New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default My friend needs help

My friend and i are going to have someone we know help us play dnd and hes trying to figure out what class he should be.

basically what he wants to be is a person specialized in spears and an off weapon sword that can jump very high. he also wants a pet dragon but im not sure if that would be fair im just wondering if there are any other classes that have like what the druid has like so the pet would scale with level and not be too OP and what his class should be.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My friend needs help

Eh... What level are you starting at? What are the specifics of the game? A "pet dragon" would require him being a high level wizard with a high number of specific feats.
    Thanks to NEO|Phyte for the Black Templar avatar. You will kneel before the God-Emperor, or you will be knelt.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Off-hand, a Warblade might be a good choice. His powers will work with either weapon he uses, and he can even switch out feats (Weapon Focus, whatever) if he needs to. Give him max ranks in Jump, Power Attack, and maybe Leap Attack, and then those martial maneuvers that utilize jumping. For extra "oomph," add in the Leap of the Heavens feat from (I think) Complete Adventurer.

As for a dragon companion, that probably just won't work for D&D. What you COULD do, though, is give him the Wild Cohort feat and let him pick some kind of lizardy critter that you can just call a dragon.

How's that sound?

EDIT: That is, of course, advice for 3.x D&D. If you're playing 4th, just play a Ranger using the Martial Power supplement to give him a "lizard" Beast Companion that he calls a dragon. He can still use Weapon powers, too, which will be fine.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-02-27 at 11:09 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Welcome to the playground. For future reference, proper capitalization makes your posts look more intelligent.

As for your friend, is this third or fourth edition?

I don't know what he would do in third (ranger or fighter perhaps?), but in 4e he would be a two weapon fighting ranger with a good score in Athletics. As for the dragon, the DM will need to houserule that.

Have fun!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ah sorry i didnt mean he would dual weild i mean he would use a spear most of the time and a sword like if he ever was not able to use his spear or his spear just wasnt practical in a situation.

oh and also i don't mean a fully grown dragon as a pet i mean a small one and it grows up as he levels or something.
    Last edited by Origomar; 2009-02-27 at 11:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

In 3.x, Tome of Battle gives the Warblade. Focus on Tiger Claw, and he's a jumping psycho. Toss in Stone Dragon and it doesn't matter what weapon he uses, because he deals godlike damage anyways.

As for the Dragon Cohort, that's not easy. It generally requires either Paladin 5+Feat, Arcane casting+2 Feats, or Druid 5+Feat. There may be a combo involving Leadership with a feat from Draconomicon, but I'm AFB and it's been awhile, sorry.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

These people are all being way too pessimistic.

The feat Dragon Steed from the Draconomicon has prereqs of: Cha 13, Ride 8 ranks, and the language Draconic. You can hit that at 5th level if Ride is a class skill for you.

It gets you a "dragonnel," which is a Large Dragon that looks somewhat horselike.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

As he's just starting out, and wants to go (mainly) spear, I'd reccomend a fighter, plain and simple. It's the most simple class there is. Otherwise, consider other melee classes, barbarian or swashbuckler would be the next simple classes.

I do, however, assume 3.5e.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    As he's just starting out, and wants to go (mainly) spear, I'd reccomend a fighter, plain and simple. It's the most simple class there is.
    Except that it needs a lot of optimization to do anything. Barbarian is a better beginner class, IMO. Swashbuckler is underwhelming, and people mostly just dip 3 into it and Daring Outlaw to Rogue.

Spears aren't that great weapons, honestly. I suppose if he was a Druid he could use one, and make his Animal Companion a Dragon somehow (Polymorph Any Object?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Except that it needs a lot of optimization to do anything. Barbarian is a better beginner class, IMO. Swashbuckler is underwhelming, and people mostly just dip 3 into it and Daring Outlaw to Rogue.

Spears aren't that great weapons, honestly. I suppose if he was a Druid he could use one, and make his Animal Companion a Dragon somehow (Polymorph Any Object?)
    I agre, Barbarian is a simple class:
    Step 1) Have good Str/Con
    Step 2) Have 2 handed weapon to kill things (like a spear/Longspear)
    Step 3) Rage
    Step) Profit.

Fighter:
    Same Step 1-2, but then you have step 3= find a feat that is both useful and worth it.

Because Fighter's don't get class features just feats. Too easy too pick bad feats (like Toughness).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post

I never claimed that any of the three were overpowered, only that they were simple to play. Fighter could be a perfectly fine class, with a spear, if his party members are suitably unoptomised. Fighter could be fine with a spear if the party is optomised (as long as the player doesn't mind not being as effective in combat, but if he enjoys his time roleplaying, who cares?).
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Dangit, a week ago I had a homebrewed way to do the dragon thing, but you caught me just after cleaning out my hard drive of stuff I didn't think I'd ever need.

Basically it was a pseudodragon that eventually grew up into a wyvern. Shouldn't be too hard to work out something like that.

Or, as previously suggested, take Dragon Mount. There is also a Dragonrider prestige class which isn't hard to get into.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this: