New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story

I've been playing around with making some fan-comics! I am to say the least obviously not an artist, but I can just about hack together a bad knockoff of an early-GiantITP style, which is what I've done, and I've been doing a bit of world and character building for this that I hope you'll enjoy. Updates are likely to be dependent largely on when I get time to work on it, I'm not intending for this to be any more than an irregular and humourous narrative, and I hope you enjoy it.

It's currently titled "Mountain Leopards", though I may change that if I find something I feel fits better. Much of the setting design is just cribbed miscellaneously from stuff I look at in my day job, and I'm a slightly obsessive world-builder so I'll be happy to be asked things about any of that side of it (albeit that there's many elements I haven't pinned down yet, it's still early days; if something gets into the comic it's likely to have had some thought, though). It's not intended to be a "gaming comic" like OOTS is, and I'll probably avoid rules jokes as I don't know the system well enough to make them, but the mock-fantasy stuff, punchlined dialogues, and of course rough art style are all OOTS based. Questions/thoughts/feedback always very welcome :)

The Comics

Spoiler: Read the Comics!
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 1: Narrative Voice
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 2: I Shot the Cleric (but I didn't shoot the Missionary)
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 3: The Man Upstairs
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 4: Service de-liver-y
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 5: Travel Proposal
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 6: Best Foot Forward
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 7: It's probably a Maille-ard
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 8: An Uncomplicated Fellow
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 9: At least it wasn't a wink-face
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 10: Some of them want to use you
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 11: In Charge
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 12: Now You See Me
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 13: It's Half The Battle
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 14: No Rescue In Sight
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 15: Meaningful Conversation
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 16: Faay, Enchantress
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 17: Spies In All Four Walls
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 18: Administration of Justice
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 19: The Beard Helped, Though
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 20: Baggage Handling
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 21: Hystrix indications
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 22: Appropriately spiky
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 23: Meat Shields
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 24: Shields Meet
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 25: Cracks Opening
    Show

Spoiler: Ep 26: Should've Toad The Line
    Show

Last edited by Jubal_Barca; 2020-01-26 at 10:07 AM.
    Founder of Exilian, do come and visit:

Other hats include historian of medieval Georgia, folklore/myth nerd, creator of strange monsters like the Wendless Wolls and Afelyn, designer of odd games, & fan of the eclectic. And a green top hat, somewhere.
    Articles I've written: An Unexpected Bestiary (and Part 2 thereof), Realms of Myth: Somalia, Race vs Species, and Dark vs Light morality.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story

Since no one else has commented on this, I figured I'd offer my feedback: I rather like the art style. It's not as refined as others out there, but it's got a certain charm. (It also keeps reminding me of another fancomic I've read, but I can't place it yet).

However, ironically in light of his complaints in the first strip, I have to say that I'm finding Botso's unique speech font to be a little bit of a nuisance to read.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thankyou! Are the other fonts OK? I think after strip 1 I need to keep Botso having a unique font, but if I can work out a better option I can switch at some point.

And yes, the art style may or may not improve over time I guess! I mainly wanted to play with the dialogue writing so I'm trying to keep the art quick-ish to produce, I'm glad it works well enough. :)
    Last edited by Jubal_Barca; 2018-08-09 at 08:10 AM.

Other hats include historian of medieval Georgia, folklore/myth nerd, creator of strange monsters like the Wendless Wolls and Afelyn, designer of odd games, & fan of the eclectic. And a green top hat, somewhere.
    Articles I've written: An Unexpected Bestiary (and Part 2 thereof), Realms of Myth: Somalia, Race vs Species, and Dark vs Light morality.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Update time :)

Spoiler: Ep 4: Service de-liver-y
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is a "toastmaster" a real thing that I haven't heard of? Because it sounds like an amazingly absurd invention and I want to give kudos.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't alas claim any credit at all, it's a real thing: the term was generally used for a master of ceremonies at events, especially in the US, from the mid C19 to mid C20.

Here what I'm using the term to refer to, though, is really a tamada (თამადა), a role which actually fits the term "toastmaster" more literally than the usual English usage, it's literally someone elected/chosen to lead a feast or drinking party and stand up and propose a series of toasts through the evening (thus setting the pace of the drinking) as well as telling jokes, raising the mood of the party, etc. :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

New comic :)

Spoiler: Ep 5: Travel Proposal
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

And there were more comics, and maybe someone beheld the comics, but they knew not whom, for they looked upon the comments and the chambers were empty therein.

