New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Gish build

So I'll start playing a 6th level gish starting next week, and I was wondering what could be a good build. We're using a 32 point buy and all books are allowed. The only thing I'm not too keen on is Tome of Battle.

The buil I came up with so far is Fighter 1/Wizard 2/Human paragon 3/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/ Some gish Prc X
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Gish build

I wouldn't use Human Paragon were I you, unless it was to replace the Fighter-level; half BAB, losing a caster level and getting a bunch of random abilities that don't really synergise that well with Gishhood isn't all that hot. But as you do get one Martial Weapon Proficiency, you can qualify for Abjurant Champion through it and in that case, it's an acceptable substitute for the Fighter-level. So Paragon 3/Wizard 4/Abjurant Champion X/etc. is ok. Otherwise, just plain Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 1/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight X is probably better. Human Paragon simply loses an unnecessary caster level and doesn't get full BAB.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe not optimal, but I'm very fond of Paladin 2/Sorc X/Abjurant Champion X/Eldrtich Knight X. You lose out on level 9 spells, but if you pump CHA as your primary casting stat, you also get it to saves. If you're not keen on being LG, you could use Paladin of Freedom, Slaughter or Tyranny. You also get to use wands of the various Paladin spells. This build relies on ditching armor once you get Abj Champion, unless you can put up with the ASF.

As I said, not that optimal, but still quite fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

he could also take a 1-level dip in spellsword to wear some leather armor.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Or you could just go duskblade.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Human/Elf Paragon in a Gish build is typically a trap, though replacing Fighter 2/ Wizard 4 with what you've started with has no drawbacks at all. Be sure to take Human Paragon 1 at 1st level for x4 skill points. For your final build go Fighter 1/ Wizard 2/ Human Paragon 3/ Spellsword 1/ Incantatrix (PGtF) 4/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Eldritch Knight 4, for a +16 BAB and 17th level spellcasting at level 20. Use the UA Wizard feat variant to get another Fighter bonus feat in place of Scribe Scroll. Say you've visited the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get Iron Will without spending/wasting a feat. Be sure to get Power Attack, Leap Attack, and Arcane Strike, along with Persistent Spell to use with Metamagic Effect from Incantatrix. Use that on spells like Shield, Swift Expeditious Retreat, Wraithstrike, Bladeweave, Swift Fly, and Displacement.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Maybe not optimal, but I'm very fond of Paladin 2/Sorc X/Abjurant Champion X/Eldrtich Knight X. You lose out on level 9 spells, but if you pump CHA as your primary casting stat, you also get it to saves. If you're not keen on being LG, you could use Paladin of Freedom, Slaughter or Tyranny. You also get to use wands of the various Paladin spells. This build relies on ditching armor once you get Abj Champion, unless you can put up with the ASF.

As I said, not that optimal, but still quite fun.
    I personally prefer Paladin 2/Sorc 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 8. Sacred Exorcist fits right in for a Paladin and you get Turning while still maintaining 16 BAB by level 20 (and 18 levels of Sorcerer-casting). As should be a surprise to approximately nobody, a Cha-based caster likes Turning (a Gish could pick up Divine Might, for example). Again, the Spellsword is only there to not be forced to take 2 excess Sorcerer-levels (since they still grant nothing).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I personally prefer Paladin 2/Sorc 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 8. Sacred Exorcist fits right in for a Paladin and you get Turning while still maintaining 16 BAB by level 20 (and 18 levels of Sorcerer-casting). As should be a surprise to approximately nobody, a Cha-based caster likes Turning (a Gish could pick up Divine Might, for example). Again, the Spellsword is only there to not be forced to take 2 excess Sorcerer-levels (since they still grant nothing).
    Also keep in mind that while you need to take Dismissal as a spell known, at Sacred Exorcist 4 you get Dispel Evil as a spell-like ability thus fulfilling its own requirement and allowing you to trade out Dismissal for another spell.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38898
    Not very optimized but a lot of fun.

I talked the DM into 3/4 BAB with 2 more spell levels.

Ended up with 1 Barb, 1 Wizard, 10 Rage Mage, 5 Abjurant Champion. Ended before I finished AC, so don't really know where I was going after that, but I didn't plan on getting to 20.

I used the silly 2nd level spell trick from Comp Arc for it. Quickened (suddened and rage quicken) for Belkars claws on a heavy PA hit meant I did some pretty good damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.