Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Ranger in need of help

    I am playing a ranger up to 30th level with the 5 levels of tempest (25 ranger 5 tempest) to help take advantage of the two weapon fighting style i have selected. currently i am 5th level ranger with the following feats:
    1 Dogde
    BF (human) Able Learner
    2 Two weapon fighting
    3 Endurance
    3 Mobility
    My next feat at 6th level Ranger will be spring attack to qualify for Tempest but after 9th level when i take improved Crit i am lost as to what feats to take.

    What i have planned currently if the following
    6 imp 2 weapon fighting
    6 spring attack
    9 (3 tempest) Improved Crit Scimitar
    12 (7 ranger) Improved Buckler Defense
    15 two weapon rend?

    If you could help me find feats that optimize on two weapon fighting while helping me with my critical hits (aka improved crit feat for rapier and scimitar)
    that would be appreciated. Also if you could help me build my character and optimize him on being a "tank" fighter that would help.

    Thank you for your help

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    1) Improved Crit for rapier or scimitar... personally, I'd go with a single light weapon, over two non-light weapons, even if they are finessable; a ranger who uses paired Kukri will do 1 point less damage, on average, per hit, but will hit more often because they're using an off-hand light weapon.

    2) I'd look into a couple different things. One would be Power Attack and Cleave. While Power Attack isn't ideal for this build, being able to make a second attack every time you kill someone is pretty nice for a multi-hitter. Not being familiar with the tempest, you might also look into a few Combat Expertise feats, and Combat reflexes isn't a bad idea; if you're tanking, you want the ability to make attacks of opportunity if people try to get past you.

    3) If the DM allows it, and you're truly at a loss for additional feats, grab Wild Talent and some Psionic Feats. Or grab a couple low-level Martial feats... a stance that suits your fighting style is a great option, and if you've only got the one, you can use it more or less permanently.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Irate Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Scimitar is a solid weapon choice for rangers, either dual wield them or put a lighter weapon in your off-hand.

    And don't forget to bring a bow, they come in handy when you least expect it, and pick a nice big animal companion that can take a few punches on your behalf.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Temp.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    If you could help me find feats that optimize on two weapon fighting while helping me with my critical hits (aka improved crit feat for rapier and scimitar)
    that would be appreciated. Also if you could help me build my character and optimize him on being a "tank" fighter that would help.

    Thank you for your help
    I feel I have to ask whether Tome of Battle is being used. Tiger Claw Warblades get some nice Crit-based TWF goodies. They also tend to have an easier time surviving to higher levels. Even if multiclassing is out, Martial Study and Martial Stance are going to be strong feat choices here. The Sudden Leap boost and Blood in the Water stance are going to be incredibly useful; it probably won't matter much what you use to meet their requirements.

    The easiest advice is to get Wand Chambers (Dungeonscape) for your weapons and to load them with Ranger Spells from the Spell Compendium. This won't help with your feats, but it should help you out in combat.

    For feats, look at Complete Warrior's Elusive Target. It's just about the greatest defensive melee feat in the game--it negates Power Attack, messes with flankers and gives you some opportunities to do some tripping.

    Also, you'll probably need some source of damage. Two light weapons without Sneak Attack/Skirmish/Riposte/Stormguard Warrior/whatever just aren't that scary past level 6.

    If you don't want to multiclass into Warblade, I would highly recommend taking 4 Scout levels (CAd) for the Swift Hunter feat (CS). This will drastically increase your damage any round you move and attack. With any number of sources for Pounce or swift movement, you should be able to full attack with full skirmish damage nearly every round.

    With what you have, I'm not sure how you'll manage to tank... Favored Enemy--Arcanists (CM) and Favored Power Attack (CW) might make you a bit more of a threat, but even then it's iffy.

    So, I guess I don't know what to tell you. A TWF Ranger is basically a Warrior with a bunch of out-of-combat abilities (by the way, check out Darkstalker from Lords of Madness -- it's required for all scout-types). You don't really have the framework for a tank and building up the Spring attack chain doesn't help.
    Last edited by Temp.; 2009-03-01 at 05:28 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    For clarifying on tempest its 5 levels at the end does the following:
    +3 AC (do not know bonus type doesnt state in coAD)
    Lessens two weapon fighting penalties to the following (-2 for two one handed weapons, +0 for One handed and light weapon)
    Share feats associated with both weapons for the following:
    Improved Crit, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specializatoin, The greater versions and i cannot remember the rest.

