
    Same as base creature +4.

Becoming an Ageless
    There are three ways to become an Ageless. The first is to be born to an Ageless. The child of an Ageless and a mortal has a 1% chance to born as an Ageless, while the percentage rises to 20% for the child of two Ageless.

The second is through the use of the excise death spell or psionic excise death power, as detailed below. The third way is through use of the chalice of life triumphant, an artifact detailed below.

Excise Death
    Conjuration and Transmutation [Healing]
    Level: Clr 9, Drd 9, Sor/Wiz 9
    Components: V, S, XP
    Casting Time: 24 hours
    Range: Touch
    Target: Corporeal, living creature touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You overload the targetís body with life energy, transforming him into an Ageless. He immediately gains a +4 level adjustment, increasing the amount of xp needed for him to reach his next experience level.

XP Cost:
    25,000 xp. In addition to the XP cost you must pay, the target of this spell must also pay the XP cost, assuming he fails his save.

Psionic Excise Death
    Psychometabolism
    Level: Psion/Wilder 9
    Display: Olfacotry
    Power Points: 17, XP

As excise death, except as above.

Chalice of Life Triumphant
    The Chalice of Life Triumphant is a massive cup three feet in height carved from a single giant diamond. Once per decade, any corporeal living creature who drinks from the chalice after filling it with life-charged water gathered from the Positive Energy Plane becomes an Ageless, as the excise death spell.

Overwhelming Conjuration and Transmutation, CL 21st. Major Artifact.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: I Swear It's Not a Highlander Reference [Templ

I take it you mean for it to be possible to kill them normally, just really difficult?
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

God, I love those bonuses! Sign me up today! I wanna be immortal!

DR 5, Energy resist 15, immunity to poison, +5 AC, good SR, and immunity to Vorpal attacks (your head gets immediately Regenerated when it is removed)!
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban
    I take it you mean for it to be possible to kill them normally, just really difficult?
    Yep.

and immunity to Vorpal attacks (your head gets immediately Regenerated when it is removed)!
    Not quite. Can't regenerate if you're dead.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Demented_One
    Not quite. Can't regenerate if you're dead.
    I know. I was just hoping. :'(

...I still wanna be one. Think I've accumulated 25K XP yet in my life?

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Azrad

I know. I was just hoping. :'(

...I still wanna be one. Think I've accumulated 25K XP yet in my life?
    Forget that. You know the holy grail's really just a chalice of life triumphant? Find yourself that, and you're good to go.

7. - Top - End - #7

Forget that. You know the holy grail's really just a chalice of life triumphant? Find yourself that, and you're good to go.
    Really? Sweet! I've got, like, four of those already! Immortality, here I come!

...what the... this is Mountain Dew!

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Azrad

Really? Sweet! I've got, like, four of those already! Immortality, here I come!

...what the... this is Mountain Dew!
    LOL! I'm pretty sure he said "life triumphant," not "eternal torment!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yay, now we have an explanation for why casters always live for hundreds of years for no reason!
    As in, it's always something like "magic makes it happen", but now we have the spell and template that tells us how.
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    sheer awesomeness

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Yay, now we have an explanation for why casters always live for hundreds of years for no reason!
    As in, it's always something like "magic makes it happen", but now we have the spell and template that tells us how.
    I really see this not as a caster template. If a caster was to use this on himself, he'd gain a +4 LA and have to spend 50,000 xp--yikes! This is more something where a noble warrior seeks out a wizened archmage or powerful artifact hoping to become immortal--think Gilgamesh and Utnapishnim, or Arthur and the Grail.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I really see this not as a caster template. If a caster was to use this on himself, he'd gain a +4 LA and have to spend 50,000 xp--yikes! This is more something where a noble warrior seeks out a wizened archmage or powerful artifact hoping to become immortal--think Gilgamesh and Utnapishnim, or Arthur and the Grail.
    Well, sure, it's horrible for a PC, but what about the 1000 year old NPC? Not that the DM needs a reason, but now there's a template that can explain it, an it feels more legit cause the players could do it too if they wanted. Course, it'd still probly be a rare spell, requiring you to research it based on rumors or learn it from the oldest wizened sages.

Hey, you could make it into a caster PrC. It'd have to lose some casting levels, but it'd be better than going GSA, at least this way you get to keep your humanity.
    sheer awesomeness

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

MitP Vote: Yes

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Well, sure, it's horrible for a PC, but what about the 1000 year old NPC? Not that the DM needs a reason, but now there's a template that can explain it, an it feels more legit cause the players could do it too if they wanted. Course, it'd still probly be a rare spell, requiring you to research it based on rumors or learn it from the oldest wizened sages.

Hey, you could make it into a caster PrC. It'd have to lose some casting levels, but it'd be better than going GSA, at least this way you get to keep your humanity.
    Or you "discover' it through "independent research" at 17th level (Yes, the rules are broken)

Cekiatar

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ver, very nice.

Project CUTE:&&http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543005 05

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Perhaps you dould add a Material Component: blood of royalty, which must be imbibed by the spell target. If the target has royal blood, this may be ignored. This is not easily found, and has no market price.