Spoiler: Ep 6: Best Foot Forward
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. It's nice to see a new addition to our Fancomics page,
    ergo, welcome! I look forward to seeing further releases.
    By Shoreward.

Spoiler: My RPG title, somehow.
    Show

{]GNU Terry Pratchett.[}

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll also note that, yeah, I'm following this even if I don't comment on every individual comic. (Right now the story is still setting up, so commenting often might seem premature).
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the welcome :) And I'm sorry if I sounded snippy or anything, I think just being very very new to this format I'm worrying a lot every time I put a new comic out as to whether it's at all worth reading/is any good etc etc, and so I get a bit spooked by the quietness. :)

I'm not sure if I'll get this Saturday's done on time, I'm only halfway through writing it, but fingers crossed...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Update time, one day late :)

Spoiler: Ep 7: It's probably a Maille-ard
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

[flatjoy]Wooo, an elf.[/flatjoy]
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

He might just have a strange ear-growth defect, you never know.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

And he has an axe.
    This could be a lot worse.
    He could've had a bow.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Had to go and do some Real World Stuff. I'm back, as are Varam and Rusudan :)

Spoiler: Ep 8: An Uncomplicated Fellow
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...huh. So he actually does just have an ear-growth defect?

I was starting to worry that this was dead. Glad it's not.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I feel that anything I say on the ear question may get heavily interpreted so I'll avoid doing so! I think the more important thing to note here is that Rusudan didn't come to the same conclusion based on his ears that a lot of the readers did - not all the norms and mythic standards of western style fantasy will necessarily be known let alone obvious to ordinary Datvietians, whether or not they exist/apply in this world overall. :)

Varam is going to stick around as a main cast member anyhow so we'll be hearing more from him (even if what we're hearing is "meh" or the sound of a big thwacky axe a lot of the time!) We've now met three of the four characters I initially sketched out when I was coming up with the ideas for the comic - it'll be a little time yet before we meet the last of them.
    Last edited by Jubal_Barca; 2018-10-01 at 05:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

New comic! :)

Spoiler: Ep 9: At least it wasn't a wink-face
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

My schedule is now totally broken, but ah well, here's another comic:

Spoiler: Ep 10: Some of them want to use you
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Varam is really starting to grow on me. He's kinda a twerp, but still.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

And number 11 appears!

Spoiler: Ep 11: In Charge
    Show

Yeah, Varam has ended up being a much snarkier character than I originally envisioned - he was going to be a lot more miserable and flat out gloomy-nihilistic, but he's ended up being more at the doesn't-give-a-damn snarky end of the nihilism spectrum instead mostly because that makes him much more fun to write.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

New comic is up.

Spoiler: Ep 12: Now You See Me
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is this going to keep updating?

Like I said before, the lack of comments does not reflect lack of interest on my part, just a feeling that I'd like to get to know the setting and characters better before speculating about them.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, I'm definitely planning to do more, it's just likely to be a bit of a fits and starts job, I think - I've just had a run of two academic conferences in a row which has knocked out any comic-writing time I had unfortunately. I should be able to get some more pages done over Christmas. :)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

New comic is up.

Spoiler: Ep 13: It's Half The Battle
    Show

How're people finding the fight/movement effects in the last couple of strips? Do I need more or fewer of them?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The only thing I'd object to is the SLICE effect in this latest strip; it doesn't show up well against the gray background.

Good to see this back BTW.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks, that's useful :)

I'm also wondering about comic length - I've ended up with a five row format which is quite a lot of comic per page (OOTS has about ten panels per page, I have more like thirteen or fourteen). I'm trying to work out a) if it matters if I switch between four and five row comics (that is, does it feel odd if sometimes pages switch to more/fewer panels), and b) if the five row format feels too long per update at all, both for me and for the reader. I worry that four doesn't give me enough time to say stuff, but five is a bit of a grind to make. Thoughts welcome!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

New comic is up! :)

Spoiler: Ep 14: No Rescue In Sight
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

New comic up :)

Spoiler: Ep 15: Meaningful Conversation
    Show