New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

HalfOrcPirate

Default Druids and divine metamagic?

Could a druid who took the variant where they gain the ability to turn or rebuke elementals, could he use divine metamagic?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Druids and divine metamagic?

From Complete Divine:
    Divine Metamagic
    Prerequisite: Ability to turn undead or rebuke undead.
    Emphasis mine. So, no.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was...efficient. I dunno, I guess I just feel like this thread deserves at least one more post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why you'd usually use the Simple Q&A thread for something like this.

Quick! Someone go off on a tangent from one of our posts so we have something to talk about!
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

What is this elemental rebuking variant? What do you give up for it?
    Sufficient?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

And you know, it would make sense to let turning or rebuking elementals to count for turning or rebuking undead. Or you could then replace elementals with undead. Neither options are RAW, but they're both pretty intuitive, I think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Number of Awesome Points Won: Serious

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You could just dip one level in Divine Exorcist - it costs you a grand total of 1HD off your maximum Wildshape, since the animal companion is the same for a Druid 19 and a Druid 20, and it advances spellcasting.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Divine Exorcist
    Clarification, that Sacred Exorcist from Complete Divine, and I don't think druids can qualify, since they gain neither Dissmissal nor Holy Smite as spells.

They also can't take Arcane Disciple, since they don't cast arcane spells.

So...some other way would be needed to add one of those 2 spells to your list. Extra Spell has been FAQed not to allow it as well.

I do remember a way, through casting a spell, a druid can gain TU for a short period of time, but under the rules, I guess you could use the ability to cast that spell for divine feats, especially DMM: Persist, because you could cast the spell, burn all of the TU attempts, and after it ends, you would still have the Persisted spells on you. I can't for the life of me remember the name of that spell though, though if someone searches the CharOp boards, I'd assume you could find it there. This method is highly cheezy though, I guess.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-01-24 at 10:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cleric dip anyone? You lose the same thing, except you don't have prereqs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Clarification, that Sacred Exorcist from Complete Divine, and I don't think druids can qualify, since they gain neither Dissmissal nor Holy Smite as spells.

My bad, you're right. I guess a 1-level dip in Cleric will have the same overall effect, though this time it costs a level of spellcasting in addition to the Wildshape reduction. There's probably some odd Ebberon feat that adds Dismissal to a druid's spell list, but I can't think of any way for them to get Holy Smite.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

If they exist in a Domain, a Druid could possibly get them by dipping into Contemplative (also Complete Divine).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    If they exist in a Domain, a Druid could possibly get them by dipping into Contemplative (also Complete Divine).
    Good and Glory both have Holy Smite, which would qualify. That knocks out 2 levels though. I guess the return is probably worth it though.

Except the fact that its really hard to qualify for Contemplative as a druid due to the knowledge skill requirements. Planar Druid Sub would help you, as would taking Knowledge Devotion at 3rd level, I'd assume.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-01-25 at 12:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Good and Glory both have Holy Smite, which would qualify. That knocks out 2 levels though. I guess the return is probably worth it though.

Except the fact that its really hard to qualify for Contemplative as a druid due to the knowledge skill requirements. Planar Druid Sub would help you, as would taking Knowledge Devotion at 3rd level, I'd assume.
    Ah, right - Druids don't get Knowledge(Religion) as a class skill, so 13 ranks in Knowledge(Religion) is a bit tough to come by pre-Epic. Isn't there a regional feat, Educated or some such, that makes all Knoweledge skills permanent class skills?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, there is that, or Knowledge Devotion. KD is great because you only need 1 Knowledge skill to qualify, and you get to pick any other Knowledge skill to make a class skill....permanently. So, put your 5 ranks in Knowledge: Nature, cause you are a good little tree hugger, and pick up Religion with it. Now, any time you fight animals, fey, or undead, you get +1 to +5 to hit and damage against them. Its pretty much awesome.