    Unfortunately Tome of Battle is out, first time our DM used this campaign with a different group a warblade played by a power gamer ruined his experience with the book

    Thanks for the advice above and to come more help would be appreciated.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    I am playing a ranger up to 30th level with the 5 levels of tempest (25 ranger 5 tempest) to help take advantage of the two weapon fighting style i have selected. currently i am 5th level ranger with the following feats:
    1 Dogde
    BF (human) Able Learner
    2 Two weapon fighting
    3 Endurance
    3 Mobility
    My next feat at 6th level Ranger will be spring attack to qualify for Tempest but after 9th level when i take improved Crit i am lost as to what feats to take.

    What i have planned currently if the following
    6 imp 2 weapon fighting
    6 spring attack
    9 (3 tempest) Improved Crit Scimitar
    12 (7 ranger) Improved Buckler Defense
    15 two weapon rend?

    If you could help me find feats that optimize on two weapon fighting while helping me with my critical hits (aka improved crit feat for rapier and scimitar)
    that would be appreciated. Also if you could help me build my character and optimize him on being a "tank" fighter that would help.

    Thank you for your help
    Also if you could please list the book in which the feats you recommend are in. I have trouble reading acronyms most times and would love to read your recommendations in the books. Thanks again for helping me out

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Irate Ranger View Post
    Scimitar is a solid weapon choice for rangers, either dual wield them or put a lighter weapon in your off-hand.

    And don't forget to bring a bow, they come in handy when you least expect it, and pick a nice big animal companion that can take a few punches on your behalf.
    Speaking of Animal companion how do you get the most out of a rangers animal companion. The effective level is half your ranger level (which sucks overtime) I know of the natural bond feat in some complete book but is there anyother way to get more out of a "crappy" companion?

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    The best way to optimize your animal companion, especially at (WTF?) level 30 is to get rid of it. Trade it out for some other class feature. PHBII has the Distracting Attack ability which replaces your Companion starting at level 4. Anyone hit by you in melee or at range is considered flanked for the rest of the round, no save. This is really nice for the rogue in your party, as you can stand adjacent to each other and attack the same enemy and he still gets to SA. Its not as good for you, but at least it isn't a liability like a level 15 animal companion would be at level 30.

    Another suggestion I'd make is the same as someone else above. Take 4 levels of Scout(Complete Adventurer) instead of 4 levels of Ranger, grab the feat Swift Hunter (Complete Scoundrel) and probably the feat Improved Scirmish (Complete Adventurer). Now you'll get a whole ton of bonus dice as long as you keep moving and attacking. Now, to build off your Spring Attack, consider Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz from PHBII. These give you your 2nd and 3rd iterative attacks while Spring Attacking, which is better than none. Now grab Double Hit from the Miniatures Handbook so you can strike with both weapons. This gives you 6 attacks in a round while Spring Attacking, all of which get bonus scirmish damage. Oh, and depending on your favored enemies, you'll be able to scirmish them too, thanks to Swift Hunter. Pick Undead, Constructs, Elementals, Oozes, and Plants as favored enemies and you'll be able to apply all your precision based damage to all the things you normally couldn't.

    All that said, this is hardly most optimal. Ranger, and particularly melee classes in general, don't hold up well at epic levels. Everyone else is running around with a rocket launcher, and you are stuck with a dull pocket knife. Your damage will be low compared to...everyone else, and there really isn't any way to get your AC up to a meaningful number at level 30. But if you follow some of this advice, at least you won't be as bad as you could possibly be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    The best way to optimize your animal companion, especially at (WTF?) level 30 is to get rid of it. Trade it out for some other class feature. PHBII has the Distracting Attack ability which replaces your Companion starting at level 4. Anyone hit by you in melee or at range is considered flanked for the rest of the round, no save. This is really nice for the rogue in your party, as you can stand adjacent to each other and attack the same enemy and he still gets to SA. Its not as good for you, but at least it isn't a liability like a level 15 animal companion would be at level 30.

    Another suggestion I'd make is the same as someone else above. Take 4 levels of Scout(Complete Adventurer) instead of 4 levels of Ranger, grab the feat Swift Hunter (Complete Scoundrel) and probably the feat Improved Scirmish (Complete Adventurer). Now you'll get a whole ton of bonus dice as long as you keep moving and attacking. Now, to build off your Spring Attack, consider Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz from PHBII. These give you your 2nd and 3rd iterative attacks while Spring Attacking, which is better than none. Now grab Double Hit from the Miniatures Handbook so you can strike with both weapons. This gives you 6 attacks in a round while Spring Attacking, all of which get bonus scirmish damage. Oh, and depending on your favored enemies, you'll be able to scirmish them too, thanks to Swift Hunter. Pick Undead, Constructs, Elementals, Oozes, and Plants as favored enemies and you'll be able to apply all your precision based damage to all the things you normally couldn't.

