New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default [3.5] ghostly arm graft

Ok, currently I'm making a gray elf necropolitan carmendine monk 2/ swashbuckler 3/ assassin 5 (Hooray for DEX and INT!). My question is concerning how the ghostly arm graft from Libris Mortis works. It says its a touch attack that does 1d6 damage and doesn't add strength to damage, but Insightful strike and Shadow Blade (from TOB) allow me to add INT and DEX to damage. Could I add INT and DEX to this attack? If so, hooray for minor surgery!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] ghostly arm graft

I don't think it will work, because I think touch attacks do not inflict increased damage with a modifier to either strength or dexterity.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Insightful strike does, but shadow hand doesn't, as ghostly touch attacks aren't listed on the shadow hand manuevers, unless your DM states that you are allowed to use it as an unarmed strike.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Thanks, I know Standard Operating Proceduretm is to ask the DM. But since I don't have a campaign for him yet, I don't have a DM to turn to, besides the talented playgrounders. If I did, I'd also ask if I could use my monk unarmed damage. As it is I'll probably use him as an NPC in a campaign I'm writing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbeartrap View Post
    Ok, currently I'm making a gray elf necropolitan carmendine monk 2/ swashbuckler 3/ assassin 5 (Hooray for DEX and INT!). My question is concerning how the ghostly arm graft from Libris Mortis works. It says its a touch attack that does 1d6 damage and doesn't add strength to damage, but Insightful strike and Shadow Blade (from TOB) allow me to add INT and DEX to damage. Could I add INT and DEX to this attack? If so, hooray for minor surgery!
    The question is whether the bonus is normally in addition to strength, or replaces strength. Insightful Strike is in addition and would stack; Shadow Blade replaces, but since there's nothing to replace it doesn't do anything (even if you rule it as an unarmed strike to qualify). Make sense?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Hmmm... my version of shadow blade doesn't say it replaces strength but says "you can add your dexterity modifier as a bonus on melee damage..."

I understand it technically not qualifying as it is not an "unarmed" attack.