New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Ways to not need sleep

I have a character concept that I really want to make when I get a chance and one of the key parts of it is that he does not need to sleep at all. I have no idea how to accomplish this and so I have turned to the Playground for advice.
    I plan on playing a swordsage, but as for race I am still deciding on one. I know that a simple solution would be to play a warforged, but that doesn't fit with the rest of this character. Undead don't fit either. Are there any other ways to get around needing sleep with feats, items or races? Would it be unfair to ask my DM to have my character cursed so that he never sleeps?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. By sleep, I mean natural sleep. Being affected by magical sleep or sleeping poison is fine.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ways to not need sleep

Outsiders and plants do not sleep either. There are plenty of outsider races, but most of them have a level adjustment. As for plants I only know of one plant race, but I think it's in a dragon mag.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

There are no rules for sleep, nor any penalties for failing to sleep. Therefore, sleep is optional. Ironically, the rules state that you will become fatigued if you sleep in your armor, but say nothing about what happens if you never go to sleep at all; the logical conclusion is that, for non-spellcasters, sleep in D&D does nothing but make you more tired.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Neraphim [PlH] are LA +0 Outsiders so that'd work. Otherwise, the Otherworldly [PGtF]-feat makes you an Outsider. Those are the easiest LA +0 ways, I think.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5

Heh, death doesn't have any rules either, right? So technically losing hitpoints is only an annoyance that you have to calculate.

In the Fiend Folio there are planetouched. Basically just variants of several base races, unfortunately all of them have LA. Equally unfortunate is that any outsiders that are native also have to sleep, so aasimars and tieflings won't work.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    Outsiders and plants do not sleep either. There are plenty of outsider races, but most of them have a level adjustment. As for plants I only know of one plant race, but I think it's in a dragon mag.
    Note that non-native Outsiders are the only ones that don't have to sleep, and they (plus Elementals, who likewise don't have to sleep) can't be brought back from the dead by any of the easy methods -- not a good thing for a PC.

The only creature types that don't have to sleep and can still be brought back by animate dead are plants and oozes, which are probably more of an issue than warforged... although an Enlightened Ooze Warblade would be a fun character to play.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2009-03-02 at 05:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Having a friendly cleric cast lesser restoration on you every morning (or getting it through an item, or something similar), will do, since the only penalty that I know of for not sleeping is being fatigued. That may not be what you're looking for, though.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Having a friendly cleric cast lesser restoration on you every morning (or getting it through an item, or something similar), will do, since the only penalty that I know of for not sleeping is being fatigued. That may not be what you're looking for, though.
    That's actually what I was thinking when I remembered that there are no rules stating what the penalty for not sleeping is and, therefore, no way via RAW to finesse that penalty.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

The Urban Soul PrC in Races of Destiny. You dont' have to eat or sleep so long as you're in a city.

any city.

(the problem being, you need ot be in a city, so YMMV on the usefulness of this. Because you get a penalty for not being in a city.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    That's actually what I was thinking when I remembered that there are no rules stating what the penalty for not sleeping is and, therefore, no way via RAW to finesse that penalty.
    Really? I could've sworn I read somewhere that not sleeping makes you fatigued...maybe I'm just crazy.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I think vow of poverty at high levels means you don't need to sleep. (or eat, or breath...) but that only works with certain character builds.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Ring of Sustenance

This ring continually provides its wearer with life-sustaining nourishment. The ring also refreshes the body and mind, so that its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. The ring must be worn for a full week before it begins to work. If it is removed, the owner must wear it for another week to reattune it to himself.

Faint conjuration; CL 5th; Forge Ring, create food and water; Price 2,500 gp.
    Not a true solution but that's a start, no ?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the suggestions I've already received. Shame native outsiders still need to sleep.

Thanks for the Urban Soul tip Blackfang, but my DM does not really do a whole lot of city-based adventures. I will keep that in mind for future use in case he decides to do one.

So far the ring of sustenance Johel suggested seems like the best option right now, but if you have more then keep them coming.

Playing as an outsider is still a possibility despite the resurrection problems. Are there any non-native ones that won't cause me to take too harsh of a hit to my levels and will still be good for a swordsage (focusing on WIS and DEX)? Otherworldly only turns you into a native outsider so not quite enough. Neraphim is a possibility, but I'm not particularly interested in them.
    Last edited by High_Voltage; 2009-03-02 at 07:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

You could just, you know, play an elf. They don't sleep, they trance
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

15. - Top - End - #15

Whisplings from FF are pretty good. Essentially a halfling, only an outsider with a -2 str, +4 dex, +2 int, and disguise self 1/day. They have a +1 LA so it isn't too bad.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Note that non-native Outsiders are the only ones that don't have to sleep, and they (plus Elementals, who likewise don't have to sleep) can't be brought back from the dead by any of the easy methods -- not a good thing for a PC.

The only creature types that don't have to sleep and can still be brought back by animate dead are plants and oozes, which are probably more of an issue than warforged... although an Enlightened Ooze Warblade would be a fun character to play.
    Can you provide a link to information pertaining to the Enlightened! Also, that makes me wonder about the Awakened; what are the rules on them?
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show
    What D&D race are you most like?

My Results:

Half - Elf Not quite human and not quite elf you can learn the ways of sword and magic, but are sometimes clouded with human emotions.

Request a Homebrew Requests #169, 170, & 313

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tomb-Born vitality feat from Libris Mortis, gives the desired effect,
    but it has the Tomb-Tainted soul feat as prerequisite so a total of
    2 feats for the effect.
    This might be a bit too undeadish for you though, although you
    don't become undead from this.

GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    You could just, you know, play an elf. They don't sleep, they trance
    Bah! Your 'logic', 'common sense' and 'obvious answers' have no place here.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoten View Post
    Can you provide a link to information pertaining to the Enlightened! Also, that makes me wonder about the Awakened; what are the rules on them?
    Unfortunately, I just used it as a catchall term for "having an Int score added and its Int, Wis and Cha raised to 3 or above somehow." I don't know of any actual rules for it, sorry.

EDIT: But "awakened" is a template added to animals or trees by the Druid spell Awaken.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2009-03-03 at 06:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoten View Post
    There are several ways to give intelligence to an ooze, not the least of which would be the Pseudonatural template, which raises the Int to 3. As does the Celestial, Fiendish, Axiomatic, or Anarchic template, as demonstrated on the WotC website:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a

and

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20040521a

There is also the Awaken Ooze spell from Dragon #304.

As far as not needing sleep:

Neraph has already been mentioned as a LA +0 outsider race.

The OP mentioned SwordSage, but if you go Warblade or take a couple Martial Study feats, you can pick up Iron Heart Surge. Assuming we can determine what the specific penalties are for not sleeping, just use Iron Heart Surge to get rid of them (just make sure you don't say anything to the DM like "Ugh, I really feel weighed down this morning" or "Gosh the sun is way too bright").

Another option from MIC: Sphere of Awakening. If you ever feel sleepy, activate it once per day, and it wakes everybody up, removes all fatigue effects, and makes you immune to fatigue effects for the next 10 minutes.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Neraph has already been mentioned as a LA +0 outsider race.
    You forgot just how much FUN these guys are to play as.

My first D&D character was a Neraph Barbarian/Chaotician (Only got one level in Chaotician due to the campaign dying at level 6, but still.)

It's a fun combo, and there's no reason to ever sleep.

And Hey, you're playing as a Battletoad. In a game that (theoretically) isn't impossible for two+ people to beat!

EDIT: I can't spell today.
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2009-03-03 at 10:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Play something undead.

Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die! Die!

Games Workshop: Miniatures First. Rules Second. Clarity Last

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Suprised nobody mentioned the 'forged...Warforged do not sleep.

There is also a spell in Lost Empires of Faerun, Ray of Revitilization or something. Its a 1st level spell, I think it appears on the Ranger spell list or something, which would make it applicable to put on a 1st level Eternal Wand.

Otherwise get a Wand of Lesser Restoration made by a Paladin. 750 gold for 50 sleepless nights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wakeful mind is a construct graft from Faiths of Eberon that makes you, among other things, immune to sleep and stunning. It does come with a -2 penalty to knowledge checks. It costs 18000gp but you may be able to include it in your background or something.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Suprised nobody mentioned the 'forged...Warforged do not sleep.
    Because the OP said he knows this but would rather not play one in the first post.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Otherwise get a Wand of Lesser Restoration made by a Paladin. 750 gold for 50 sleepless nights.
    Wrong price. The formula is
    750 × level of spell × level of caster
    A Paladin can't ever cast 1st level spells below 4th level -- and that's with bonus spells; the normal minimum is 6th level.
    Through 3rd level, a paladin has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, her caster level is one-half her paladin level.
    If you want to go this route (i.e. just do all-nighters and eliminate the fatigue), I recommend instead the Breath of the Waves graft (Magic of Eberron). For a one-time price of 9,000 gp and 4 HP you can eliminate fatigue and most every other negative condition once per hour.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

A one level dip into the Tattooed Monk PrC will get you the Ocean tattoo, which negates any need to eat, sleep or breathe. Requires Lawful alignment and Improved Grapple though, which isn't tasty for many characters...
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by High_Voltage View Post
    So far the ring of sustenance Johel suggested seems like the best option right now, but if you have more then keep them coming.
    I think there's a sleeping bag in DMG that lets you get a full night's sleep inonly a few, under the Wondrous Items. It will let you use the ring slot for something else.
    In a quick glimpse through the DMG, I'm not finding it, but I know I read it in some sourcebook.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I think there's a sleeping bag in DMG that lets you get a full night's sleep inonly a few, under the Wondrous Items. It will let you use the ring slot for something else.
    In a quick glimpse through the DMG, I'm not finding it, but I know I read it in some sourcebook.
    I want to say 'Blessed Bedroll' and it is in the Complete Mage, but I don't have my book handy.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'd say just have a word with your DM. If your character concept includes the idea that he doesn't need to sleep, just ask your friendly neighborhood dungeon master to allow you to re-fluff his 'extended rest' to us a 4th edition term, as not involving actual sleep.

That way would still require him to have the same amount of 'downtime' as any other player, and the benefits are really quite tiny if not abused mercilessly.

Another possible would be to go the 'cannot sleep' route. Work on a nice juicy curse with your DM that includes him being completely unable to sleep. If you're feeling up to it, suggest the DM is free to include some other elements of the curse, gives him a big old plot-hook-goes-here handle to use with your character, and gives you a little bit more to sink your RP teeth into. (YMMV depending on the sadism of you DM, obviously.)

Or you could just play your character as Delusional, and just refuse to sleep even though you actually need to.