    All that said, this is hardly most optimal. Ranger, and particularly melee classes in general, don't hold up well at epic levels. Everyone else is running around with a rocket launcher, and you are stuck with a dull pocket knife. Your damage will be low compared to...everyone else, and there really isn't any way to get your AC up to a meaningful number at level 30. But if you follow some of this advice, at least you won't be as bad as you could possibly be.
    Thanks for the advice, also one class feature of tempest i forgot to mention is at level 5 you can make a spring attack and attack with both weapons. But as far as the animal companion I'll take a look at the players handbook II and see. Thank you for your advice.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tempest Fennac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Midlands, UK.

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    I thought the companion was treated as though you were a Druid who was 3 levels lower then your Ranger level? Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer would give you a Druid companion, but the 5 Tempest levels would hurt it (which is ironic considering the topic and my username). http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD...asses-Base.pdf features the Solitary Hunter Ranger which trades for companion in for applying Favoured Enemy bonuses to attack rolls.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show


  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Or just goad your DM into letting you have an animal companion as a Druid, there is just go reason why it shouldn't be like that, Ranger being as weak as it is.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, also one class feature of tempest i forgot to mention is at level 5 you can make a spring attack and attack with both weapons.
    Still look into Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz from PHBII though. These will let you get nearly as many attacks while Spring Attacking as you would from standing still. All you'll be missing is your 4th main hand iterative and a haste attack.

    Another thing to consider is Dervish from Complete Warrior. Most of the prereqs are the same (Dodge + Mobility), allows you to treat Scimiar's as light weapons with respect to using 2 of them, and Dervish Dance is like Spring Attack +1. The capstone ability called One Thousand Cuts doubles the number of attacks you get in a round. Combine this with a pair of +1 Wounding Enervating weapons and you'll inflict massive amounts of pain even at high levels. Maybe a build like:

    Ranger2/Scout4/Dervish10/Tempest5/Ranger+4 for a level 30 build.

    Alternatively, if you have any Ebberon books, there is a PrC called Revenant Blade in one of them (Ebberon Campaign Setting, IIRC) which allows you to wield a Double Scimitar as if it were 2 seperate 2handed weapons. Something like this would be:

    Ranger2/Scout4/Dervish10/RevBlade5/Ranger+4

    Then you could take Power Attack (which gets 2:1 returns) and use that while Dervish Dancing to make lots of attacks while moving. Similar flavor to your Tempest, much stronger mechanical execution.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-03-01 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Spiryt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I thought the companion was treated as though you were a Druid who was 3 levels lower then your Ranger level? Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer would give you a Druid companion, but the 5 Tempest levels would hurt it (which is ironic considering the topic and my username). http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD...asses-Base.pdf features the Solitary Hunter Ranger which trades for companion in for applying Favoured Enemy bonuses to attack rolls.
    Or have Distracting attack variant. It's much better if you're archery focused, but if you have rogue(s) in party it's great anyway.
    Avatar by Kwarkpudding
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

    Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Was two weapon style your first choice, or did you pick it because it was that or archery style? The benefits granted by Tempest are negligible by level 20, and it ends up being five wasted levels assuming you survive to 30. I'd suggest going with the Strong-Arm combat style to get Power Attack at 2, Improved Sunder at 6, and Great Cleave at 11 and use a two-handed weapon with Leap Attack from Complete Adventurer and the spell Rhino's Rush from Spell Compendium.

    An even better option would be to use the Wild Shape Ranger variant from Unearthed Arcana, and take Master of Many Forms from Complete Adventurer, and Warshaper and Nature's Warrior from Complete Warrior. I'd go Ranger 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Nature's Warrior 1/ Warshaper 3 in that order, then get Nature's Warrior +2/ Master of Many Forms +2/ Warshaper +2/ Nature's Warrior +2, and then either take more Master of Many Forms or more Ranger, maybe dip one level of Monk if you don't want to be entirely dependent on a Monk's Belt for your AC. Go Human and get Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape (Frostburn), Robilar's Gambit (PH2), any feat at 15, and Defensive Sweep (PH2) at 18. Use a Glaive until you get a decent combat form, Cave Troll (MM3) should last until you get War Troll (MM3), and Frozen Wild Shape will also give you access to Cryohydra once you get access to Huge forms. A 12-headed Cryohydra gets a 12-bite AoO every time its attacked with Robilar's Gambit, and you'll even get its Fast Healing. All of a War Troll's special qualities are extraordinary, so that should be your primary form when you're not being a hydra. Your Nature's Warrior abilities should be Nature's Weapons, Water's Flow, and Serpent's Coils in that order. With your 5th Warshaper level you'll be able to Wild Shape into something, equip your gear, and then switch your forms without having to re-equip your gear again. For items be sure to get a Monk's Belt, Armbands of Might (MIC), Gloves of Dex, an Amulet of Mighty Fists until Nature's Warrior 1, and a bunch of 1st level Pearls of Power to be used with Rhino's Rush. From level 1 you'll be able to use wands of Ranger spells, so a Wand of Cure Light Wounds to heal up between encounters will be a good investment. You'll want to prioritize Constitution and Wisdom, put Strength and Dex at 14 if you can, and Int and Cha don't really matter. This character will be a much better melee combatant than anything but a martial adept, and will have survivability on par with spellcasters of equal level.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tempest Fennac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Midlands, UK.

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    What about the Moon-Warded Ranger on Crystal Keep? The level 11 ability for that looks much stronger then any of the feats you could get. (I never liked Strongarm due to how easily a Ranger with descent Str can get what it gives). In regards to TWF, I'd say that using weapons which deal 2 different kinds of damage, like a Scimitar and a Shortsword with a Warhammer in reserve) would be wise due to DR possibly being a problem.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show


  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Was two weapon style your first choice, or did you pick it because it was that or archery style? The benefits granted by Tempest are negligible by level 20, and it ends up being five wasted levels assuming you survive to 30. I'd suggest going with the Strong-Arm combat style to get Power Attack at 2, Improved Sunder at 6, and Great Cleave at 11 and use a two-handed weapon with Leap Attack from Complete Adventurer and the spell Rhino's Rush from Spell Compendium.

    An even better option would be to use the Wild Shape Ranger variant from Unearthed Arcana, and take Master of Many Forms from Complete Adventurer, and Warshaper and Nature's Warrior from Complete Warrior. I'd go Ranger 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Nature's Warrior 1/ Warshaper 3 in that order, then get Nature's Warrior +2/ Master of Many Forms +2/ Warshaper +2/ Nature's Warrior +2, and then either take more Master of Many Forms or more Ranger, maybe dip one level of Monk if you don't want to be entirely dependent on a Monk's Belt for your AC. Go Human and get Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape (Frostburn), Robilar's Gambit (PH2), any feat at 15, and Defensive Sweep (PH2) at 18. Use a Glaive until you get a decent combat form, Cave Troll (MM3) should last until you get War Troll (MM3), and Frozen Wild Shape will also give you access to Cryohydra once you get access to Huge forms. A 12-headed Cryohydra gets a 12-bite AoO every time its attacked with Robilar's Gambit, and you'll even get its Fast Healing. All of a War Troll's special qualities are extraordinary, so that should be your primary form when you're not being a hydra. Your Nature's Warrior abilities should be Nature's Weapons, Water's Flow, and Serpent's Coils in that order. With your 5th Warshaper level you'll be able to Wild Shape into something, equip your gear, and then switch your forms without having to re-equip your gear again. For items be sure to get a Monk's Belt, Armbands of Might (MIC), Gloves of Dex, an Amulet of Mighty Fists until Nature's Warrior 1, and a bunch of 1st level Pearls of Power to be used with Rhino's Rush. From level 1 you'll be able to use wands of Ranger spells, so a Wand of Cure Light Wounds to heal up between encounters will be a good investment. You'll want to prioritize Constitution and Wisdom, put Strength and Dex at 14 if you can, and Int and Cha don't really matter. This character will be a much better melee combatant than anything but a martial adept, and will have survivability on par with spellcasters of equal level.
    FROZEN WILD SHAPE [GENERAL]
    You can assume the form of magical beasts with the cold
    subtype.
    Prerequisite: Base Fortitude save bonus +6, wild shape
    ability.
    Benefi t: You may use your wild shape ability to assume
    the form of any magical beast with the cold subtype. Your
    new form must still fall within the size limitations of your
    wild shape ability. As with the standard wild shape ability,
    you do not gain any of the extraordinary special qualities or
    any supernatural abilities possessed by the new form, with
    the exception of the cold subtype. This subtype grants you
    immunity to cold but vulnerability to fi re, which means you
    take half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fi re
    while in a frozen wild shape, regardless of whether a saving
    throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.
    Possible cold magical beasts from the Monster Manual
    include cryohydras (Huge wild shape required), frost worms
    (Huge wild shape required), and winter wolves.
    Possible cold magical beasts from Monster Manual II
    include frost salamanders.
    Possible cold magical beasts from this book include brantas
    (Large wild shape required), ice toads (Large wild shape
    required), urskans (Large wild shape required), and tlalusks
    (Huge wild shape required).

    With those restictions on the cryohydra (no breathe weapon, no fast healing, etc.) whats the purpose of taking the frozen wildshape feat?

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    MoMF7 gives you all of the EX abilities of anything you WS into. It also gives you the ability to WS into Huge things, which is also required to become a Cryohydra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Oh yea, what i mention at the top of the forum page is what i am currently at
    Ranger 5

    Feats:
    Human feat: Able Learner
    1st: Dodge
    2nd: 2 weapon fighting
    3rd: endurance
    3rd: Mobility

    Equipment: MSTW Rapier (soon to be scimitar), Mithral Chain Shirt, +1Buckler, MSTW kukri, MSTW composite longbow (+4 STR)

    Stats:
    STR 18
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 15
    Wis 16
    Cha 15

    If the above helps get me advice go ahead and comment on how i can make him better thanks again for the help.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    MoMF7 gives you all of the EX abilities of anything you WS into. It also gives you the ability to WS into Huge things, which is also required to become a Cryohydra.
    Thank you for clarifying. Thats not a bad idea for a tank

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Note that you would get the Hydra's unique use of Combat Reflexes by Wild Shaping into one. It can use all of its heads on attacks of opportunity, i.e. you make one bite per head on every AoO. Robilar's Gambit helps with that, and Morphic Reach can catch them by surprise. Also note that a Hydra gets to make all of its bites as a single standard action attack and also at the end of a charge, in addition to on an AoO. This would lead to the conclusion that a Hydra gets to make all of its bites every time it gets an attack, therefore, a Hydra using Whirlwind Attack would get to make all of its bites against each opponent within reach. If you can qualify for and take the Rapidstrike line of feats from the Draconomicon you could get multiple 12-bite attacks/round, or get Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz from the PH2 to make several 12-bite attacks as part of a Spring Attack. Remember that Fast Movement from Wild Shape Ranger doesn't go away when you Wild Shape, so every form gets +10 ft. base land speed. You could even dip a few Fighter levels to get the appropriate feats to do all of that in the epic levels, though I wouldn't want to delay the first 16 levels of the build at all.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Okay. I'll try that build if i die but i am stuck with what i posted above. I could use help with that build above. I am at 6th level with the following:

    LVL 6 Ranger
    Feats:
    1st: Dodge
    Human: Able Learner
    2nd: Two Weapon fighting
    3rd: Mobility
    3rd: Endurance
    6th: Spring Attack
    6th: Imp. Two weapon fighting

    Str: 18
    Dex: 18
    Con: 18
    Int: 15
    Wis: 16
    Cha: 15

    Next 5 Levels will be 5th Tempest which does the following
    +3 AC if holding two weapons (aka two weapon fighting)
    -2/+0 if fighting with two weapons (2 one handed/ 1 one handed 1 light)
    Share feats for the following: Weapon focus, Improved Critical*, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization
    When making a spring attack get to attack with both weapons as standard action

    The feats for these levels are
    9th Improved Critical (scimitar)

    The next 10 lvls are Dervish
    Dont know what feats to take here? Help here would be appreciated
    Maybe some of the feats you guyz have suggested bounding assualt etc.

    The next 4 lvls are scout to help with the DMG output and AC
    That brings me up to lvl 25, I still need five more levels to help with the build. Any advice would be appreciated and the people who have posted thank you and if my DM lets me I will take that wild shape build instead of this one. Thanks again for your guy's help.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    Okay. I'll try that build if i die but i am stuck with what i posted above. I could use help with that build above. I am at 6th level with the following:

    LVL 6 Ranger
    Feats:
    1st: Dodge
    Human: Able Learner
    2nd: Two Weapon fighting
    3rd: Mobility
    3rd: Endurance
    6th: Spring Attack
    6th: Imp. Two weapon fighting

    Str: 18
    Dex: 18
    Con: 18
    Int: 15
    Wis: 16
    Cha: 15

    Next 5 Levels will be 5th Tempest which does the following
    +3 AC if holding two weapons (aka two weapon fighting)
    -2/+0 if fighting with two weapons (2 one handed/ 1 one handed 1 light)
    Share feats for the following: Weapon focus, Improved Critical*, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization
    When making a spring attack get to attack with both weapons as standard action

    The feats for these levels are
    9th Improved Critical (scimitar)

    The next 10 lvls are Dervish
    Dont know what feats to take here? Help here would be appreciated
    Maybe some of the feats you guyz have suggested bounding assualt etc.

    The next 4 lvls are scout to help with the DMG output and AC
    That brings me up to lvl 25, I still need five more levels to help with the build. Any advice would be appreciated and the people who have posted thank you and if my DM lets me I will take that wild shape build instead of this one. Thanks again for your guy's help.
    Sorry switch the Scout and Dervish Lvls forgot that i needed Combat Expertise and Weapon Focus (scimitar)

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Also does any one know the name of the feat that allows you to stack your Ranger and Scout levels together for stuff. If the feat exists can you please tell where to find it (with out abbreviating it please) thank you. If you could also would it be better to do this instead:

    6 LVL Ranger/10LVL Dervish/4 LVL Scout:
    with this feat progression:
    1st Dodge (1st Ranger)
    Human: Able Learner (1st Ranger)
    2nd: Two Weapon Fighting (2nd Ranger)
    3rd: Endurance (3rd Ranger)
    3rd: Mobility (3rd Ranger)
    6th: Improved Two Weapon fighting (6th Ranger)
    6th: Weapon focus Scimitar (6th Ranger)
    9th: Improved Critical Scimitar (3rd Scout)
    10th: Combat Expertise (4th Scout)
    12th: Improved crit (another weapon with 18-20) (2nd Dervish)
    13th: Spring Attack (bonus Feat)
    15th: Bounding assualt (5th Dervish)
    18th: Acrobatic Strike? to help offset two weapon fighting and bounding assualt penalties (8th Dervish)
    21st: Swift hunter (11th dervish) lol found it never mind above
    23rd: Oversized two weapon fighting (13th dervish) incase of DR monsters
    24th: Two weapon Rend (14th Dervish)
    26th, 27th, 29th, and 30th no idea on what to take

    Or i can do this template for feats:
    1st Dodge (1st Ranger)
    Human: Able Learner (1st Ranger)
    2nd: Two Weapon Fighting (2nd Ranger)
    3rd: Endurance (3rd Ranger)
    3rd: Mobility (3rd Ranger)
    6th: Improved Two Weapon fighting (6th Ranger)
    6th: Weapon focus Scimitar (6th Ranger)
    9th: Improved Critical Scimitar (3rd Scout)
    10th: Combat Expertise (4th Scout)
    12th: Improved crit (another weapon with 18-20) (2nd Dervish)
    13th: Spring Attack (bonus Feat)
    15th: Bounding assualt (5th Dervish)
    18th: Acrobatic Strike? to help offset two weapon fighting and bounding assualt penalties (8th Dervish)
    21st: Two Weapon Defense (1st Fighter bonus feat)
    21st: Swift hunter (1st Fighter) lol found it never mind above
    22nd: Improved Two Weapon Defense (2nd Fighter Bonus Feat)
    23rd: Oversized two weapon fighting (11th dervish) incase of DR monsters
    24th: Two weapon Rend (12th Dervish)
    26th, 27th, 29th, and 30th again out of ideas

    Please let me know what you think and make suggestions. Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by Os1ris09; 2009-03-02 at 12:38 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    Also does any one know the name of the feat that allows you to stack your Ranger and Scout levels together for stuff. If the feat exists can you please tell where to find it (with out abbreviating it please) thank you
    Swift Hunter. Not sure where it's from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    It's called Swift Hunter, in Complete Scoundrel.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DC area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Swift hunter, from the Complete Scoundrel. Requires 1 Ranger level and...3 Scout levels at the least(not sure about that, you might need 4).