16. - Top - End - #16

Wouldn't it be an Acquired or Inherited Template if you can, y'know, acquire it?
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

As opposed to what? Those are the only two ways to get templates anyway. You acquire them or inherit them. No other way.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

As opposed to being only inherited, I think.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As for the royal blood requirement: one, that's not too hard. Any wizard worth his salt could get a hole of that with a little work (doesn't have to be the king, just a nice lesser noble), and two: if I'm reading it right, the caster will pay 50,000xp (25k to cast+25k for being the target). And gain a +4 level adjustment. I don't have my PHB handy, but what level will you have 50 thousand xp handy without losing a level?
    sheer awesomeness

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Bleh, I meant nobility as in king, queen, prince, or princess. It should be that. Dukes and such don't count. They don't have the blood of kings inside them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall
    Bleh, I meant nobility as in king, queen, prince, or princess. It should be that. Dukes and such don't count. They don't have the blood of kings inside them.
    Some of 'em do. In some cases, that's why they're Dukes in the first place.

22. - Top - End - #22

Also, the Chalice is a bit hard to work. The Energy Planes are empty voids; they don't even have atmospheres, but provide pressure by the sheer amount of life/death in them.

That said, they are inner planes, and the Elemental Planes have pockets of other, even opposing, elements in them. It's not inconceivable that there would be a water pocket on the PeP. Still, having to find a pocket of another element in an energy plane makes it nigh-impossible, and artifacts that only work once/decade should be more easy to work, I think.

I don't have any suggestions for exactly what to replace it with, though. Ordinary water doesn't really work.
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by I_Got_This_Name
    Also, the Chalice is a bit hard to work. The Energy Planes are empty voids; they don't even have atmospheres, but provide pressure by the sheer amount of life/death in them.

That said, they are inner planes, and the Elemental Planes have pockets of other, even opposing, elements in them. It's not inconceivable that there would be a water pocket on the PeP. Still, having to find a pocket of another element in an energy plane makes it nigh-impossible, and artifacts that only work once/decade should be more easy to work, I think.

I don't have any suggestions for exactly what to replace it with, though. Ordinary water doesn't really work.
    3.5 has moved away from the "total void" approach to the energy planes, so there's nothing saying you couldn't have a fountain of life-charged water deep within the Positive Energy Plane. In addition, now that the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Steam is described as a border region between the Positive Energy Plane and the Plane of Water, you could potentially travel there and collect some of the mist, which could then be condensed into water.

24. - Top - End - #24

The 3.5 DMG says nothing about it having any terrain; it's a subjective gravity plane, and none of those have any significant ground in them. I was going by the 3.0 MotP, because it gives a page (at a minimum) to each plane, anyway, and flavor updates straight across.

The plane of Steam works, though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by I_Got_This_Name
    The 3.5 DMG says nothing about it having any terrain; it's a subjective gravity plane, and none of those have any significant ground in them. I was going by the 3.0 MotP, because it gives a page (at a minimum) to each plane, anyway, and flavor updates straight across.
    Yes, but several sites in the Positive Energy Plane have been detailed in other sources, such as Magic of Incarnum's Bastion of Souls.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

The spells do something you can't even accomplish with a Wish. I think they should be epic-level, even with that XP cost.

DnD rules make it very, very difficult to live beyond your natural age, sub-Epic. I think they do it for a reason, so this makes me a bit nervous.

Also, the english pedant in me dislikes the name - these folks are not immortal, if their lifespans are simply increased a set amount. They are and remain mortal. Maybe call them Long-Lived, or Gilgameshes, or something?

-Lep

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

Maybe call them Long-Lived, or Gilgameshes, or something?
    lol

can see this in a few campaigns, looks fun names all wrong, like he said cant be immortal if you can die.

MITP VOTE: YES
    We dont make bombing runs with \"Bigby\'s Crushing Tactical Nuke\". Unless we have a pool going as to who can get the closest to the target.&&&&No You will not use Unseen Servant in that manner. I don\'t care if it feels nice.&&&&avatar by dispozition

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leperflesh
    The spells do something you can't even accomplish with a Wish. I think they should be epic-level, even with that XP cost.

DnD rules make it very, very difficult to live beyond your natural age, sub-Epic. I think they do it for a reason, so this makes me a bit nervous.
    Seeing as there is a LA +0 race that actually is immortal, I think it's fine.

Also, the english pedant in me dislikes the name - these folks are not immortal, if their lifespans are simply increased a set amount. They are and remain mortal. Maybe call them Long-Lived, or Gilgameshes, or something?
    -Lep
    Perhaps Ageless would work better?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One
    Seeing as there is a LA +0 race that actually is immortal, I think it's fine.

Perhaps Ageless would work better?
    which race is this O.o
    We dont make bombing runs with \"Bigby\'s Crushing Tactical Nuke\". Unless we have a pool going as to who can get the closest to the target.&&&&No You will not use Unseen Servant in that manner. I don\'t care if it feels nice.&&&&avatar by dispozition

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Two, actually. Elans (XPH) and Warforged (Eberron).