New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Archery prestige classes

I recall looking at a prestige class called 'Darkwood Sniper', and now I am unable to find it again. I would have sworn it was in a wizard's publication, but apparently I'm wrong.

Anyone know where this might be? Or have any other good sources for ranged combat prestige classes that don't suck?
    My gaming site Looking for contributors, designers, and artists!
    The Dragon Codex
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    I want it to be noted that you're good people. Seriously, you're a saint.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Archery prestige classes

3E Masters of the Wild.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Deepwood Sniper is in Masters of the Wild (3.0) and is a fairly good class
    Darkwood Stalker is in Complete Warrior (3.5) and is a fairly crappy class

Other archery PrCs of note:
    Order of the Bow Initiate (Sword & Fist, 3.0) - solid
    Order of the Bow Initiate (Complete Warrior, 3.0) - crappy
    Peerless Archer (Silver Marches, 3.0) - solid
    Justice of Weald and Woe (Champions of Ruin, 3.5) - decent
    Cragtop Archer (Races of Stone, 3.5) - decent (awesome for what it does, but what it does isn't the best thing ever)

Other than that, non-Archery specific classes such as Pious Templar (Complete Divine, 3.5), Templar (Defenders of the Faith, 3.0) and Weapon Master (Sword & Fist, 3.0) are pretty good.

EDIT: Since you asked for "ranged combat", I'm forced to mention Bloodstorm Blade (Tome of Battle, 3.5) and Master Thrower (Complete Warrior, 3.5), both of which kick total ass.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-02-01 at 12:08 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Complete Psionic gives the Soulknife the Soulbow - Turn your Mind Blade into a Mind Bow.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

What about arcane archer?
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin 89 View Post
    What about arcane archer?
    It's a 2-level long class for Wizards who want to shoot anti-magic fields far away. Costs quite a few feats towards that goal. Ironically, has very little to do with archery.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-02-01 at 12:52 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Deepwood Sniper is in Masters of the Wild (3.0) and is a fairly good class
    It always seemed as pretty strong class to me, and pretty much no brainer for any archer character.
    Other archery classes like Arcane Archer give you some weird (and weak) stuff while DS just give you insane range, powerful criticals, and a ability to hist more frequently. Simple and solid.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    It always seemed as pretty strong class to me, and pretty much no brainer for any archer character.
    Other archery classes like Arcane Archer give you some weird (and weak) stuff while DS just give you insane range, powerful criticals, and a ability to hist more frequently. Simple and solid.
    Well, it seems powerful compared to 3.5 Archery PrCs (which nobody ever uses, and for a good reason), but less so when it you put it next to 3.0 Order of the Bow Initiate and Peerless Archer. All 3 of them are extremely solid and allow for different, fine archer characters; Peerless Archer can perform for melee tricks such as Power Attack and Attacks of Opportunity with a bow, Deepwood Sniper really takes the Rogue-shtick in archery and Order of the Bow Initiate is the Fighter (in style, not in suckitude) of Archery - it just improves in the basic archery without really specializing in any areas; some extra damage, extra attacks, higher attack rolls, extra stat to attacks, no-AoO attacks, the works.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-02-01 at 01:12 PM.