New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    The Big Footprint Administrator

Default Fan Comic General Discussion

Since thread creation in this forum will need moderator clearance, this thread will be for general discussions about the fan comics and the new forum. That way you don't have to start a new thread for such.

If you are thinking of doing a fan comic or want to discuss the fan comic phenomenon as a whole, this is the place to talk about it.
    The above words represent the consensus of the entire Giant in the Playground staff, including the moderators, the webmaster, and Rich Burlew.

(The PM box for this account is not regularly monitored; please direct any PMs to the forum staff to Roland St. Jude, the forum guru. Do send moderator applications to this account, though, as directed in the announcement thread. Thank you.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

Well, after more than one year fan comics flooded Arts & Crafts, we got our very own board to spam fill with wonderful creations of our own

I think that this is a great accomplishment, and would like to thank every webcomic artist that contributed so far, and welcome new artists to the "club" .
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There's a possible hybrid solution to how to post the comic images so that the 1st page of the thread doesn't bog down with image downloading.

When there's a new strip, post the inline image in that new post only, then go to the opening post and edit in a link to that new post. This way the images are within the structure of the forum, but the images are spread throughout the pages of the thread.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Staff View Post
    Since thread creation in this forum will need moderator clearance...
    If this is the case, what do we do when the current ABR discussion thread hits 50 pages?

Also, the current ABR comic thread is still in the Arts and Crafts forum, it really needs to be moved here to be nice and cosy with it's brethren

5. - Top - End - #5
    The Big Footprint Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    If this is the case, what do we do when the current ABR discussion thread hits 50 pages?
    Pretty much the same as before: Designate someone to start a new one, but then wait for a moderator to activate it. Since a moderator is needed to lock the old one anyway, they'll know they need to look in the queue for the new thread to be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Also, the current ABR comic thread is still in the Arts and Crafts forum, it really needs to be moved here to be nice and cosy with it's brethren
    Will do.
    The above words represent the consensus of the entire Giant in the Playground staff, including the moderators, the webmaster, and Rich Burlew.

(The PM box for this account is not regularly monitored; please direct any PMs to the forum staff to Roland St. Jude, the forum guru. Do send moderator applications to this account, though, as directed in the announcement thread. Thank you.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    There's a possible hybrid solution to how to post the comic images so that the 1st page of the thread doesn't bog down with image downloading.

When there's a new strip, post the inline image in that new post only, then go to the opening post and edit in a link to that new post. This way the images are within the structure of the forum, but the images are spread throughout the pages of the thread.
    I usually just post the newest two or three comics in the first post and throw the older ones into the archive (links).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post

Y'see.
    That would indeed, make it have all the strips in the thread.
    But 1 Some strips post comics faster then the rate of page-growing then 1-1, which would imply that they need to wait before they can actually post a comic.
    2 It would imply that readers would have to search through the whole thread if they want to (re) read the comic and just not the last update.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Woah, a Nifty thread...

Read My Comic! And vote on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    Y'see.
    That would indeed, make it have all the strips in the thread.
    But 1 Some strips post comics faster then the rate of page-growing then 1-1, which would imply that they need to wait before they can actually post a comic.
    No. Assuming just 2 reaction posts per comic, you'd have 10 updates per 30-post thread page. Waiting for 10 comic images to load, or even 30 if it's all update posts on that page, is much better than a page with 100+ images.

2 It would imply that readers would have to search through the whole thread if they want to (re) read the comic and just not the last update.
    Again no. ALL the links to the individual update posts are still in that first thread post. The comic creator has the option of either using a link that only displays that post, or can link to the post with the surrounding thread intact.

Those who are regular readers only have to use the "last page" link to get to the new stuff and will only have a few images at most to download. If all the images are in that first page, it gets harder and harder to read the longer the comic gets.
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2009-02-04 at 11:26 AM.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Meh. I just have the most recent comic and the cast as spoilered images and the rest as links. It's much simpler than most, and still makes it fairly user-friendly.
    My homebrews:

Oh, and I can make avatars on request. Just PM me. Please note, however that I am not especially experienced.
    Spoiler
    Show

for

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I've got an idea for a comic.

but it isn't based on DnD, in fact the setting itself is very far from DnD.
    Its closer to sci-fi than fantasy, it takes place on a parallel-universe Earth, about 51 years into the future, and due to a series of events starting from the Year 2030, humanity sets off a series of cataclysms and wars creating powerful bio-engineered races in the process, most of them turn on them and to this day, are still hostile to humans. Humanities only hope lies in a race of bio-engineered super-soldiers called Lightbringers, the closest of all of these Bio-engineered people to humanity. but this is not my setting, this is the setting of a friend.

for more information, click this link

I can inkscape pretty well, I can come up with a good story and I have a good sense of humor. I just thought I would run my idea by you, people who
    are experienced at this, before making it.

the comic itself is about a dysfunctional team of Lightbringers who
    keep getting into bad situations.

12. - Top - End - #12

Kobold

Hey, I was drawing schetches and trying to come up with a proper script for a new webcomic. Just to gauge some interest: would anyone be interested in a more magitech webcomic ?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Hey, I was drawing schetches and trying to come up with a proper script for a new webcomic. Just to gauge some interest: would anyone be interested in a more magitech webcomic ?
    Depends if you can explain both
    A) What's Magitech? Google ain't helpin me here.

and

B) Are you actually gonna stick with this one? You do have sort of a history with webcomics.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

1. Magitech: technology that uses magic to run. Like rocket launchers that throw alchemical substances that are composed of a steel tube and a rune of Launch item at the end. Or an hollowed out iron golem used as a mecha. Or wands wielded as guns. that sort of thing.

2. Yes I know . That is why i am asking before, and this time, I wont post the thing until I get at least 10 strips done in advance.

Edit: 3: What a coincidence, me too
    Last edited by Bayar; 2009-02-13 at 08:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I might try to create a comic based on my D&D group, but I am not sure when I will get to drawing the images.

The difficulty I would encounter is drawing magmins, warforged, goliaths, and a set of strange armor.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I'm considering posting an OotS-Style comic that I have been writing here, but could anyone tell me how strict the profanity rules are? Thanks

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I'm considering posting an OotS-Style comic that I have been writing here, but could anyone tell me how strict the profanity rules are? Thanks
    Same rules apply to webcomics as they do to regular discussion. If you can't say it in a normal post, you probably can't say it in a comic.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-06-14 at 05:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Same rules apply to webcomics as they do to regular discussion. If you can't say it in a normal post, you probably can't say it in a comic.
    Yeah, I remember reading that, I just don't know what exactly wouldn't be allowed in a post, and I don't want to risk getting an infraction trying to figure it out.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Yeah, I remember reading that, I just don't know what exactly wouldn't be allowed in a post, and I don't want to risk getting an infraction trying to figure it out.
    Well, try to use your common sense. I'm sure minor words like crap, bitch, and @ss, while perhaps all not tolerated by the forum swear-proofer, can go under the radar in comics. Just avoid using really big swear words, like the F-word or S-word, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-06-14 at 05:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If it's used in OotS, it's fine.

At least, that's my opinion.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, thanks!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey.

Not sure if this is where to post it, but I posted a thread for my new comic two days ago, and it still hadn't been uploaded.

Yes, the thread had a strip.

So, what do I do?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    Hey.

Not sure if this is where to post it, but I posted a thread for my new comic two days ago, and it still hadn't been uploaded.

Yes, the thread had a strip.

So, what do I do?
    You wait. The mods have to approve it.

It's stupid way of doing things? Perhaps. But you have to wait. It's the way things are.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-06-20 at 11:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Also posted this in the ABR discussion thread, but I'll post it here.

I'm interested in reviving my other old comic, Lizards and Labyrinths, but with someone else doing the art (since mine is kind of bad). Is anyone interested? PM me if so. (I'm thinking of revising the plot and adding characters anyway, so I can use some feedback)

A brief blurb of what the basic theme is going to be: When Editions Collide (dealing with a world stuck in the limbo between 3.5 and 4e) I was thinking of following a couple of parties, just for the record.
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-07-16 at 08:06 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

According to the Fan Comic Guidelines thread, a comic can't be posted here if it has it's own URL, or something? I plan on making a comic with it hosted on my family's website. Could someone clarify whether I can do that or not?

26. - Top - End - #26

@^:Is it OOTS style? Will you be announcing the updates on your family's website? Will there be a place to view the comic in it's entirety(sp?) on your family's site (you know, with an archive, next and previous buttons, etc.)
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rae Artemi View Post
    @^:Is it OOTS style? Will you be announcing the updates on your family's website? Will there be a place to view the comic in it's entirety(sp?) on your family's site (you know, with an archive, next and previous buttons, etc.)
    1. Yes
    2. Huh?
    3. Yes

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhisper View Post
    1. Yes
    2. Huh?
    3. Yes
    If it's OOTS style, then you can make the thread here.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    If it's OOTS style, then you can make the thread here.
    yes, but he cannot post the actual comic here, he can only provide links when it updates.
    Last edited by Rae Artemi; 2009-08-26 at 04:27 PM.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is the OotS art style under copyright? Obviously, the actual characters, scenarios, locations and so on are owned by The Giant. Does the art style fall under the same copyright? Does it have a specific copyright license (like, say, Creative Commons)?
    Official Member of The Guy With A Halberd Fanclub