New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minatures

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Minatures

Hey gang,
    Was thinking back on the hodge podge of figures my old group used to use and was wondering what everyone liked to use for their groups. So what kinds of figures do you use? Do you use any at all? Are they repurposed from another game? Do you make your players bring one for their character?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Minatures

My D&D group has some plastic and pewter figurines, but most of the time, we use dice as playing pieces (another use for d12s).
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

One group I'm in uses little plastic animal figures. I'm usually the blue turtle
    Actually, this was a little confusing in the Heavy Gear session we had yesterday, when the bear figure was a Mad Dog, the dog was a Tiger, and the cat was a Grizzly. That was a pain to keep track of.

My other group doesn't use minis very often, but when we do, we just use whatever small objects are handy.
    Last edited by monty; 2009-02-16 at 09:20 PM.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I've got a small duffel-bag full of WotC plastic D&D minis, so I usually use those when I DM. Occasionally DMs will ask me to bring those for other games, too, but not always.

If we don't use those, I've been in groups that just use coins and other knick-knacks for PCs and dice for minis, and even groups that just used initials written in squares in pencil so they could be erased with the character moved.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

One of the reasons I ask is because in my previous intense gaming life we always used figures, and more recently we haven't been and as a result combat seems much more confusing. This may be the result of a less competent DM, but there is also something cool about seeing your character, if a little bit off, standing in front of you, or flanking the big bad.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

We used to use a hodge-podge of painted (and unpainted) lead minis from a variety of manufacturers, as well as a lot of game pieces borrowed from games like Hero Quest and Space Crusade.

These days, we have a decent collection of DDM minis that we use.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

All of us are nerdy enough to play D&D minis. In fact 3 of us worked at game stores. I easily have over 2000 minis. I also probably have the smallest collection.

Although I did use some Tyranids from WH40k to mess with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I use WotC minis, and have at least a few hundred of them, all sitting in my closet when not in use. I would actually love to have a lot more, but refuse to buy any more from WotC until they allow me to actually choose what I'm buying. I have more kruthik figures than I have orcs and goblins combined, for example, which gets annoying. Most of the figures I have are uncommon and strange types, and I don't even have an ogre! I have a single dragon, at least, though it has a rider, unfortunately.

Anyone know some place where I can buy painted DnD figures like what WotC sells, but either by the model or in themed packs? (ie, a pack of 30 assorted goblins, mostly warriors and archers) It's eternally frustrating to never have the right type or amount of minis. For example my planned campaign will have a lot of cultists, and trolls, and greek-style and persian-style soldiers, so if I could go and buy a dozen or so of each, I think it would add a lot to my game. (the fighting bits, at least)
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

We dress up mannakins and put them in our group's actual dungeon. We don't call them miniatures however.

Just kidding. That room's reserved for the giant wizard chess set.

Does anyone know where you get replacement giant wizard chess pieces?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Anyone know some place where I can buy painted DnD figures like what WotC sells, but either by the model or in themed packs? (ie, a pack of 30 assorted goblins, mostly warriors and archers) It's eternally frustrating to never have the right type or amount of minis. For example my planned campaign will have a lot of cultists, and trolls, and greek-style and persian-style soldiers, so if I could go and buy a dozen or so of each, I think it would add a lot to my game. (the fighting bits, at least)
    Ebay is the place to go for that sort of thing for now. Check there first. After that, well, WotC is going to non-randomized minis sometime this year (you can get one pack with the PHB classes, one pack of certain kinds of monsters, etc.).
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I've got a box full of D&D miniatures. It took me 2 years to actually assemble the proper miniatures for our 5-man party. <_< Stupid randomization.
    At least they're scrapping the skirmish game and catering more to the DM/Player crowd, hence the departure from the totally random format.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    We dress up mannakins and put them in our group's actual dungeon. We don't call them miniatures however.

Just kidding. That room's reserved for the giant wizard chess set.

Does anyone know where you get replacement giant wizard chess pieces?
    Wizard chess. That would be any battle involving a mid- to high-level wizard, right?
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Wizard chess. That would be any battle involving a mid- to high-level wizard, right?
    Didn't I mention we've all converted to 4th Edition?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Didn't I mention we've all converted to 4th Edition?
    Never mind. So wizard chess changed to wizard doing-the-fighter's-job-in-a-slightly-different-way, then.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Generally speaking we use dice. It's convenient for monsters of the same type, because they have numbers built in. (The dire rats are the red d6s, the trolls are the blue ones...) Sometimes we use a whiteboard and just write in and erase what we need. In one campaign I was in a couple months ago I brought in a handful of random Mario figurines. I was Mario, my roommate was Luigi, the orc with a permanencied Enlarge Person was the huge-ass Toad figure I have...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Never mind. So wizard chess changed to wizard doing-the-fighter's-job-in-a-slightly-different-way, then.
    I hate to kill jokes be explaining them...

I was referencing Harry Potter. Then on the follow up gag I was trying to ride on the 4th edition fan reaction. This is why I wish the little emoticons worked for me reliably.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's how I do 'em:
    Spoiler
    Show

Nice, customizable, and cheap. Only takes some paper, hot glue, and a penny for each one.
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2009-02-20 at 06:05 AM.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by merfolkotpt View Post
    Hey gang,
    Was thinking back on the hodge podge of figures my old group used to use and was wondering what everyone liked to use for their groups. So what kinds of figures do you use? Do you use any at all? Are they repurposed from another game? Do you make your players bring one for their character?
    I usaly use nothing but grid paper and pencil. Works as fine as game mat and figures.

