A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Votes Tallied

I hope you're not all expecting me to go the cannibalism/humanitarian route if you choose Hunger.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Votes Tallied

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I hope you're not all expecting me to go the cannibalism/humanitarian route if you choose Hunger.
    I was actually imagining more of a 'steal all the community's fish, causing them to starve' kind-of-guy when I voted for it, but whatever.

Not every villain needs to be be horribly evil.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

You aren't thinking some sort of metaphorical hunger, like the villain is hungry for justice?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Villain VI! (3.X) [Now Voting: Motivation]

right, well switching to the winning side

-1 Ambition +1 Hunger
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afroakuma
    Or it could be mindlessly hungry. As in, not mindless (so it can be a villain) but its hunger totally overrides everything.

-1 Curiosity, +1 Ambition
    Last edited by LordZarth; 2009-01-26 at 07:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Default Votes Tallied

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    right, well switching to the winning side

-1 Ambition +1 Hunger
    ...it was winning by two. One, if you hadn't done this.

whatever.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Ambition. Afro seems to have something in mind...
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if I know my eastern mermaids correctly, there is precedent...

But I voted against Hunger for a reason.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, I don't care HOW you do it, I just want to see a villain motivated by a base need. I do hope that you won't go with the "hunger for power/money/xyz" since that's a cop-out IMO. But I doubt you'll do that.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Meh, I don't care HOW you do it, I just want to see a villain motivated by a base need. I do hope that you won't go with the "hunger for power/money/xyz" since that's a cop-out IMO. But I doubt you'll do that.
    Oh God no. That would be cheating.

11. - Top - End - #311

Are we waiting another day or did Hunger win?
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

12. - Top - End - #312
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hunger sounds more boring than Ambition to me, for this villain.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's have some ambition.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ambition, it sounds like the right sort of motivation for an evil Merfolk spellcaster.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to extend it a few extra hours to make up for the lost time.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Much as I hate changing my vote, I'm going to anyway.

-1 Entertainment
    +1 Ambition
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I vote Hunger. Yay for eating!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

This poll officially closes in 16 minutes, after which time new votes will be invalidated.

19. - Top - End - #319

This VUAV has had so much time lost to server problems.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoo! Ambition for the win! Take that, you hungry, Hungry Hippos!

Seriously though, I look forward to this opening act crazy villain that will be perfect to throw against party's just starting out.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Villain VI! (3.X) [Voting Closed, Villain Pending]

Oops! Forgot to tie this up.

The winning motivation is the new one, Ambition.

This concludes the voting. The resulting villain, Prince Meridius, will be posted shortly.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

So, we're getting Namor the Sub-Mariner then?
    Last edited by Juhn; 2009-01-27 at 05:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

The words absolutely not come to mind...

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, yeah. I've always liked Namor, but I don't think inserting him into DnD would be a particularly good idea.

That and the purpose of these contests is to come up with something both original and awesome.

As for the annoyed emote, you did see the tongue emote that was intended to inform that I was not serious about that, right?

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Namor just annoys me. On a "What were you thinking and how is it that you have more money than me when this is your fault?" level.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always liked Namor. There's something about his arrogant bastardry that makes him infinitely more interesting than, say, Aquaman (if we're working in undersea superheroes, at least.)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Orc in the Playground

frown Awwwww

And I was gonna vote for Love.

And Namor is a classic case of why I didn't want merfolk.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, nobody here wants this villain to resemble Namor (afro himself included, most importantly).

I was just pointing out that I like Namor as a character, as I've nothing much better to do in this thread while afro works. If this villain ends up like Namor I will be disappointed, confused, and somewhat ashamed. I don't think we have to worry about that happening though.

My original comment was a joke. Hence the tongue emote.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Magnificent bastard, yes. Namor, most certainly not.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Villain VI! (3.X) [Voting Closed, Villain Complete!]

Prince Meridius
    Medium Humanoid (Aquatic)
    Merfolk Level 4 Sorcerer
    HD 4d4+12 (22 hp)
    Speed 5 ft. (1 square); swim 50 ft.
    Init: +7
    AC 15; touch 15; flat-footed 10 (+5 Dex, +1 deflection, -1 trait)
    BAB +2; Grp +2
    Attack Masterwork dagger +8 melee (1d4, 19-20/x2) or shocking grasp +7 melee (4d6 electric) or light crossbow +7 ranged (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Full Attack Masterwork dagger +8 melee (1d4, 19-20/x2) or shocking grasp +7 melee (4d6 electric) or light crossbow +7 ranged (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Spells
    Special Qualities Amphibious, low-light vision
    Saves Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +9
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 20
    Skills Concentration +9, Diplomacy +7, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (arcana) +8
    Feats Easy Metamagic (Empower Spell), Easy Metamagic (Split Ray), Empower Spell, Split Ray, Weapon Finesse
    Traits Aggressive
    Flaws Cold-Blooded, Solitary Villain
    Challenge Rating 4 and a bit.
    Alignment Neutral evil

Prince Meridius is a power-hungry, expansionist undersea noble.

When in his natural form, Meridius is a slim merman with a strong jawline, silver eyes and jet-black hair. His skin is lightly tanned and his fishlike tail has midnight blue scales. His billowing, iridescent cloak suggests a trail of diaphanous, chromatic fins.

Combat
    When Meridius anticipates trouble, he will immediately don mage armor and conjure a shield from his magerings. If pressed into combat, he will employ ray of enfeeblement against any potential threats and shocking grasp against definite ones. Meridius is not above taking the form of a locathah, aquatic elf or even drowned human is he believes it will suit his needs. Meridius anticipates most conflict and will usually be prepared to do battle. If he has good reason to fear his own safety, he will employ his web and glitterdust magerings to confine groups which he can then shock to death or have dragged off at his leisure.

Spells Sorcerer Spells Known (6/8/4; save DC 15 + spell level): 0th - detect magic, detect poison, ray of frost, read magic, resistance, touch of fatigue. 1st – charm person, ray of enfeeblement, shocking grasp. 2nd - alter self. Caster level 4th, save DCs Charisma-based.

Amphibious (Ex) Meridius can breathe both air and water, although he rarely travels more than a few feet from the water’s edge in merman form.

Skills Prince Meridius has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. He can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. He can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.

Equipment Meridius has taken to wearing a black sharkskin vest and a belt of wrapped orange silk. He bears many rings on his gloved hands, some of which are secretly magerings. A ring of protection +1 made of blue coral is nestled among the rings on his right hand. A billowing, layered cloak of resistance +1 rests over his shoulders, iridescent in blue, navy, orange and gold. His gloves are black gloves of Dexterity +2 with sapphire and pearl trim. He wears a magering of mage armor with 50 charges and a magering of glitterdust with 10 charges on his left hand and a magering of shield with 50 charges and a magering of web with 10 charges on his right.

In his quarters, Meridius retains a potion of fox's cunning and four potions of cure light wounds.

Prince Meridius has double the wealth of a character of his level, owing to his noble birth and resources.

Prince Meridius

Fourth child of the Emperor Tropicus, Meridius was given an academic schooling instead of a political one, raised with his twin sister to be a member of his father's court and nothing more.

Fascinated by the history of his grandmother's empire and conquests, the young Prince came to desire power for himself. He his in doorways or took on magical disguises to learn the art of rulership and nobility from his brothers' tutors, and spent many nights gaining a social education under his mother's tacit approval.

When his second brother died defending his holdings from a sahuagin offensive, Meridius went to his father and begged to take command of the northern principality. The Emperor, impressed by his son's courage, gave Meridius the appointment.

Meridius soon found himself at the center of the bloody conflict between the sahuagin and the aquatic elves whose kingdom bordered the northern principality. Under his leadership, the domain was rebuilt and restored despite the battles that raged nearby, and his charismatic administration brought him popular accolade.

The Villainous Turn

However, Meridius had in fact orchestrated the sahaguin attack, determined to remove one obstacle from the line of succession. His consort, the malenti Skarleena, worked for the Prince as a secret liaison between his scheming clique and the sahuagin.

Still far from contention to the throne, but now landed and having formed alliances beyond the academic world, the Prince moved swiftly, pushing himself to greater skill with the closely guarded powers of magic. Barred from its study, he was forced to rely on honing his innate talents, working from desire and need alone in place of scroll and tome. His sorcerous bloodline responded to his efforts. Those who he needed became his fast allies; those who opposed him often turned up dead.