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    Also does any one know the name of the feat that allows you to stack your Ranger and Scout levels together for stuff. If the feat exists can you please tell where to find it (with out abbreviating it please) thank you. If you could also would it be better to do this instead:

    6 LVL Ranger/10LVL Dervish/4 LVL Scout:
    with this feat progression:
    1st Dodge (1st Ranger)
    Human: Able Learner (1st Ranger)
    2nd: Two Weapon Fighting (2nd Ranger)
    3rd: Endurance (3rd Ranger)
    3rd: Mobility (3rd Ranger)
    6th: Improved Two Weapon fighting (6th Ranger)
    6th: Weapon focus Scimitar (6th Ranger)
    9th: Improved Critical Scimitar (3rd Scout)
    10th: Combat Expertise (4th Scout)
    12th: Swift hunter (2nd Dervish)lol found it never mind above
    13th: Spring Attack (bonus Feat)
    15th: Bounding assualt (5th Dervish)
    18th: Acrobatic Strike? to help offset two weapon fighting and bounding assualt penalties (8th Dervish)
    21st: Improved crit (another weapon with 18-20)(11th dervish) 23rd: Oversized two weapon fighting (13th dervish) incase of DR monsters
    24th: Two weapon Rend (14th Dervish)
    26th, 27th, 29th, and 30th no idea on what to take

    Or i can do this template for feats:
    1st Dodge (1st Ranger)
    Human: Able Learner (1st Ranger)
    2nd: Two Weapon Fighting (2nd Ranger)
    3rd: Endurance (3rd Ranger)
    3rd: Mobility (3rd Ranger)
    6th: Improved Two Weapon fighting (6th Ranger)
    6th: Weapon focus Scimitar (6th Ranger)
    9th: Improved Critical Scimitar (3rd Scout)
    10th: Combat Expertise (4th Scout)
    12th: Swift hunter (2nd Dervish) lol found it never mind above
    13th: Spring Attack (bonus Feat)
    15th: Bounding assualt (5th Dervish)
    18th: Acrobatic Strike? to help offset two weapon fighting and bounding assualt penalties (8th Dervish)
    21st: Two Weapon Defense (1st Fighter bonus feat)
    21st: Improved crit (another weapon with 18-20)(1st Fighter)
    22nd: Improved Two Weapon Defense (2nd Fighter Bonus Feat)
    23rd: Oversized two weapon fighting (11th dervish) incase of DR monsters
    24th: Two weapon Rend (12th Dervish)
    26th, 27th, 29th, and 30th again out of ideas

    Please let me know what you think and make suggestions. Thanks again for all your help.
    Edited text from above thanks for helping me find the feat though
    Last edited by Os1ris09; 2009-03-02 at 12:55 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    smile Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Was two weapon style your first choice, or did you pick it because it was that or archery style? The benefits granted by Tempest are negligible by level 20, and it ends up being five wasted levels assuming you survive to 30. I'd suggest going with the Strong-Arm combat style to get Power Attack at 2, Improved Sunder at 6, and Great Cleave at 11 and use a two-handed weapon with Leap Attack from Complete Adventurer and the spell Rhino's Rush from Spell Compendium.

    An even better option would be to use the Wild Shape Ranger variant from Unearthed Arcana, and take Master of Many Forms from Complete Adventurer, and Warshaper and Nature's Warrior from Complete Warrior. I'd go Ranger 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Nature's Warrior 1/ Warshaper 3 in that order, then get Nature's Warrior +2/ Master of Many Forms +2/ Warshaper +2/ Nature's Warrior +2, and then either take more Master of Many Forms or more Ranger, maybe dip one level of Monk if you don't want to be entirely dependent on a Monk's Belt for your AC. Go Human and get Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape (Frostburn), Robilar's Gambit (PH2), any feat at 15, and Defensive Sweep (PH2) at 18. Use a Glaive until you get a decent combat form, Cave Troll (MM3) should last until you get War Troll (MM3), and Frozen Wild Shape will also give you access to Cryohydra once you get access to Huge forms. A 12-headed Cryohydra gets a 12-bite AoO every time its attacked with Robilar's Gambit, and you'll even get its Fast Healing. All of a War Troll's special qualities are extraordinary, so that should be your primary form when you're not being a hydra. Your Nature's Warrior abilities should be Nature's Weapons, Water's Flow, and Serpent's Coils in that order. With your 5th Warshaper level you'll be able to Wild Shape into something, equip your gear, and then switch your forms without having to re-equip your gear again. For items be sure to get a Monk's Belt, Armbands of Might (MIC), Gloves of Dex, an Amulet of Mighty Fists until Nature's Warrior 1, and a bunch of 1st level Pearls of Power to be used with Rhino's Rush. From level 1 you'll be able to use wands of Ranger spells, so a Wand of Cure Light Wounds to heal up between encounters will be a good investment. You'll want to prioritize Constitution and Wisdom, put Strength and Dex at 14 if you can, and Int and Cha don't really matter. This character will be a much better melee combatant than anything but a martial adept, and will have survivability on par with spellcasters of equal level.
    Just curios can you explain to me how the warshaper ability at lvl 5 lets you do the equipment thing you say up there? Also why a monks belt i dont understand that either. If you wouldnt mind explaining I would appreciate it. Thanks

