Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lightbulb (3.5) Feat[General, Fighter] Transfix

I had a thought, help me iron it out. Thanks.

Feat Name: Transfix
    Prerequisite: STR 15, Brutal Throw

Benefit: As a Full Round Attack, make a single ranged attack roll with a thrown one-handed or two-handed piercing weapon against a target within 5ft of a solid vertical surface. If the attack hits, roll damage as normal for the initial target and then deal half that damage to the solid surface. If damage is dealt to the solid surface after hardness, the target of the attack is pinned to the surface.

The pinned creature cannot move and takes 1d4 bleeding damage until the weapon holding it in place is dislodged. To dislodge the weapon the target must succeed on a grapple check (DC = damage dealt to surface). Dislodging the weapon deals additional damage to the target equal to its base damage modifier (1d6 for a standard shortspear).
    Special: The thrown piercing weapon must be of the same or larger size as the target creature.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-02-10 at 04:22 AM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Feat[General, Fighter] Transfix

It sounds interresting, but the prequisites seem a bit high, and stat prequiites are usually odd nombers (I'd say 15 Str is reasonable for this, unless Brutal Throw has a higher prequisite).
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2009-02-10 at 03:36 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Thumbs up Re: (3.5) Feat[General, Fighter] Transfix

Duly noted and adjusted, thanks.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I just thought of another question. Is a pinned creature helpless?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

smile Re: (3.5) Feat[General, Fighter] Transfix

I wouldn't think so, just unable to move, though it probably would make sense to declare them flatfooted. I thought about tossing in a Concentration check to cast a spell with somatic components but it seemed too specific. Besides, I was afraid that the feat was too complicated already.

Thanks.

~Kahlil Gibran

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I don;t think it's complicated, and a Concentration check with a DC of 15+ the spell level would make sense considering how painful being pinned to a wall like that would be.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Might I suggest that you take a look at Ranged Pin in the complete warrior? It could either help you with the rules writeup, or you could make this feat an extension of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #8

smile Re: (3.5) Feat[General, Fighter] Transfix

I was disappointed by Ranged Pin, I loved the flavor but disliked the mechanics...notably the combination of a set DC, an opposed grapple check, and a slew of prerequisites. However, taking another look at it, you are correct... The format is much easier to read and understand than mine. Thanks for the tip.

Feat Name: Transfix
    Prerequisite: STR 15, Brutal Throw
    Benefit: You may pin your opponent to a wall, tree, etc., that is within 5. As a full round action, you must succeed on a Ranged Attack with a thrown one-handed or two-handed piercing weapon. If successful deal normal damage to your opponent and half that amount minus hardness to the wall, tree, etc. Your opponent must succeed on Escape Artist or Grapple Check (DC = damage dealt to wall, tree, etc) as a standard action in order to dislodge the weapon. Dislodging the weapon deals additional damage to your opponent equal to its base damage modifier (1d6 for a standard shortspear).
    Special: The thrown piercing weapon must be of the same or larger size as your opponent.

How's that as a revision?

~Kahlil Gibran

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm... cinematic and it sounds usable. YTou might want a stipulation that the surface must be at least somewhat BEHIND the target if not outright in "flanking" position relative to the attacker.
    The only other thing that I might be TEMPTED to tweak for realism would MAYBE be the ongoing damage...
    However, the major thing I want to say here is more of a note to GMs about what I think they should allow even without this feat... namely that pinning someones cloak or other clothing (not armor except perhaps the various types of light armor) to a surface with a spear or whatever is a perfectly acceptable thing to try with a normal attack or full attack in lew of going for damage. a few minuses to hit, full damage to the surface, and the rules for getting free from this feat and there you go I think!
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.