Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Diplomacy: Snap out of it!

Ok, so there is a skill trick or something that is similar, but I had a thought for an alternate use of diplomacy, that would neither be arbitrary nor broken.

You can make a diplomacy check to try to get an ally to come to his senses when effected my a mind-affecting compulsion. Your ally must be able to see and hear you for this to work.

Note, the -10 penalty for a rushed diplomacy check does apply if you are not able to spend a minute or two on the check. Such as if the effect in question is 'dominated and compelled to attack you'.

Mechanic:
    Make a diplomacy check against the save DC of the effect you are trying to remove. If you succeed, your ally is allowed an additional saving throw at a -5 penalty. This penalty is reduced by 1 for every 5 pts you exceed the save DC with your skill check. It is possible to grant a bonus to the check if your skill check is sufficiently high. You can aid another on this roll. Only one attempt is allowed per effect per day.

Some numbers:
    Level 5: Avg save DC for a mind effect is 17

Untrained PC, 10 charisma: In combat, cannot succeed, out of combat, needs a 17 or higher.

Trained PC, 10 charisma: In combat, unlikely to succeed, probably not worth trying. Out of combat, likely to succeed, but not to reduce the penalty.

Trained PC, 18 CHA: In combat, unlikely to succeed, needing 15 or better, but at those odds, might be worth trying every once and awhile.
    Out of combat, the penalty is reduced to -4, on average.

Twinked for Diplomacy: 20 cha, circlet of persusaion, all 3 synergys, for a total of (8r+5cha+3circlet+6syn) +22 diplomacy, in combat, is likely to succeed with only a -4 penalty to the save, and out of combat, is likely to bring that save to a -2 penalty.

Level 10:

avg DC: 21

Trained, good CHA: needs a 13 in combat, 3 out of combat for save at -5.
    Twinked:max ranks and syn. as before, CHA is 24, and also has a +5 skill item:
    +34 mod. On average grants a -2 penalty on the additional save.

Still does not seem ridiculous.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Diplomacy: Snap out of it!

As a GM I would only allow this if the circumstances allowed it, not as a general house rule. This is one of those ideas that is best used infrequently.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

You wouldn't need to homebrew something like this; it's already in place, kinda. Look under Team Benefits of the Dungeon Master's Guide 2, page 193. It's a benefit caled Snap Out of It.
    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2009-03-05 at 10:59 AM.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Paramour Pink View Post
    You wouldn't need to homebrew something like this; it's already in place, kinda. Look under Team Benefits of the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 193. It's a benefit caled Snap Out of It.
    Great so my bard has been killed by the barbarian 4 times when i could've survived

thanks for the info, that should stop my Sadistic DM

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paramour Pink View Post
    You wouldn't need to homebrew something like this; it's already in place, kinda. Look under Team Benefits of the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 193. It's a benefit caled Snap Out of It.
    Err, I just checked the DMG; you sure you don't mean DMG II?
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Err, I just checked the DMG; you sure you don't mean DMG II?

Yes, I do mean the second one. My mistake; editting in the 2 now.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.