A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

cool OOTS #637 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop game—now including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #637 - The Discussion Thread

So we get much of our assumptions confirmed. The fiends did first learn of the gate from Sabine, who is still of uncertain alignment since she is working under LE Lee, but is confirmed as a succubus. They have been watching V and the rest of the gang apparently. Presumably they are also looking in on Greysky City.
    The fiend’s plan is confirmed as crazy. The dragon survived the disintegrate.

Now V’s comments are distinctly troubling. The good can, and must, kill, but it is a necessity, not something to enjoy, much less to prolong and make more painful for the [deserving] victim. Mama should be dispatched quickly and efficiently, not tortured and having her wounds rubbed raw.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

And its a good one.

Looks like we have some evidence that the name doesn't match the alignment: the yellow fiend, with the extremely Chaotic style soul (the sorcerer) and the succubus minion, is Lee.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

As I expected, the ABD survived the first shot. V is acting deliciously evil.

Now the only question is whether the ABD will do something to harm the family, or whether they will survive but have their relationship with V irreparably harmed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good comic (and a nasty one!!) Fancy saying that in front of your kids - V has it coming now!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

w00t, first page XD

nice comic :P bloodplasma screen, i want one too
    Spoiler
    Show
    98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to take this as evidence that Sabine is LE even though she is confirmed as a Succubus. It make more sense overall: she was sent to be Nale's consort and he is explicitly stated to be Lawful. I doubt CE demons would send him a girltoy just for kicks, and I can't recall her ever trying to make him act more chaotic.

And I have a bad feeling about how V's family is going to react to hearing their momdad gloat about the manner in which the young dragon died.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, but it cause so much lag that I had to wait 'til Saturday morning, and there are still only at least two replies so far. The first one, of course, is a computer generated message.

An HDTV, huh? We have like, three in the house. Although I don't really care what "HD" stands for here, I think he should have (also) explained what "TV" stands for.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Enjoying killing...the necromancer is definately leaving her mark on V.

I enjoyed this comic, and am looking forward to the next strip, which is hopefully back to Dragon v V.

And Sabine confirmed as a Succubus?! Holy boop!
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Firenail View Post
    Yeah, but it cause so much lag that I had to wait 'til Saturday morning, and there are still only at least two replies so far. The first one, of course, is a computer generated message.

An HDTV, huh? We have like, three in the house. Although I don't really care what "HD" stands for here, I think he should have (also) explained what "TV" stands for.
    The word television, when broken down, simply means "vision over a distance" and thus could easily apply to magical scrying as well as what we normally think of when we think television.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

This was basically a strip to clean up some loose threads.

Which now that I type that out, suggests we may be due for a switch to something else soon, but not in the very next strip.

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

If it's a blood plasma screen, and the HD stands for hell-damned.... what's the horrible pun for the popcorn?

THERE NEEDS TO BE A HORRIBLE PUN FOR THE POPCORN!
    What is difficult terrain for an ooze? A colander?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Damn. Evil!V is kinda awesome, but...can the kids understand common tongue? I kinda hope not, it wouldn't be cool for them to hear their parent gloating about killing stuff.
    In Pace Requiem.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kierthos View Post
    If it's a blood plasma screen, and the HD stands for hell-damned.... what's the horrible pun for the popcorn?

THERE NEEDS TO BE A HORRIBLE PUN FOR THE POPCORN!
    Children of the Corn.

Draw your own conclusions.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Isn't Lee a devil? (LE, lawful evil)

Can a devil supervise a demon? (a succubus)
    Al'tair avatar by Nevitan
    Starcraft II Europe - Cookie 647

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Qarr looks like he's moving up (down?) in the underworld.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I find it relieving that the Fiends actually decided to get meaningful employment for the little imp. It can't be easy for a damned creature to find a steady vacancy in the current market.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Good to see both Qarr being intelligent and V being deliciously evil in the same strip. Loved it totally.

19. - Top - End - #19

We don't know Lee's alignment for sure- the soul he contributed was the sorcerer one "tear down creation just to see if you can"

Maybe the names were done that way just to make us think they would correlate?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kyronea View Post
    Children of the Corn.