Prince Meridius went ashore, in the guise of a lordly human, and observed the intrigues of the local nobility for an hour each day. Over a month, he grew to understand how to turn events to his advantage. Returning to court, he established himself in the palace, subtly instigating a quarrel between his elder brother and sister. When their fight became a civil war, Meridius concealed his twin, Meridiana, by bringing her up to human lands and marrying her to a duke, transforming her into a human by means of a powerful magical item. With nobody observing him at the palace, he has been usurping his father's position via a mysterious "illness" caused by the prince's own spells.

Now, Meridius stokes the flames of his siblings' conflict, weakening their factions and removing yet more impediments to the throne. He plans to buy the allegiance of the sahuagin with a massive sacrifice from the human lands, calling them to attack and crushing both the sea devils and his elder siblings with one decisive action.

Encounters

Meridius often has to do small business on land, among the realms of his ally and brother-in-law, who is unaware of the Prince's true nature. His preferred human form differs little from his own, save for having legs. In the sea, Prince Meridius will be publicly seen with a coterie of guards and concubines, as well as a few hangers-on who see him as the future ruler.

In any environment, Meridius is suave, patient and cruel, with a penchant for sadism. He is highly goal-oriented and makes multiple casual attempts to direct conversation. The prince exploits his spells in social situations, charming those whose voice he requires and using touch of fatigue to discomfort, distract or dismiss those whose presence he no longer requires.

Meridius is cautiously respectful of his mother, the Queen Meridia, and loves his twin dearly, although he will freely exploit her. His primary goal is to accumulate power and territory under his rule, and reclaim the boundaries of the ancient merfolk empire, some of which currently run over dry land. In studying this, he has learned of an artifact, the Lance of the Meridian, seized long ago by human adventurers from merfolk lands, which he eventually wishes to claim.

Arrogant and superior, Meridius deigns vice and excess largely to prove himself better than others. He has three mermaid concubines as well as his malenti consort, and enjoys a few other dalliances. His true vice, when he gets to enjoy it, is torture; he especially enjoys drowning the landborn and performing private executions using shocking grasp. This penchant for viciousness is not entirely erased when he goes about publicly, giving him an indimidating air and causing those outside of his elite circle to give him a wide berth.

Plot Hooks

•A local duke has died and his wife has repeatedly tried to drown herself.

•An important noblewoman needs something stolen from her husband, but an unknown faction seems to have a similar intent.

•A merchant lord has hired a massive crew to go on a fishing expedition, only to have them all lost at sea. A priest has suspicions when the merchant tries a second time.

•Nearby lands are being stripped of livestock, and the bones of cow and pig are washing up on the shores.

•Sailors coming in to harbor report that a passage of sea is turning red.

•An elf clan from behind the waterfall has come to ask for aid against the growing strength of the sahuagin, since their longtime merfolk allies war against one another.

---

Magering

In the underwater realms, wood is not so easily come by, nor worked easily into the form of a wand. More useful are the local materials, and the shape of a ring, which is easier to bear through the currents, is preferred by the undersea races. As such, they have taken to eschew wands for magerings.

A magering is much like a wand, containing charges of a single spell of 4th level or lower. Magerings are worn on the hands, however, meaning their users may have access to several at a time. Magerings do not occupy ring slots on the body.

Unlike wands, the activation of a magering is done via a triggering gesture that provokes attacks of opportunity. The gesture is simple enough to ignore arcane spell failure from armor, but a character who is currently unable to perform somatic components (grappled etc.) cannot trigger a magering.

Magerings cost the same as wands; (750 gp per spell level) x (caster level).

---

Flaws

Disadvantages of birth, of raising or simply of character, flaws negatively impact characters in debilitating ways. The fact that a person with a flaw can hold his own with those less handicapped shows a particular exceptional quality. For each flaw a character has, he may select an additional feat. Flaws may only be taken at first level, and each character may have a maximum of two.

Cold-Blooded In his natural form, Prince Meridius fails all Fortitude saves to resist the effects of high temperatures. In his natural form, Meridius takes an additional two points of damage from any fire effect.

Solitary Villain Meridius is used to working alone, and is particularly ineffectual when fighting alongside allies. Meridius suffers a -4 penalty to attacks he makes while flanking.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-02-04 at 11:00 PM.