New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Looking for help with a dwarven swordsmen build

What do people think of this build for a reasonably well rounded combatent. I was my first so there were admitidily a few mistakes but I've found it to be reasonably effective. Any advice for future enhancement is welcome.

Dwarf fighter 8/Samurai 2/ Dwarven Defender 2

Feets/special abilities
    lvl.1 samurai, bastard sword proficiancy, weapon focus bastard sword
    lvl.2 samurai, two weapon fighting
    lvl.1 fighter, quick draw, power attack
    lvl.2 fighter, zen archery
    lvl.3 fighter, leadership,toughness
    lvl.4 fighter, endurance
    lvl.5 fighter,
    lvl.6 fighter, combat expertise, diehard
    lvl.1 Dwarven Defender, defensive stance
    lvl.2 Dwarven Defender, unncany dode
    lvl.8 fighter

The point was a tough, capable swordsmen, who could stand in for the ranged combatent in a pinch and wouldn't fall easy prey to rouges. The cohort, a paladin/cleric, made for good armor support and was a capable healer.
    Last edited by Fortinbras; 2009-02-19 at 07:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for help with a dwarven swordsmen build

Dwarven Defender...is quite...well...meh. It seems nice at first glance, but when your smarter enemies realise you can't actually move while you're in defensive stance, and merely walk around you, or bash you with reach weapons while you wildly swing, but they're just out of your reach.

If it's the d12 you're looking at, another possibility might be the Warblade (if Tome of Battle is allowed), or Deepwarden (from Races of Stone), or Knight from PhBII.

Edit; why take toughness...at level 6, was it? By then, you'd prefur Improved Toughness (gives character level of HP), I think it counts as toughness for pre-reqs and all that.
    Last edited by SoD; 2009-02-19 at 08:34 PM.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

So, I'm guessing that what you have is already set in stone? I'd suggest trying to get into Deepwarden at some point, and a level of Exotic Weapon Master. The later will give you Uncanny Blow, which will allow you to do 2x your str with your bastard sword while wielding it with both hands. Get an animated shield, if you don't already have one, which frees up your offhand to grip that sword in both hands. This will increase your damage and make you a viable threat and give you a better return on your Power Attack feat. Deepwarden is a neat PrC in Races of Stone that is kinda an underground ranger. The big game seller on it is the 2nd level ability called Stonewarden, which allows you to apply your Con bonus to AC instead of your Dex. This is great, since I'm guessing your Dex is pretty crappy. After those 3 levels, a worthy PrC might be Pious Templar. It gives Mettle, DR, Weapon Specialization for free, and fast progress Paladin casting, which, with access to spells in the Spell Compendium, are really good.

Really, Dwarven Defender and Samurai are both really bad. You could easily come up with something much stronger if you could modify those levels, but some DMs are a stickler for allowing character change. I personally don't have a problem with it as long as its not every game...the game is about having fun, not punishing players for making naive character building decisions.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    Edit; why take toughness...at level 6, was it? By then, you'd prefur Improved Toughness (gives character level of HP), I think it counts as toughness for pre-reqs and all that.
    Not without houserules. DD requires plain ol Toughness, and nothing in Imp Toughness specifies that it can count as Toughness like some of the Psudo-Dodge feats do (Expeditious Dodge, Desert Wind Dodge, Midnight Dodge).
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-02-19 at 08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Thanks for the advice I'll talk to my DM, if he says no change any other advice. For the record this was my first charcater, but he is also my favorite. Thanks