New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Domains on a non-cleric divine char?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Hmm. Would a feat that gives you the granted power (and no other benefits) of one domain you could qualify for be unbalanced?
    I don't think so. I guess it depends. Why whatcha got?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Hmm. Would a feat that gives you the granted power (and no other benefits) of one domain you could qualify for be unbalanced?
    There is such a feat. I believe its called Planar Touchstone, from the Planar Handbook. If you set it to a place called the Catalogues of Enlightenment, it gives you the granted power of any one domain you pick which is within the ethos of your character.

As far as Knowledge Devotion, even if you aren't getting the full +5, +3 or +4 is still pretty awesome for a feat. Don't worry if you can't get it maxed out. Don't forget about your masterwork tool for it (ez reference cut sheet or something). Might even be worth it to get a magic item with a +competance bonus on it, although that would be a custom item. There is precidence though, check out things like a Ring of Jumping or a Tunic of Steady Spellcasting. A Knowledge boosting item would probably take your head or face slot.

And yea, my bad about Law/War mixup with OC. It is War, I edited my post.

As far as paladin spells...Good ones are Rhino's Rush and Divine Favor at level 1, along with the utility of Lesser Restoration as a 1st level spell. 2nd level is kinda naked, with Knight's Move being an obvious winner. If you take the Battle Blessing feat, you can cast Knight's Move as a swift action, teleporting you into flanking position with an ally and allowing you to make a full attack. Its a psudo-pounce. Stone Fist from Races of Stone is also fun, turning one of your claw attacks into a 2d6 slam. 3rd level is awesome for paladins, giving you Righeous Fury for a +4 MORAL bonus to str which stacks with an enhancement bonus from your belt, and a couple of temp hp. 3rd level also has Earth Hammer from Races of Stone which increases the damage die of a weapon of your choice by 1 size. 4th level, hands down, the winner is probably Favor of the Martyr, which gives you immunity to stun, among other things. This is really useful for fighting powerful outsiders since Blasphemy will pretty much autostun you and the favorite trick of most outsiders is to have 1 spam cast Blasphemy while the other one kills you. This gives you an out against that. Other than that, Death Ward is fun, although you should probably either get Soulfire or Death Ward armor at some point. Holy Sword won't really be useful for you, since as an outsider, you are already [Good] aligned, and you are using multiple weapons which would require multiple castings.

Anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Anything else?
    LOL, I think I'll set on information. Thanks man, you're my hero!

I guess the only thing I would ask...would be if there are any items that are MUST HAVES for my character. Like what should I get other than Soulfire or Deathward Armor? Btw, I have no clue what either of those enhancements do but I can take a guess as to what Deathward Armor does.

Since, once I get my two slams, I'll be forgoing using traditional weapons, is there any enhancements still worth getting? I guess they'd have to be on my Elbow Blades or whatever weapons I use since most of my attacks will come from them, but I think just casting Greater Magic Weapon would be easier.

Basically, what should I get with my gold before I spend any of it frivolously? That includes pots, wands (I had/have skill points to spare so why not UMD), etc.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, other than the obvious stat enhancers, other things that would be worthwhile would be:

Boots of Speed (DMG)
    Cloak/Vest of Resistance (DMG/MIC)
    Pale Green (+1 hit/skills) IWIN Stone (DMG)
    Luckstone (+1 hit/skills) (DMG)
    Method of teleporation, best would be Aporter armor enhancement (MIC)
    Method of Flight, best would be Wings of Flying or Phoenix Cloak (DMG/MIC)
    Scout's Headband (or 2-3 of them) (MIC) for Trueseeing (which combines well with Awesome Smite and a Greater Revelation Crystals)
    Third Eye: Clarity (MIC) 1/day get out of stun free. Follow up with a casting of Favor of the Martyr to ward off any sucessive stunning.
    Greatreach Bracers (MIC) sometimes the difference between getting a full attack on multiple creatures or not.

And for armor, Soulfire is from BoED, is a +4 equivalent, and gives continuous Death Ward (as the spell). Cheaper would be the Death Ward enhancement from the MIC. That is a +1 equiv, but only protects you from 1 effect as an immediate action. Also good would be the Energy Immunity enhancement from MIC, which gives 1/day immunity to the flavor of energy of your choice as an immedate action for 1 minute. This is mostly for protecting against big things like really old dragons and the ol' Time Stop + Delayed Fireball trick.

Oh, and don't forget to load up an Animated Shield as well. I typically build fighter types with +1 Aporter Death Ward Energy Immunity Armor with a +1 Death Ward Energy Immunity Animated Shield. This gives you 2/day protection from both negative energy and massive elemental damage. Then you can respond by either killing whatever is negatively affecting you, or getting an actual spell cast on you to protect you further.

For your rings, I'd highly suggest Freedom of Movement, and possibly a Spellguard Ring from MIC. Spellguard lets you ignore one allies spell 3/day when he wears the other. This means if your ally throws down a really badass croud control spell, you can just wade through it and ignore it. Doesn't work with most Conjourations though, because of the SR issue. Works REALLY great if you have a Shadowcraft Mage in your group, since Shadowed Conjourations DO have SR. If not Spellguard, maybe something like Protection (blech, so expensive!) or something random like Featherfalling.

For your weapons, normally I'd suggest something like Wounding or Enervating on both to maximize your CON damage or negative levels. This might be kinda iffy for you because of the connection to negative energy. Other than that, I like Collision (MIC) because its non-elemental damage and it might be worthwhile to get something like Sudden Stunning (DMGII) if you can get it since it synergizes well with your Cha focus. Greater Dispelling (MIC) might be intresting as well, as would something like Weakening (MIC) or Binding (MIC). I just saw Mighty Smiting (MIC), which could be promising. Gives you an extra Smite/day and +2 damage while smiting. A pair of Mighty Smiting Elbow Blades would give you 2 more smites per day. Only +1 equivalent too. Eager(MIC) also looks interesting, +1 equiv for a +2 Init bonus. On both weapons, that would give a +4. Take Improved Init for a +8 bonus, which with a 16 or so dex would set you tall at +11 before any ally modifiers come into play. Spell storing is also a solid choice. Stow away a Ray of Enfeeblement or similar that you can unleash on a foe you get into melee with to reduce his ability to hurt you back. Or a Vampyric Embrace, because you can NEVER have too many temp HP (unless you happen to be on the positive energy plane).

Oh, and definitely pick up some Pearls of Power. Especially the level 1 ones are dirt cheap. These will let you cast a lot of your bread and butter Pally spells all day long. Things like Rhino's Rush and Knight's Move are probably gonna get cast a lot. These little gems keep your stamina up so you can be at maximum potency all day.

Lots to consider there. Good luck!
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-03-15 at 02:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!