Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: [Flaw] Well, nobody's perfect...

Phobia of Trees[Flaw]
    Any time you see a multitude of trees, roll a 1d4. On a 1, you believe the trees are going to attack you and must run away. On a 2, you believe the trees are going to attack you and must attack them for 1d6 rounds.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Chaotic Stupid [FLAW}

You are incapable of acting rationally

effect: work with your DM to create a chart of actions based on a roll of d%, assign potential actions your character can perform, roll each round to see what your character does....
    All mechanical effects you choose are detirmined randomly.....

For more fun roll to see whether you perfrom two move, a standard and move or full round actions (and any possible free actions)

3. - Top - End - #33

Bah. Just have it make your character permanently affected as if by the confusion spell. Much simpler.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

On a simmilar note:

Lawful Stupid [flaw]
    Prerequisite: lawful allignment.

You are incapable of violating any law of the land, no matter how inane or outdated. Additionally, if you see another creature violating a law, you must attack them, or at least loudly rant against them and refuse to work with them ever again. Also, if you asee a matress tag cut off, a similar reaction ensues.

If forced to commit an unlawful act, you *must* seek attonement, and then consider the person who forced you into it as a sworn nemesis.

Paladins who take this weakness lose their powers if they ever violate a law, and recieve a boot to the head from the DM for taking the flaw. ::)
    Random stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While she had no peace in life, may she find peace in death.

Free iron rations for spam bots!

Naturally, this sig must also contain Explosive Runes.

Flying Gnomish Avatar of Doom by Mr.Pixie

Generic paladin #17 of the fan club

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Umbral_Arcanist
    Chaotic Stupid [FLAW}

*snip*

For more fun roll to see whether you perfrom two move, a standard and move or full round actions (and any possible free actions)
    This needs modification on the basis that most Chaotic Stupid actions happen just prior to combat, not during it.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Luircin
    Can't Hit Hard [Flaw]
    Through either hesitation, lack of skill, or sheer bad luck, you find it difficult to land a telling blow.
    Prerequisites: Proficient in all martial weapons.
    Effect: Reduce your critical threat range on any weapon you wield by half, rounded up. Thus, an 18-20 threat range would only threaten a critical on a 20. If the weapon's threat range is 20, you may not score critical hits with that weapon
    Eh, I'd have issues with the 20 rule. You need to give them some chance to crit. I'd say they'd only score a critical if they rolled a 20 on their threat as well.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lemmer

Eh, I'd have issues with the 20 rule. You need to give them some chance to crit. I'd say they'd only score a critical if they rolled a 20 on their threat as well.
    Not really a chance. How about just move the critical range 1 upward, so there's a 5% chance you won't crit?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by NullAshton

Not really a chance. How about just move the critical range 1 upward, so there's a 5% chance you won't crit?

Well, Improved Crit and keen both double the threat range of a weapon. If it was only -1 to a weapon's crit range, everyone who could would take this and Improved Critical and have an enhanced critical range without burning a (non-flaw-granted feat for it.

Though looking at it again, it is a bit complicated. Perhaps I should change how it makes criticals unlikely...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lemmer

How about this:

Can't Hit Hard [Flaw]:
    Through either hesitation, lack of skill, or sheer bad luck, you find it difficult to land a telling blow.
    Effect: You take a -8 penalty on all rolls to confirm a critical hit.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Tone-Deaf
    You are tone-deaf.
    Flaw: You take a -4 penalty on Perform checks involving singing or playing a musical instrument.

Lousy Timing
    You have lousy timing.
    Flaw: You take a -4 penalty on Perform (comedy), Perform (oratory), Bluff, Profession (acting), and Diplomacy checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luircin

How about this:

Can't Hit Hard [Flaw]:
    Effect: You take a -8 penalty on all rolls to confirm a critical hit.
    Why have that prerequisite?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames, the CoP

Why have that prerequisite?
    So wizards and clerics and people who don't care about scoring critical hits won't take that flaw and get a free feat off it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

Um... there are characters who don't care about scoring critical hits?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Adrenaline Junkie [Flaw]
    Prerequisite: Ability to rage
    You suffer a cumulative -1 penalty for every (60 - your character level) minutes that passes since the last time you used your barbarian rage ability.

Arrogant [Flaw]
    Prerequisite: One ability score 18+
    Your a smartass who nobody likes. Subtract your highest ability modifier from all charisma based checks.

Unempathic
    You have trouble understanding emotions. You suffer a -4 penalty to all sense motive and diplomacy checks.

Cack handed
    Prerequisite: Str 14+
    You effectively have two off hands. You add only 1/2 your strength modifier to damage when wielding a weapon in one hand and only 1 times your strength modifier to damage when wielding a weapon in two hands. When wielding a weapon in your off hand, you still add 1/2 your strength modifier as normal.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames, the CoP
    Um... there are characters who don't care about scoring critical hits?
    Okay, there are characters who care a lot LESS about scoring crits. Like the cloistered cleric who does little but buff and heal. Or the rogue whose critical hit damage is maybe ten points at most and whose damage comes almost entirely from sneak attack. Or the wizard whose spells have a remarkable lack of attack rolls.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton
    Adrenaline Junkie [Flaw]
    You suffer a cumulative -1 penalty for every (60 - your character level) minutes that passes since the last time you used your barbarian rage ability.
    -1 penalty to what?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, so this is specifically for a monk character I was devising:

Shamefully shackled

Due to your past transgressions you have opted to atone by willingly shackling your wrists together, displaying your shame for all the world to see. Although the manacles binding your wrists are non-magical, your last shreds of dignity and honour demand you to uphold your bonds. Although the manacles have enough give for the most rudimentary of tasks they effectively render a persons' arms useless. Your time spent wearing the manacles has been a difficult learning process but they are now very much a part of you and your life; you are still limited in certain areas however.

Prerequisite: Monk class
    -4 to hit with any weapon except unarmed strikes or natural attacks.
    -2 to grapple, swim, climb, balance and diplomacy checks

further edit: Reworked the flaw to veer it away from "Vow" status.
    Purveyor of Pies and the Iron Kingdoms!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Ok, everyone needs to keep in mind that the flaw does not need to be worse than the feat you are gaining in exchange. Some of the ones I've seen are worth several feats.

Adrenaline Junkie [Flaw]
    Need to specify what takes a penalty. Also, this is kinda nasty as a 1st level barbarian can only rage once per day period. So by the end of the day he must have at least a -23 penalty. Thats just not going to work.

Arrogant [Flaw]
    Your a smartass who nobody likes. Subtract your highest ability modifier from all charisma based checks.
    The mechanics on this are kind of wonky. Also, this means the higher leveled you get the more obnoxious you become?

Unempathic
    You have trouble understanding emotions. You suffer a -4 penalty to all sense motive and diplomacy checks.
    Whooooa, this is way too harsh. This is worthy of the gain of two feats since its the equivalent of a two feat loss.

Shamefully shackled

Due to your past transgressions you have opted to atone by willingly shackling your wrists together, displaying your shame for all the world to see. Although the manacles binding your wrists are non-magical, your last shreds of dignity and honour demand you to uphold your bonds. Although the manacles have enough give for the most rudimentary of tasks they effectively render you arms useless.

-2 Dex, -2 Cha
    -4 to hit with any weapon except unarmed strikes or natural attacks.
    -4 to grapple, swim, climb and balance checks
    This is an interesting concept, but it almost seems more like a Vow. And though its great for RP, its rather extreme and worth far more than a simple feat.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    This is an interesting concept, but it almost seems more like a Vow. And though its great for RP, its rather extreme and worth far more than a simple feat.
    Hmm, after looking through a few vows I had to agree with your comment. Do the new alterations make it better as a flaw or is it simply the whole concept that still makes it Vow-worthy?
    Purveyor of Pies and the Iron Kingdoms!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Ok, everyone needs to keep in mind that the flaw does not need to be worse than the feat you are gaining in exchange. Some of the ones I've seen are worth several feats.
    Really? I was under the impression that flaws are meant to be worse than negative feats because PCs will naturally take flaws that minimize their disadvantages. Take the flaws in Unearthed Arcana: -3 to a save as opposed to +2. Or a permanant -1 penalty to AC instead of that conditional +1 bonus from Dodge.

20. - Top - End - #50

BardGuy

Adrenaline Junkie [Flaw]
    Sorry, but that's just a bad flaw. Even a barbarian with lots of rages (call it, say, 4 at level 12) is going to frequently have a -7 or thereabouts penalty (presumably to hit?) and because he'd use his rages as soon as they're available, he may or may not (<1% chance) be able to rage when an encounter actually happens. If anything, I'd change this so that it instead forces the barbarian to fly into a rage at even the slightest sign of a threat (i.e. a dog snarling, even if restrained, first sight of any potential opponent, whether hostile or not, with weapons ready, etc) so long as he has one available.
    Arrogant [Flaw]
    A -4 (minimum) penalty to every cha-based skill? That's too powerful a flaw; half it and you're cooking with gas.