But I do own a decebt ammount of reaper minitures, I just realy enjoy painting them. I have enught to equip a party, but not enough to run a game.
    PC 1- *singing" Robin hood and little John running through the forest trying to get away...
    PC 2- Hey, you are right, this reminds me of that too.
    DM- Except that the king was king 348 years ago, and has undead powers...

19. - Top - End - #19

One of my players, for my birthay, made me TWO COMPLETE CARDBOARDS of generic monsters drawings...

Random Zombie-ish thingies, Kobold-ish thingies, Random Humanoids... And even the PCs' portrait fully detailed...

He's teh gawd of pencil and paper xD
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have a signature one day...

Thanks Mr. Saturn for the awesome Pokeatar

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For PCs, we use Warhammer miniatures. For monsters, I've used some warhammer stuff, like skeletons, some of the boxes from D&D (not a good buy at all), and chess pieces
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Here's how I do 'em:
    Spoiler
    Show

Nice, customizable, and cheap. Only takes some paper, hot glue, and a penny for each one.
    Spoilers please. They make the page fat, and it's annoying to read the other posts.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to have all of Rich's Avatars as a set of minis. Front and back, taped to a penny as shown above.

Of course, we'd need all the mosters done up OotS style as well!

Good, cheap minis!
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I have never, in 15 years of gaming, used minis in a game. Not when I was playing weekly AD&D, not in our WFRP game, not even when we were playing Star Wars with Saga Edition.
    Last edited by Kiero; 2009-02-19 at 10:24 AM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I have a large pile of minis and I used to try to use them. One day, I saw some small poker chips in a game shop, and I bought them. Sure enough, they fit perfectly inside one square on the battle mat. Then, I got a sharpie and numbered them. So now, when my group is attacked by 12 badguys, it's easy to remember which bad guy got hit for four points of damage, which one is entangled, etc. I don't have to remember "the orc with the longsword mini got hit for 6, and the undead kobold monk got hit for 8" - especially when the badguys are moving around, it can be really difficult. The players still use minis, but it's easy to remember which mini is which character.

This solved one of my biggest problems as DM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I love using Miniatures. We use to paint them back in the early days of 3ed. Our DM would even give us bonus experience for painting some of his miniatures. It was a lot of fun. Then Mage Knight came out and I bought a case of that. We bought bases and ripped all the Mage Knight guys off there bases and glued them to square bases. It worked great. Then DDM came out and it was even easier.

I have thousands of miniatures and love using them. My DM always uses a different mini for each NPC, so he doesn't have much trouble distinguishing them. Though I've been thinking about painting the bases a different color to help split them up. Especially with all the goblins I have that look similar.

I can't wait for the new packs to be release. It'll be nice to have some Dragonborn miniatures instead of using the Half-Dragon miniatures that I've been using.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

The group I first started playing with, who'd been playing for several years before I met them, never used miniatures of any sort, it was just a mental thing. If distance is important, we'd ask the DM "Are we close enough to charge," "I step just close enough to cause him to provoke an AoO if he moves," etc. If we need it the the DM sketches a map on his notebook for us. It works out for the most part.

Recently, though, I got us using dice as miniatures; we were playing through an Eberron module at the moment and our specific positions were very important, so I convinced the DM to bust out a dry erase board and I provided the markers (for the grid) and my spare dice for the figures. It caught on, and we've been using them since, even in other games in the same group.

We use miniatures in another group I play with, but their collection isn't too broad, so the figs rarely match up well - or even at all - with the characters they represent.
    Last edited by Magnor Criol; 2009-02-19 at 01:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I once had to improvise miniatures because I didn't have a Bluespawn Godslayer mini. I cobbled one together with Zoids BLOX parts. It still looked pretty awesome. My players were shocked when they saw it was about 4 times the height of their own miniatures.

I also have three dragons now: the Large Green dragon that came with that nonrandom 4E miniatures pack, the Gargantuan Blue dragon, and the Gargantuan White that came with the Drizzt and Wulfgar miniatures in that set. (One of my classes gave it to me as a Christmas gift. It is still the best gift I've received from my students ever.)

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kamuishirou View Post
    I can't wait for the new packs to be release. It'll be nice to have some Dragonborn miniatures instead of using the Half-Dragon miniatures that I've been using.
    Yeah... WotC kinda dropped the ball on that one. Dragonborn Paladin? Sure... not. I've got a Elder Red Dragon, but not the Dragonborn from that pack. The Ghoul King? Yeah, I've got one o' him. Any Dragonborn? Not. A. Chance.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-02-19 at 08:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have lots of different types of dice, so I use them as minis whenever I decide to use minis (repeating terms, X on OR). I turn the numbers to show the initative order.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Yeah... WotC kinda dropped the ball on that one. Dragonborn Paladin? Sure... not. I've got a huge Red Dragon, but not the Dragonborn from that pack. The Ghoul King? Yeah, I've got one o' him. Any Dragonborn? Not. A. Chance.
    According to WoTC, the biggest problem with dragonborn is that they were complicated enough so that they couldn't make a good-looking one at uncommon quality. This means they're all rare, and therefore expensive to buy.

Our DM was lucky enough to actually get two Dragonborn Defenders, so that's what I use for my paladin. Before he got those, I used a blackspawn from an older pack.