New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Need ideas/posts for my world's bulletin boards please!

I run my multiverse in a sandbox styles, and I have taken the idea from a video game (was it FF Tactics? Been a while...) to place a bulletin board at each permanent settlement.

http://www.freewebs.com/celestialkin/bulletinboards.htm

On these bulletin boards I have placed things such possible plot hooks, possible items for sale (some with possible plot hooks connected to them), and possible jobs for PCs to take. I also add some posts which give fluff, background, and personality to the settlement. I have even allowed players to post bulletins if they ask, and two have recruited NPCs by this method.

I might be starting up my campaign world again, so I want to expand these before it does. In addition I have jumped the world elven years, so it needs tweaking.

I usually add bulletin boards after PCs visit a new settlement, but I just realized that I should start preparing cities' boards ahead of time, since it might become the first thing players send their characters too.

Can you guys/gals please give me some suggestions for bulletin board posts? Perhaps a short plothook/adventure idea with some (or perhaps even some for longer adventurers)?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Note: If you want a bit more information on a particular settlement, you can look it up in the (sadly not complete) Settlement page.

Note 2: Evilos and Crystal Waters+Serandia are major trade port cities in my world (the only ones unlocked by PCs/players so far) if that matters.
    Bof-dunn is an Clanless (aka outcast) dwarf community.

Buzzsaw Land is a community run by a Half-Chaos Dragon Goblin who got filthy rich beating up my old PCs/players in a coliseum battle and due to his level/power the surrounding boundary with the plane of chaos (aka Limbo) is deteriorating. With his earnings he made a huge castle, a giant statue of himself next to hit, and gathered a village of savage races to farm and make a settlement.

p.s. Anyone know of a good midi song that would fit well for this page?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Need ideas/posts for my world's bulletin boards please!

I can see this song asworking somehow, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1yQoglN98c . Maybe you could put wanted posters and information on scientific/magical developments on the boards?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Lost: One ring of power, if found contact Sauron Sarumon Sauron at 2244733393.

More seriously
    Missing: My cat, Fluffy. Tawny, enjoys sunny places. (Have it turn out to be a lion, make the players gjave to get it home alive and unharmed.)

The City Guard needs you!

Bob's Pub and Wool Clothing Emporium: Try the mutton!

Now Recruiting Matt's martial arts acadamy: Learn to be a monk. Please?

George's Quarterstaff Shop: Fastest service in town!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I can see this song asworking somehow, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1yQoglN98c . Maybe you could put wanted posters and information on scientific/magical developments on the boards?
    Thanks for the idea. Next time a player/PC messes up in a settlement in a big way I'll do it.

And thanks for the link, but I was hoping for something without vocals and more backgroundish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Lost: One ring of power, if found contact Sauron Sarumon Sauron at 2244733393.

More seriously
    Missing: My cat, Fluffy. Tawny, enjoys sunny places. (Have it turn out to be a lion, make the players gjave to get it home alive and unharmed.)

The City Guard needs you!

Bob's Pub and Wool Clothing Emporium: Try the mutton!

Now Recruiting Matt's martial arts acadamy: Learn to be a monk. Please?

George's Quarterstaff Shop: Fastest service in town!
    Brilliant!

I used them all. Thanks!

Well, all but the first one...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Not all of them should be adventure hooks. It's much more realistic if some of them aren't really targeted at the party.

Tired of working for a few copper a week? Want to help the heroes of the land without risking your life? Then we have the job for you, sell second-hand adventuring equipment. Contact Kale at Kale's Discount Maces and Adventuring Supplies.

(this is basically a pyramid scheme designed to pawn off mass quantites of non-masterwork equipment taken from mooks that adventurers' killed)

Lost kitten (and it's really a kitten).

Assistants wanted: preference given to those with high tolerance for heat. Apply at Al Alchemy.

(Al is setting up a alchemist fire factory in his lab... and has had a couple of mishaps)

Sailor/swordfighter seeking work liberating treasure on the high seas. Able to hold breath for 10 minutes. Ask at the inn for Threepwood.

(okay, if you don't get the reference, nevermind)
    -Dyllan