Unempathic
    This, I like. Makes sense and since it's only to two specific skills, it's not overpowered.
    Cack handed
    Prerequisite: Str 14+
    You effectively have two off hands. You add only 1/2 your strength modifier to damage when wielding a weapon in one hand and only 1 times your strength modifier to damage when wielding a weapon in two hands. When wielding a weapon in your off hand, you still add 1/2 your strength modifier as normal.
    I'd have thought a flaw with this name would mean you could critically fail on an attack roll of 2, myself ;) I'm not sure how I feel about effective strength reduction though, given that Wizards think it's important enough that a +2 to strength needs two -2 stats to balance it for a half-orc...

VT, a question:
    If you do not submerse yourself in a natural body of water at least one per day
    One what? One hour, one minute, one round, one bath...? I'd tend to think at least 10 minutes but if you've used this I suspect you have a clearer impression of what you mean than I do :)
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

21. - Top - End - #51

I like Adrenaline Junkie. Comeon, what kind of barbarian doesn't activate rage in combat?

Unempathic is good, since some people simply just don't use those skills.

Cack handed... ooo! I can reduce my penalty for low health with it! You should probally make it say strength BONUS...

Yeah, arrogant should be half your highest ability modifer bonus. I wanna make a sorcerer with that flaw now.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I like Adrenaline Junkie. Comeon, what kind of barbarian doesn't activate rage in combat?
    One thats out of daily rages?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

23. - Top - End - #53

BardGuy

Heh... When I DM I tend to try to fake out the barbarians... They've learned that the best time to trigger a rage isn't necessarily right at the outset, because often my critters will lead with Calm Emotions or be either deceptively powerful or weak... So they don't instantly rage every combat, because they know that they'll be hosed when they really need to. :)

My answer would have been "one who's obligated to rage once every 6 hours instead, to minimise his penalties" :) but if the penalties are just to combat rolls it'd be too easily abused and if not, it's too harsh. Forcing the use of a class feature just to regain the status quo isn't right.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte
    One thats out of daily rages?
    They get 1-5 of them. x.x

The flaw is very powerful at low levels, weak at high levels.

25. - Top - End - #55

BardGuy

Here's another thought with respect to the adrenaline junkie flaw...

How well does it work at level 60, when the barbarian takes an infinite penalty while still raging? :)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

They get 1-5 of them. x.x

The flaw is very powerful at low levels, weak at high levels.
    I tried to balance the fact that higher level barbarians can rage more by making them have to rage more often. This flaw was supposed to force barbarians to be careful about raging. It was supposed to be a penalty to skill checks and attack rolls, but I seem to have forgotten to mention it. Maybe cap it at a minimum of every 20 minutes. Maybe change the time completly if it's utterly unreasonable.

The real reason I wrote that flaw was to express a concept I'd seen in a few places. Barbarian rage just seemed like an adrenaline related ability.

Unempathic should maybe be reduced to -3 -3, as that would make it 1.5 times as effective as the feats that do similar things. However since it effects social skills maybe it deserves to be higher.

Arrogant probably should be halved now that I look at it.
    Yes, it is supposed to make you more obnoxious if you level up.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

The problem with Umempathic is the Dwarf Barbarian with a 6 Cha is going to be the one taking it, and he's not going to be the party diplomat in the first place. Basically, unless the DM keeps forcing him into social situations, the flaw has no downside.

28. - Top - End - #58

BardGuy

That's why ultimately the DM has to take responsibility for his campaign world and tell such a character sorry, no go, or specifically force situations where it comes into play. I do that kind of thing to my characters all the time; dangle a big shiny hook in front of someone who's good at personality skills, then have the half-orc get accosted by the town guard. :)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I'm making a female character right now, and I wanted her to be an intense feminist. So I thought of a Flaw for it...

Feminist
    Prerequisite: Must be female
    You are automatically mistrusting of all men, of any race. You take a -4 penalty on all charisma based checks when interacting with males.

Input?
    Theeon, Vazzaroth, anarch nomad, and my Naruto conversion site. Still under construction, but feel free to leave suggestions, comments, and questions...
    No flames...
    http://narutodnd.jconserv.net/index.php

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Fury
    You lose you control when damaged.
    Flaw: When you receive damage you become furious. You can't think cleary and try to attack the subject who damaged you. You will use use feats (such as Power Attack) and abilities (such as rage) that enchance your damage and don't require too much thinking every round if possible to attack your oponent, you receives +1 on damage rolls and -1 on attack rolls and can't use spells. After the battle you take temporay ability loss of -2 Str, Dex in addition of any penalty you normaly receive by using any ability or feat.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!