New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Swindlespitter

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Swindlespitter

Been thinking about this lickle dinosaur from MMIII recetly and realised that although not massively powerful, they'd probably make quite good lycanthropes.

In "exchange" for your 2 Animal HD and +2 (or 3) LA, you get a whopping +10 Dex in Hybrid/Animal form, Uncanny Dodge, 3 bonus feats and a 15ft cone of blindness/con damage poison every 1d4 rounds. Sure you have to bite a -2 Str, but that's small fry to my mind for what you're getting out of it.

The only thing is, is that I'm struggling to think of a good base race. My first thought was immediately Kobold, but that's pretty much always my first thought and stacking that -2 Str on top of the Kobolds' -4 just doesn't appeal. Thematically, I think Kobolds fit perfectly; they got the right looks, the right sort of mentality and abilities...I just don't like that -6 Str.

So, my question is this: I'm looking for a good base race for a Were-Swindlespitter. Must be Humanoid or Giant and Medium, Small or Tiny sized. Preferably something without Racial HD or a Level Adjustment and something with no more than a -2 Str penalty. Hit me with what you got!

PS: This is not so much for a character build, per se, but rather for use as a GM...e.g. a tribe of Were-SwSp Kobolds or a family of W-SwSp Orcs or something.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Swindlespitter

I'd go with your first instinct and build it off of a Kobold, if it was for a PC. Go with a USS dip for Assassin's Stance and then take Shadow Blade, Craven, WepFinesse, and Rogue or Fighter levels. +12 Dex, no armor, 3 nat weapons with massive bonus damage, you won't even notice the -6 Str. Not sure for mass-produced NPCs, though.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.