Default [Creature] Let Sleeping Serpents Lie

Somnawyrm
    Size/Type: Tiny Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 2d10+2 (17 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flatfooted 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-8
    Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d3-2 plus poison)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d3-2 plus poison)
    Space/Reach: 2 ˝ ft./0 ft. (5 ft. with coiled attack)
    Special Attacks: Poison, coiled attack
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 3
    Skills: Hide +12, Listen +3, Move Silently +6, Spot +3
    Feats: Weapon Finesse (B), Ability Focus (Poison)
    Environment: Temperate Grasslands
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always True Neutral
    Advancement: 3-5 HD (Tiny), 6-8 HD (Small)
    Level Adjustment: –

Somnawyrms are lily-white scaled, snake-like magical beasts. Though not sentient, their potent venom puts those it bites into a state of false death, a deep coma. Somnawyrms use this poison to knock out small creatures, which it devours over a period of hours. When threatened by larger creatures, it will attempt to bite those it perceives as being the least threat, to prove its danger to the others, and then retreat.

Poison (Ex)
    Injury, Fortitude DC 14. Initial damage–1d2 Con damage. Secondary damage–fall into deathlike coma for 1d3 hours. Only a DC 20 Heal check or a deathwatch spell can distinguish from a creature put in a coma by a Somnawyrm’s venom and a dead creature.

Coiled Attack (Ex)
    As a standard action, a Somnawyrm may coil itself into a tight, spring-like shape. It may not move while coiled. On the next attack it makes after coiling, it springs forward, giving its attack a reach of 5 ft., rather than 0 ft.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: [Creature] Let Sleeping Serpents Lie

MitP Vote: Yes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good. A nice CR1 critter, with an interesting tie-in for plot development (use of its poison for Romeo and Juliet-inspired plots). Well balanced and well described. Nice job.

MitP Vote: Yes

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Oh, hi there, little buddy," Urthar whispered softly to the small snake, apparently disturbed by his tripping over a protruding stalagmite. "What's a cute little guy like you doing way down here?"
    A halfling's voice spoke from what could have been a shadow "Have you any idea what that creature is, half-orc? For all we know about this godforsaken cavern it could be a wizard in diguise. Best not to take the chance."
    "No! Among my people, snakes are a symbol of good luck, to kill such a small, defenseless one would doubtless curse us all." He stopped petting the creature and placed it on his shoulder, where it settled comfortably into a coil.
    Silas scoffed "If you want to trust an albino snake in the middle of an underground passage we know nothing about, then be it on your own head; just keep it away from me." Then he conceded "Though Mialee's reaction to it should be interesting..."Suddenly an arrow whizzed past the halfling's head from behind, opening a tiny cut in his left ear. "Duck and cover!" A horizontal rain of arrow followed shortly afterwards, barely giving enough time for the two adventurers to duck behind a much larger stalagmite before they became pincussions.
    Urthar started "Ouch! Hey!"
    "What is it? Did an arrow hit you?" Silas turned to face his friend. Urthar's eyes looked bleary and unfocused, and a tiny wound was bleeding in his jugular, almost as if he'd...
    A flash of white sprang suddenly off further down the tunnel, quickly escaping from the two combatants. Silas' eyes widened in realization "Spawn of Hecate!" With his usual alicrity, he drew his dagger and even from a good forty feet away, heard a satisfying
    thunk as it stuck in the creature's skull. A quick check of heartbeat, though, showed that there was no saving Urthar, and without alot of luck, himself either.

Wow. Inspiration like a lightning bolt. Whattaya think, D1?
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I like it, I like it. Exactly how it should be used.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sweet. Now if I could get something like that for the legacy items which I have writer's block for, we'd be in good shape, hm?

Oh and maybe the coiled attack can be used to add an extra five feet to its speed on its following turn, or use it as a spring attack. Just giving it reach seems rather bland.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

It could make an interesting Improved Familiar. Knockout venom, and (significantly) an ability to deliver melee attacks without provoking an AoO.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.