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    Okay. I'll try that build if i die but i am stuck with what i posted above. I could use help with that build above. I am at 6th level with the following:

    LVL 6 Ranger
    Feats:
    1st: Dodge
    Human: Able Learner
    2nd: Two Weapon fighting
    3rd: Mobility
    3rd: Endurance
    6th: Spring Attack
    6th: Imp. Two weapon fighting

    Str: 18
    Dex: 18
    Con: 18
    Int: 15
    Wis: 16
    Cha: 15

    Next 5 Levels will be 5th Tempest which does the following
    +3 AC if holding two weapons (aka two weapon fighting)
    -2/+0 if fighting with two weapons (2 one handed/ 1 one handed 1 light)
    Share feats for the following: Weapon focus, Improved Critical*, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization
    When making a spring attack get to attack with both weapons as standard action

    The feats for these levels are
    9th Improved Critical (scimitar)

    The next 10 lvls are Dervish
    Dont know what feats to take here? Help here would be appreciated
    Maybe some of the feats you guyz have suggested bounding assualt etc.

    The next 4 lvls are scout to help with the DMG output and AC
    That brings me up to lvl 25, I still need five more levels to help with the build. Any advice would be appreciated and the people who have posted thank you and if my DM lets me I will take that wild shape build instead of this one. Thanks again for your guy's help.
    Here is what my character currently is in our campaign and some ideas. Help would be appreciated thank you

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ranger in need of help

    Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    Edited text from above thanks for helping me find the feat though
    Also here is another template i thought would do the trick. Please comment and help me here because our party is devoid of a fightere and well that job now falls on me (lol). Thank you for all the advice you have given so far and for what is to come

    If you could also would it be better to do this instead:

    6 LVL Ranger/10LVL Dervish/4 LVL Scout:
    with this feat progression:
    1st Dodge (1st Ranger)
    Human: Able Learner (1st Ranger)
    2nd: Two Weapon Fighting (2nd Ranger)
    3rd: Endurance (3rd Ranger)
    3rd: Mobility (3rd Ranger)
    6th: Improved Two Weapon fighting (6th Ranger)
    6th: Weapon focus Scimitar (6th Ranger)
    9th: Improved Critical Scimitar (3rd Scout)
    10th: Combat Expertise (4th Scout)
    12th: Swift hunter (2nd Dervish)lol found it never mind above
    13th: Spring Attack (bonus Feat)
    15th: Bounding assualt (5th Dervish)
    18th: Acrobatic Strike? to help offset two weapon fighting and bounding assualt penalties (8th Dervish)
    21st: Improved crit (another weapon with 18-20)(11th dervish) 23rd: Oversized two weapon fighting (13th dervish) incase of DR monsters
    24th: Two weapon Rend (14th Dervish)
    26th, 27th, 29th, and 30th no idea on what to take

    Or i can do this template for feats:
    1st Dodge (1st Ranger)
    Human: Able Learner (1st Ranger)
    2nd: Two Weapon Fighting (2nd Ranger)
    3rd: Endurance (3rd Ranger)
    3rd: Mobility (3rd Ranger)
    6th: Improved Two Weapon fighting (6th Ranger)
    6th: Weapon focus Scimitar (6th Ranger)
    9th: Improved Critical Scimitar (3rd Scout)
    10th: Combat Expertise (4th Scout)
    12th: Swift hunter (2nd Dervish) lol found it never mind above
    13th: Spring Attack (bonus Feat)
    15th: Bounding assualt (5th Dervish)
    18th: Acrobatic Strike? to help offset two weapon fighting and bounding assualt penalties (8th Dervish)
    21st: Two Weapon Defense (1st Fighter bonus feat)
    21st: Improved crit (another weapon with 18-20)(1st Fighter)
    22nd: Improved Two Weapon Defense (2nd Fighter Bonus Feat)
    23rd: Oversized two weapon fighting (11th dervish) incase of DR monsters
    24th: Two weapon Rend (12th Dervish)
    26th, 27th, 29th, and 30th again out of ideas

    Please let me know what you think and make suggestions. Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by Os1ris09; 2009-03-02 at 10:01 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •