New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [Creature]A Fire-Breathing Lizard is on my Bedroll

Sissear (Firelover)

A red-mottled lizard the size of a rhino lumbers towards the camp during Morton and Talos's watch.
    Talos: *draws his bow*
    Morton: Are you nuts?!? Don't antagonize it!
    Talos: But it's threatening us!
    The lizard walks past them and lays down next to the fire.
    Morton: It barely notices we're here! Besides, you know where a 600-pound lizard sleeps?
    The lizard rolls over, onto the sleeping wizard.
    Talos: Anywhere it wants...

The sissear is a giant lizard herbivore similar to a rhino, only more docile and fire-breathing. They would only be a curious note to adventurers if they didn't keep mistaking campfires for their meeting fires.

Role: Flavor

Behavior: Sissears spend most of their time grazing alone, using their fiery digestive system to break plants down quickly. They have few predators and are docile towards humanoids, since civilization hasn't encroached on their lands yet.

Sissears protect themselves from the more dangerous predators at night by lighting "meeting fires" with their breath. A sissear will travel towards and sleep at any small nighttime fire it sees or smells; if it can't find one, it makes one to gather other sissears. They rest together by the fire for protection at night, put out the remains in the morning, and separate to go grazing.

Sissears sometimes mistake adventurers' campfires for their meeting fires, trundling into the midst of their camp and falling asleep on the spot. The sissears do not threaten adventurers (unless attacked) and will even help fend off any attacks during the night; their presence is a boon, so long as you keep supplies and sleeping companions away from them. Things get interesting if two or more sissears mistake a campfire for a meeting fire. (Smart adventurers sleep up in the trees then.) Things get even more interesting if it's mating season. (Smart adventurers find a new campsite then.)

Combat: A threatened sissear takes its attackers down by charging them and ripping giant chunks out of their flesh before frying them to a crisp.

Stats

Sissear
    Large Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 8d10+32
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, +9 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+17
    Attack: Bite +12 (d6+9)
    Full Attack: Bite +12 (d6+9)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks: Breath weapon, igniting breath
    Special Qualities: Fire resistance 5
    Saves: Fort +10, Reflex +6, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 24, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 2
    Skills: Listen +9, Spot +8
    Feats: Endurance, Scent, Low-Light Vision

Environment: Warm forests
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or meeting (4-10)
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 9-12 HD (Large); 13-16 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: --

Breath Weapon (Su): 15-foot cone, once every 1d4 rounds (but no more than three times per day), damage 2d6 fire, make a Reflex DC 19 save for half damage. This save is Constitution-based.

Igniting Breath (Ex): A sissear's breath is constantly flaring up and can ignite objects. If something is stuck inside a sissear's mouth or bitten by it, it must make a Reflex DC 19 save or catch on fire. The fire burns for 1d4 rounds. This save is Constitution-based.

Sissear is Draconic for "firelover"; it was named by the local tribal lizardfolk, who believe they are sacred animals.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

2. - Top - End - #2
    Default Re: [Creature]A Fire-Breathing Lizard is on my Bed

Fire in Draconic is actually the word ixen. Lover... the Dragonimicon doesn't exactly say.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by NullAshton
    Fire in Draconic is actually the word ixen.
    Well, if the eskimos can have two dozen words for snow, why can't Draconic have more than one word for fire?
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fun, fun flavor. I like it. Somehow, though, I see a poaching business getting started...
    Visit Sunny Balmy Exotic Sigil, City of Doors

"Parallel" avatar by idksocrates
    Lady of Pain avatar by ElfLad

5. - Top - End - #5

Because... there's only one word for it in the Dragonimicon, and Races of the Dragon?

Hehe. I gotta light my metal sword on fire with one of these. ;D