Draw your own conclusions.
    The corn is people! Mmm... the butter and salt are people too!
    What is difficult terrain for an ooze? A colander?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

isn't anybody worried what v's description of how he blasted the younger bd to bits will do to his relation to his family? oO
    i mean it must be kind of disturbing for them to hear v brag about that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

We didn't know that the yellow-eyed fiend was Lee up until now, so we didn't know that Lee spliced the sorcerer.

On a side note: we still don't know which one is Cedrik and which one is Neo
    Al'tair avatar by Nevitan
    Starcraft II Europe - Cookie 647

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Oh crap, V-Man get the voices out of your head and care for your family! Quickly! Don't play games with the angry black dragon!!!!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

No popcorn for me thanks, this dragon taunting is delicious enough for me.
    I am of death. Subtle and glaring. Bane and champion.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Loved V in this last strip.

And he was never good to begin with. He was neutral anyway! Good for him to get some of that evil out of his system while he can still torture Ancient Black Dragons/Sorcerers out of spite.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

The succubus... "works under"... Director Lee, keeping him... "abreast"... of developments?

Took me a couple of readthroughs to notice that play on words, but it made me smile when I did.

Also liked the popcorn side business (Evil does not share ), and loved the HDTV as a way to continue/watch the main business from a side location (also liked the "connection" to Xykon's TiVo... the Good planes apparently have to watch the mortal world manually, but evil gets tech ). There would have been a riot if we didn't find out right now what had happened with that Quickened Disintegrate. Also really great to have Qarr as the transfer pivot, and to see him climbing the demonic corporate ladder... I kinda like him, and it's good to see more of him (and more of him getting ahead; I think he's got something as well, now that we're seeing more of him. After all, he did pull off leveraging that poker I.O.U. and all. And talk his way out of being completely disintegrated by V. So yeah, he's got something they can use, and I'm glad the fiends appreciate it).

Glad to have confirmed that it was a 10th level spell slot (no spell slot modifiers in use, thus), and that V's tiredness was a factor that could be and was played upon by the fiends. Also liked the confirmation that the plan proposed was ridiculous, but not because it had no possibility whatsoever of working (even V wasn't tired enough to have missed that if it had been the case on the face of it, even it it might have been the case if you had made a detailed analysis, which V was of course too tired and panicked to do), but that even suggesting that plan revealed more of the fiends' business than would have been advisable (except that V was too tired to make that connection), which worked for me as a resolution to that argument.

But what the hell (pun intended) is V playing at??? I know shi is not "Good" (shi's Neutral, so the argument in the first post above-- "Good should not enjoy killing when it must"-- falls), but rubbing the original wound that way is 1) not smart (I mean, look at what V hirself was impelled to do when the Dragon specified the torture that she planned to put V's kids through, and the Dragon is far from dead), 2) flatly Evil (and just not very V-like, imo, tbh).

I mean, seriously... "he mewled helplessly while I disintegrated him"? Eeeeuw.... and furthermore, it's a lie as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I was the Dragon, I'd take a deep breath and acid breath V's family before V had a chance to finish me off.... (monologuing... never a good thing )

.... which may be the very point of the exercise, if the souls have a deal with the fiends (which I think may well be the case; no one ever asked how precisely the Soul Splice works on the fiends' end, and what requirements they have to be able to splice a soul under their dominion to a living soul not under their dominion. A deal saying "cooperate and allow us to do this and we'll lighten your "sentence" when the Splice is released and you come back" seems more than possible) to influence V subtly enough that shi will not lose control as such, but will act in a way that causes bad things to happen that shi will think are hir own fault (because shi was nominally in control).

If V snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.... well, that would be quite something, after all shi's been through to get to this point.
    Last edited by motub; 2009-03-14 at 07:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

My main concern here is that V has not learned his/her lesson. This dragon undoubtedly has older and more powerful relatives, too.

The best thing he could do from here would be to get a ceasefire and offer to work at raising the dragoness' slain child - although I fear in V's present state, it's impossible for them to reach a peaceful resolution.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

I think that feedback of the evil souls back into V is starting to happen...not good. And was everyone wrong when they assumed Lee = Lawful Evil, or has Sabine been working under the auspices of the IFCC as a whole with Lee just taking a lead role with respect to her?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nice dig at reality tv there, Giant - and he's 100% right of course. The concept of reality tv could only have been concocted by a howling hellspawn of the damned.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

More! More!

{Okay, so I'm willing to be patient.}