New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Jude's Judgmental Jugular Jab and Jibber Jabbery Random Banter #115

Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    Wadledo was so right. I shouldn't question this stuff, becaus the explanation you gave has made even more confused.

What's Wadledo so right about?
    And why did you got more confused? I mean... man with coat, sheriff/ranger star + colt = too damn sexy.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    We had a flood in our server room yesterday, I've spent the morning moving around soaking wet and possibly dangeropus electrical equipment. It's the most fun I've had in weeks.
    as someone who works in a DC, i can say these are probably the 2 words i least like to hear in a sentence together

i take it the UPS/generators are off & the redundant mains supply disconnected?
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

That actually sounds pretty awesome. Makes my day seem even more boring.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    as someone who works in a DC, i can say these are probably the 2 words i least like to hear in a sentence together

i take it the UPS/generators are off & the redundant mains supply disconnected?
    Yep, fortunately everything is off and dead to the world, which makes things rather easier for us. Of course, it means that 2/3's of the university staff have had to work without their documents for the last two days, but I'm sure they can handle it.

Whoever left a tap on in the labs above us should probably have left the country already.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Ah, but what about "fountain" and "server room"? "Curtain of water" and "server room"? "Submarine diesel engines" and "server room"? (My husband's friend gave us a quick tour of his workplace. The interior design was nerdgasmic.)

I've dried out a rained-upon external* modem with a towel and wind, and a water-spilled keyboard with a hairdryer set on "cool". Upon reflection, the hairdryer would be an _extremely_ dumb idea for any delicate computing power thanks to forcing air in instead of sucking foreign particles out.

*I know, I know, it's not supposed to be _that_ external, but 'twas the only way to get a signal in the concrete jungle. Afterwards we sheathed it loosely in a plastic grocery bag.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    On saturday it is. Not today.
    I can't be expected to keep up with days of the week, or what month it is or where I am. That's just asking too much.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I stopped keeping track of the date when I started college which makes it just plain awkward when on rare occasions they ask for the date and I have no idea.
    I've got sixteen demon roaches, but they ate my cookies.
    My new website/blog:

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why it should be awkward, I'm not sure. If someone's asking you for the date, then it's obvious that s/he doesn't know either.
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    There is far too much 'spammy' junk at the end of a Random Banter thread and at the beginning of a new one. This includes the discussion of/arguments about who will start the next one, posts that are purely to get the first reply or a reply on the first page (often including the words first post/first page/*boogie*/etc) and most importantly, posts towards the end of a thread that are made purely to 'end' the thread by getting it to page 50 to create a new one.
    Maybe we should add something to the standard first post content? Explaining the etiquette of who gets to make the new thread and saying something like "Don't stop conversations to ask who gets the new thread."

Threads should be restarted AFTER reaching 50 pages, not before, and the point is not to restart them as soon as they reach 50 pages either, there's still like 30 posts before it gets to page 51 (plus we're not going to mind if it goes a few pages over).
    This is more of a problem. Because people like to have their little bit of fun in creating the thread, they probably will take it at the first opportunity, which is the first post on page 50. And instituting a convention of only doing it after a certain number of posts on page 50 would seem needlessly complicated.
    The rest of that post I just agree with. I don't view people who've created RB threads as some sort of elite club, just as people who've had a slight enjoyable experience which I'd like to do as well.

On a less serious note (B flat), I think I started keeping track of the date more when I got a diary.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Given that I no longer have any kind of set timetable I generally have no idea what day it is. I was very unsure about the correct month when I had to write the date on a form earlier. I'm usually unsure about the year until about April, when it finally filters into my brain that the year is no longer 2008 (or whatever year it is). I have many good qualities, but timekeeping is not one of them.

That said, I can usually tell when Valentine's Day is by the explosion of red and pink everywhere, the unusual amount of couples wandering around and the inability to get a table in a restaurant.

In other news, I got recorded giving a presentation today. Generally went very well, but really, is there anything more cringe-worthy than watching a video of yourself? It was painful to watch, even though I know it was a good presentation.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Hello everyone. How are you all on this wonderful day?
    I myself am in a rather jolly and joyous mood today, although I am not sure why. Maybe it's because I break up for half-term tomorrow. 1 whole week of not having to wake up at 7am and trudge off to school.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog22 View Post
    Why it should be awkward, I'm not sure. If someone's asking you for the date, then it's obvious that s/he doesn't know either.
    I mean on official documents and exams and the like, Or sometimes when we're asked to put the date on our work. Mostly the former though.
    My new website/blog:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog22 View Post
    Unless it's on an exam or piece of homework, in which case the teacher knows the date but wants it on the piece of work so they know when it was done.

Edit: Curse the slow server and it's ninja'd-inducing lag!
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 2009-02-12 at 11:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

haha, sorry about that. The server's been pretty alright for me, slows down every now and then.

Fanboys are getting on my nerves, I was just reading that issues with Dragon Quest IX may affect the release of Final Fantasy XIII and all the comments are like "Eww, Square Enix are rubbish, they can't even get a game out in time. It's because of the 360, they should only release games on the PS3 and not pay any attention to games other than Final Fantasy XIII." I bet that the majority of people commenting aren't interested in Square Enix games anyway.
    My new website/blog:

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

confused Re: Jude's Judgmental Jugular Jab and Jibber Jabbery Random Banter #115

I'm glad and yet sad that I no longer get antsy waiting for new games to be released. I blame university living that causes my concept of the passage of time to warp and melt. And occupy my time with other things. I mean, the women are generally a plus but they're so often rather unpleasant as well.

Rather interesting, actually. A curious mix of torture and pleasure, this college experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #76

I miss the days where I was actually able to keep track of new releases, video game or otherwise. These days I'll see a game preview that looks interesting, then forget all about it until I see it on the shelves somewhere.

I.E.: I didn't even know they'd made Okami for the Wii until someone pointed it out months after it's release.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I miss the days where I was actually able to keep track of new releases, video game or otherwise. These days I'll see a game preview that looks interesting, then forget all about it until I see it on the shelves somewhere.

I.E.: I didn't even know they'd made Okami for the Wii until someone pointed it out months after it's release.
    I just wait until I hear something/go into town and buy the games I want. It's much easier and I don't have to bother checking every game site on the web just to be up to date for 1 day.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

six and a half months till I go (to university)....

[/antsy]

But only 2 hours and 45 minutes till I leave Hawaii.

Er...till I go to the airport.

FIVE hours till we leave Hawaii.

And...I haven't packed at all. Yikes.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

[/antsy]

But only 2 hours and 45 minutes till I leave Hawaii.

Er...till I go to the airport.

FIVE hours till we leave Hawaii.

And...I haven't packed at all. Yikes.
    Hawaii? I've heard great things about that place. Have a great time DR.
    But my mom usually packs the day before. (I'm too lazy)
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    Hawaii? I've heard great things about that place. Have a great time DR.
    But my mom usually packs the day before. (I'm too lazy)
    Misread - I'm LEAVING Hawaii. I've been here ten days.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonrider,

Poi.
    Discuss.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Misread - I'm LEAVING Hawaii. I've been here ten days.
    Oh, I misunderstood, sorry about that, as it gets closer to the weekend I get dumberer. See, it's already happening. I'll be okay by sunday.
    Did you have a good time there?
    (whoops, I have to go now, karate lessons, seeya all later)
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    That said, I can usually tell when Valentine's Day is by the explosion of red and pink everywhere, the unusual amount of couples wandering around and the inability to get a table in a restaurant.
    Isn't that New Year's day? At least, that's when all the Valentine's merchandise went on sale around here.

I'm LEAVING Hawaii. I've been here ten days.
    Did you have a good time?
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

most excellently fun. My dad has all the photos on his computer, but when I get home and am properly networked to it, I will post some. Tennis + beaches + pools = awesome.

Not awesome = school when I get home...

25. - Top - End - #85

NecromancerGuy

Hope you actually got to enjoy the weather. Talking about sitting through TV marathons while you were down there.

Bah! Not even decently geeky reason to stay inside, that.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd like to point out that TV marathons ARE perfectly legitimate considering we don't own a television at home.

Also, I've been staying inside doing this kind of thing

Spoiler
    Show

Which, all in all, makes me feel perfectly virtuous.

27. - Top - End - #87

NecromancerGuy

*sighs* What kind of blood are we putting into our young geek men these days?

My dad was one of the originals and he could still find the time to ogle young ladies at the beach in between playing the original DND, figuring out how to make boy scouts geeky, and corrupting my teenage uncles by introducing them to the Rocky Horror Picture Show...
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #88

In . . . six months I'll know whether I got into my two choices or not. If I get into my top choice, eight months until term starts.
    I think it's the same for the second also.
    At least you know you're in in.

Today has rocked my socks off and spread awesome sauce on toast.
    I did really well when I gave my spoken language presentation on the To The Pain extract from The Princess Bride - horrifyingly, only myself and my lecturer had even seen the film - but I had great fun. If you use schema and frame theory on it, not to mention narrative theory and the felicity conditions it's amazing how much you can realise.
    All of those show the films' comedic worth and the way it subverts, inverts and lampshades so many stereotypes.
    I was also kind of the only person who gave their presentation today who even knew how to properly apply these theories. I even worked in how the viual clues show the subversion of typical schema of romance/fantasy/adventure films. And even got the music and paralinguistics in!
    What's even better is that technically, we shouldn't even be learning these until first year of uni, but we've actually finished the required A2 syllabus already. Everything else from here on is really extras and exam practice. Hell, everything we've done with Male E Lang Lecturer since after we sat ELang4 has been extras.
    Next week it's the IPA! And articulation!
    I CAN'T WAIT!

And in E Lit we got to do The Wife of Baths' Prologue and Tale! In Middle English! I, again, impressed people by being able to read it out reasonably accurately and translate it into Modern English without having to really look at the gloss.
    I even explained to all my E Lit friends about how you can work out the origins of words and then how you can pronounce them. Then I went a step urther and explained how the rhyming couplets helped linguistics and the like back - track pronounciation and . . . oh. My. Books. It was so much fun, it's a right shame that we couldn't get a hold of any Old English though.
    And that I've had the opening two couplets of The Canterbury Tales recited to my by four out of four English lecturers this year.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #89

NecromancerGuy

Haha... Your telling me about your day just rocked my socks off. That sounds awesome.

haha... And it's Darwin Day... I'm-a head over to the science department here at Uni around 4 today and check it out... I missed the party where they had the cake in the form of that prehistoric armadillo-like creature... a "glyptodont" I believe... One of the professors has either a wife or a husband or a "life-partner" that works as a baker of cakes and so we got lucky that year. Except for me, cuz I missed it.

Something came up with my then girlfriend. Who is now in China. As of last night/this morning.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

most excellently fun. My dad has all the photos on his computer, but when I get home and am properly networked to it, I will post some.
    Hurray for fun and pictures!

Tennis + beaches + pools = awesome.
    My brother lives in Kailua, so I've gone to "visit" him. I love love love hiking in the mountains there! Sooo lush and pretty.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal