New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM vs. GM

1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default DM vs. GM

Which term do you prefer? In general, DM is only used in fantasy role-playing game aspects, usually in Dungeons and Dragons. GM is used as a general term to anyone running the game.

However, I have heard and have used GM used for D&D games. I try to make a conscious effort to use DM when I can in D&D games, however, since the term is so much more specific and flavorful.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: DM vs. GM

Interchangeably. Everyone knows what you mean in either case. :)

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with Saph here (I only really use the term "DM", but I don't play anything other then D&D, unless you count this forum's freeform RPing section, which I've been retired from for over a month).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

BlueWizardGirl

You could just use (X)M, where X is equal to the preferred term for the game you're playing at the time. Except no, that still wouldn't work with White Wolf games. In the interest of being inclusive... I think the only option is Story Master, so you have at least one component from GM, DM, and ST...
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I run and play games in an organization where the title is 'Fate'.

EDIT: It's a D&D 3.5 game
    Last edited by Alysar; 2009-02-23 at 07:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Dungeonmaster is the D&D specific version, as Zombiemaster is the All Flash Must Be Eaten specific one. I don't think that any of these specific ones are synonimous with the overall title of the Gamemaster, as the specific games aren't synonymous with roleplaying either.

The terms storyteller and director, which are also use have another meaning for the role of the gamemaster for me, generally a role more focused on the narrative and less on the authority of the title. less tyrant, more primus inter pares and all that. Which is also why I really hate these terms.

While I generally prefer the German titulations "Meister" and "Spielleiter", we settled for the latin term gurbanator. Why? It's Latin, and it described (among others) the organisators of the circus games, but also includes a certain territorrial authority.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DM (tm) or Dungeon Master (tm) is an Officially Registered Trademark (tm) of Wizards Of The Coast (tm) Ltd, a subsidiary (tm) of Hasbro, Inc (tm).

Please be aware that if you use this term incorrectly, including but not limited to in speech, writing, or electronic documentation, you risk incurring the Wrath (tm) of the Official Hasbro Legal Team (tm).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

DM is short for Dungeon Master, and is specific to Dungeons & Dragons. GM is short for Game Master, and is generic; it's used in RuneQuest and Serenity, for example. Other systems use different titles. White Wolf games are controlled by a Story Teller (ST for short). Call of Cthulhu has a Keeper.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd said GM is the generic term for all rpgs in general. As said, DM is the trademark term in D&D.

10. - Top - End - #10

Danger Mouse vs Generic Mouse
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

I use either GM or the one specific to the game being discussed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yet another one here who thinks GM is the generic term (and hence uses that in discussions about roleplaying games in general) and DM the D&D specific one. Dungeon Masters in D&D, Keepers of Lore in Call of Cthulhu and Story Tellers in White Wolf games are all various examples of Game Masters.

In German, I used to use the term 'Meister' (Master), as it was also used in the first roleplaying game I played (DSA, The Dark Eye), but I'm trying to switch to the usage of 'Spielleiter' (basically 'game director') instead, as it sounds less tyrannical and fits my view of the GM as just one amongst equals better.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-02-23 at 08:48 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

i use dm and gm pretty equally. if i had to pick, i prefer dm.

hi winter.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I alternate between the two, often several times in the same paragraph. I prefer GM though.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    DM (tm) or Dungeon Master (tm) is an Officially Registered Trademark (tm) of Wizards Of The Coast (tm) Ltd, a subsidiary (tm) of Hasbro, Inc (tm).

Please be aware that if you use this term incorrectly, including but not limited to in speech, writing, or electronic documentation, you risk incurring the Wrath (tm) of the Official Hasbro Legal Team (tm).
    *applause*

As far as I'm concerned, you win the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Usually I use the term interchangeably (Often DM for a D&D and GM for everything else). When I am teaching new people how to play I often call the role as "Narrator" and slowly work in the term Game Master and then finally Dungeon Master... DM is fine to my ears, but when I first hear Dungeon Master I giggled.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I use the game-appropriate term: DM when talking about DND, ST when talking about WoD or Exalted, GM when talking about most RPGs, et cetera. GM is default.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    In German, I used to use the term 'Meister' (Master), as it was also used in the first roleplaying game I played (DSA, The Dark Eye), but I'm trying to switch to the usage of 'Spielleiter' (basically 'game director') instead, as it sounds less tyrannical and fits my view of the GM as just one amongst equals better.
    I could see a really terrifying DM fitting with "Meister". Probably requiring Rammstein's "Der Meister" as the theme song.

I totally get where you're coming from with not wanting to use "Meister". There is exactly one person I refer to as "mesterem" (Hungarian for "my master"), and that's my former Olympian epee coach... you only get "Mester" if I personally feel subordinate to you due to your immense skill and knowledge.
    Last edited by Delaney Gale; 2009-02-23 at 12:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I use DM for everything because it irks my pretentious gamer friends.

Tonight you delve into the black-hearted abyss, are you prepared to heed... The Call of Cthuhlu?

Sure, who's DMing?

The keeper...

Okay, you're keepin' us from playing. I need to know who is DM so I can ask a few questions first.
    Last edited by ocato; 2009-02-23 at 12:14 PM.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say that using a DND-specific term (no other system uses "DM" as far as I'm aware) for other games, purposely to annoy the players, is more pretentious.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2009-02-23 at 12:45 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney Gale View Post
    I could see a really terrifying DM fitting with "Meister". Probably requiring Rammstein's "Der Meister" as the theme song.
    Until the group counters with Subway To Sally's "Das Opfer", with its "Ich hab meinen Meister verraten" ("I have betrayed my master") refrain...

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney Gale View Post
    I totally get where you're coming from with not wanting to use "Meister". There is exactly one person I refer to as "mesterem" (Hungarian for "my master"), and that's my former Olympian epee coach... you only get "Mester" if I personally feel subordinate to you due to your immense skill and knowledge.
    Well, since I am usually the GM for our group, it's more me not wanting to make it seem as if I wanted to elevate myself into an undue position of superiority, rather than me not wanting to subordinate, but yeah, that too.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I use DM for all my games, because they are filled with naught but darkness and suffering!

More seriously, I typically use DM just because I grew up with D&D. Sometimes I remember to use GM, but I never use ST, 'cause the PCs are telling the story, not me.

. . .

OK, I'm not actually that pretentious. I don't use ST 'cause it sounds lame. I may begin using Meister though, if I can find a decent monocle.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Dungeon Master implies that things are taking place in a dungeon. And while that's likely the case in D&D, it's not necessarily the case.

Game Master is a more generic mouse, and is thus a more applicable term in most cases.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I use them interchangeably when referring to D&D, but when I'm talking about other systems I always use GM--not because I'm trying to annoy people with it (), but mostly because I'm either unfamiliar with the terminology in other games, or I don't play other games often enough to remember the specific name. So "GM" is my general term when I don't know/can't remember.

DM, though, I only use for D&D (though I did once slip up and called the runner of a GURPS fantasy game a DM...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    You know you're doing something wrong when your work causes people to try to figure out the plural of Deus Ex Machina.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I use them interchangably. Usually DM as it's what I'm most familliar with.

It's actually gotten to the point where I call the storyteller of a white wolf game the DM, and also refer to a person who's currently leading a particular aspect of a freeform game the DM. :P It's just become a habit.

It usually doesn't bug people too much. Once in awhile, someone says, 'Storyteller' and I correct myself.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    *applause*

As far as I'm concerned, you win the thread.
    +1
    Generally I use GM, because that's what it is in the systems I play.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Just to mix things up, RPGA games tend to use the term "Judge" to signify the person running the game. The act of DMing is often refered to as judging a game table.

I guess it has something to do with Living games percieved as "tournament D&D" or something.

I dunno, when I started playing Living Greyhawk back in 2001, everyone was using the term, so I started to, without really questioning it. I guess I always throught of it as synonymous and didn't think much else beyond it.

Judge does come across as very authoratative though, as in the person who determines the fate of your poor little characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I tend to use DM just through force of habit, but then so does the rest of my group.

'Meister' just makes me think of Bergermeister Meisterberger.

"WHAT? TOYS!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't get it...

Is there really that much of a difference between Dairy Milk and Goat Milk?

I see that most people here prefer cow based milk over goat milk. But does it matter that much? It's just milk in the end...
    Last edited by Graymayre; 2009-02-23 at 09:50 PM.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In 2nd ed, you had different names for saving thows. There were 5 of them, and the first was called "Death Magic". Amongs other things it was used as a save against anything that was going to screw the party or player totally.
    Abbreviated, it would be "DM", so every time the dm threw something awful that you could save agains, it would be "save agains dm"
    So I think you understand that I prefer Dm to Gm
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."