New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: DM voice-acting

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default DM voice-acting

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysid...=2325#comments
    I read this article and was curious about you guys. do you, when you DM or play, do voices? Do you narrate the female(or male, if you are female IRL) voices instead of trying to "act" them?
    share your stories, experiences or general opinions!

personally, I make voices as much as possible, but when it comes to female voices I use my normal voice although calmer and maybe a bit lighter. still sounds terrible though. Orcs have deep and raspy voices, goblins have disgusting high pitched voices (my players have yet to talk to goblin, lucky them) and gnomes talk Ny-norsk (we being norwegian tend to play our games in norwegian too).
    The spellcaster in the group have been tugging a sentient scythe along for a while but it had'nt said a single word to him until he was thrown trough the air by the paladin, stabbed a bad-guy with the scythe while pulling the halfling to safety as the cleric nuked said bad guy with fire.
    so yeah, the neutral evil scythe have a dark malicious voice. while the crystal crown the cleric have (yepp. also evil and untalked too) have a superior "better than you" voice.
    Itried to do a ye olde norwegian for a thousand-year-old warrior they met at the island of the dead kings. didnt work to well.
    Now they will venture to the arab-like country! let the stereotype voices emerge!
    Last edited by Shademan; 2009-03-12 at 03:42 AM.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DM voice-acting

I'v only ever DMed in chat rooms. If I was DMing live, I'd probably avoid trying to voice act due to how bad I am at accents (acting isn't my strong point, and my voice is irritating anyway).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I usually try to do different styles of speech for different characters rather than trying to change my voice. There's only been a few characters I've actually tried changing my voice for, not worth it really.

That said I then to act out both male and female characters, but not always, sometimes it just saves time narrating what some random NPC says.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I try to act every NPC as good as possible, including language and voice, but also habitus, gestures and eye contact to the players.
    I almost never narrate what a NPC might say, and I am not a friend of indirect speech of player characters, either.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I wish that I did a better job of this. I can do voice acting fairly well, but the problem is that I don't do enough prep work when I DM, so I end up with fairly inconsistent characters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

When I play live, I tend to do voices for different NPCs - Accents, gestures, the way they carry themselves... My players have commented on how well I make the NPCs seem different from each other.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I remember that session where the party met those 3 dwarven teenage girl amatuer sleuths... The kept saying "A clue!"

Tough on the old vocal chords.

I do tend to act out the female characters but I think I can get away with it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I tend to voice-act the tone, peculiarities of speech and manner how NPCs speak - it's easy to tell the rough barbarian apart from the cunning thief or the sensitive bard - but not the gender. I think it would sound utterly ridiculous if I tried that. I speak female characters with a softer, brighter voice, but nothing in the manner of trying to speak with an actually female voice.

What I love to do though is using my voice for dramatic effects. Nothing like deliberately lowering one's voice and speaking perfectly calmly, only to suddenly shout when the monster breaks unexpectedly through the door. Gets the players every single time.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-03-12 at 12:19 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

As a professional actor with significant experience in voice work, I go crazy with performances when I DM. My players seem to really enjoy hearing different pitches, intonations, accents and dialects for each character, and I like that I can tell them that something's amiss with an NPC by subtly changing my portrayal of them rather then by making them roll dice or narrating the NPC's emotional state.
    Play Night of The Cephalopods, a free game of Lovecraftian shenanigans that I voiced!

Also, check out the excellent pulp radio stylings of Decoder Ring Theatre, who I've been lucky enough to perform with.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I try to do voices.
    {on table-top, of course}
    Last edited by BlueWizard; 2009-03-12 at 05:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

I'm pretty bad at this... I try to remember to do different voices, but I think I'm better with facial expressions and gestures than voices. One of the other DMs in our group is friggin' fantastic with his voice acting, though. I envy his godly DMing skills.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I love voices. They're one of the few ways I've found for my players to form any kind of attachment with a character, or sometimes even remember his name.

Some races go from silly-forgettable to delightfully weird with special voices. I once did an underdark adventure in which all the Svirfneblins (svirfnebli?) spoke on inhalations, and I created the kuo-toan "sound" by pinching and tugging at my cheek. An ogre innkeeper was created by stuffing my mouth full of whatever the tabletop snack of the week was.

Accents are sometimes hard to maintain, but worth it if you can even approximate. Now if I could only stop all the accents from sliding towards scottish...
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Toliudar!