New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Looking for a Cha-based caster (3.X)

As the title says, I'm looking for a Charisma-based caster class (preferably full-casting) that ideally is not divine (so no Favored Soul).

And before anyone suggests it, yes: I have heard of sorcerers.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Looking for a Cha-based caster (3.X)

Off the top of my head

Well, theres Spirit Shaman, but thats divine.

Warlock

Warmage

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Warmage from Complete Arcane is one class. This class does not suffer from arcane spell failure provided that the character is wearing light armor, but it would progress to medium armor after a certain level.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror). But surely you have a more specific requirement than "non-divine cha-based full caster, but not a sorcerer"... what are you after?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

There's the Generic Spellcaster from UA.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

There's Bard into Sublime Chord, though that requires PrCing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    As the title says, I'm looking for a Charisma-based caster class (preferably full-casting) that ideally is not divine (so no Favored Soul).

And before anyone suggests it, yes: I have heard of sorcerers.
    Okay, but have you heard of Bards?

(Not full casting I know, but there's at least one way to get that.)

But yeah, what do you have in mind? A Warlock is pretty vastly different from a Warmage but they both use the same stat. Also if you don't mind psionics instead you could go with a Wilder.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    But surely you have a more specific requirement than "non-divine cha-based full caster, but not a sorcerer"... what are you after?
    No, that's pretty much where I'm going.

I'm looking for relatively broad spell selection, with some scary spell access, and Charisma-based casting. I'm not sure how much more specific I can be.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I suggest the dread necroamncer class. It offers plenty of perks besides its full casting focus of necromancy such as zombie traits, DR, and makes it far simplier to become a lich if that is what you are looking for.

Warmage is another good class if your looking for your typical blaster type. Both allow the use of light armor, giving you a better AC.
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2009-03-15 at 01:53 PM. Reason: A serious lack of spelling skills

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the Battle Sorcerer variant from UA, although if you don't like Sorcerer, that probably won't appeal...

I also recommend Dread Necromancer or Warmage.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Dread necromancer is a definite "No." Warmage feels a bit limited to me in terms of spell selection.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, no dread necromancer or warmage then. Sorcerer is kind of obvious, but I can't really think of many others. You could go wizard/sorcerer/Ultimate Magus if your looking for broad spell casting skills.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

13. - Top - End - #13

What exactly is wrong with Sorcerer? Because it sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. Any other class that met all of your requirements would be a waste of ink because it would be so similar to Sorcerer.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2009-03-15 at 02:00 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    What exactly is wrong with Sorcerer? Because it sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.
    True, and annoyingly so. I'm not permitted to use the four core full-casters. Otherwise, I'd be on Sorcerer in a heartbeat.

And the character is a neutral good half-celestial living in the Upper Planes, so undead is not so great an option.

Yes, I know it screams divine casting, but it's not gonna fly.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-03-15 at 02:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Warmage works if you take Rainbow Servant (CD), since you'd eventually be able to spontaneously cast the entire Cleric spell list. Get the feat Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) and you'll qualify at Warmage 4 (by both RAW and RAI). If you don't like the feel of it, reflavor it to for something other than couatls. Someone I play with just loved his Phoenix Servant character, using the Good, Fire, and Renewal domains in place of Good, Air, and Law. It's probably one of the easiest prestige classes to reflavor to better suit a particular character.

Wilder would be another option if you're able to use Psionics.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    True, and annoyingly so. I'm not permitted to use the four core full-casters. Otherwise, I'd be on Sorcerer in a heartbeat.
    Battle Sorcerer might be what you're looking for then, if the DM considers it different enough to the core Sorcerer to be eligible...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, not a caster per ce, but it sounds like Wilder would work out fine for you. Not the most powerful class ever, but Psionics are a solid system open to accomplish all sorts of goals.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Warmage works if you take Rainbow Servant (CD), since you'd eventually be able to spontaneously cast the entire Cleric spell list. Get the feat Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) and you'll qualify at Warmage 4 (by both RAW and RAI). If you don't like the feel of it, reflavor it to for something other than couatls. Someone I play with just loved his Phoenix Servant character, using the Good, Fire, and Renewal domains in place of Good, Air, and Law. It's probably one of the easiest prestige classes to reflavor to better suit a particular character.
    That's... umm... yikes. Odd ruling - for PrC's with low feat requirements, who's skill requirements don't force it, means the Sorcerer can occasionally get in earlier than the Wizard... that's a bit of an about-face. Hmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Wilder would be another option if you're able to use Psionics.
    Yeah, it would be.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Psionics would be nice, but inadmissable per DM fiat. I'm restricted to arcane or divine, and I'm not a fan of divine.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

...another option might be Bard/Sublime Chord - not exactly "full casting", but pretty close.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Close, yeah, but it's pretty limp on the latter end.

Still, that's definitely the closest I've seen so far.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Beguiler is technically INT, but follows the same pattern as the Warmage and the Dread Necromancer. A lenient GM might allow you to swap the primary stat from INT to CHA (I'd actually view that as a step down for a straight-class Beguiler, because they have a really great skill list). Of course, your GM sounds pretty rigid, so that's probably not an option, but you might bring it up.

The Dragonfire Adept is an invocation-user like the Warlock, with an at-will breath weapon instead of an at-will lazor pew pew (sorry, "eldritch blast"). Charisma determines the saves for their invocations, and Constitution determines the saves for their breath weapon.

The Spirit Shaman has been mentioned, but it's divine. I'd argue that it feels less divine than a cleric or favored soul, but if you're set against divine on principle, that's a no go.

The Shugenja, also divine, doesn't get a lot of love, mainly because they also don't get a lot of love from WotC, but they have a unique spell list that includes cleric, druid, and sorcerer spells, so you can focus on some of the traditionally arcane spells if you choose. They're kind of underpowered compared to sorcerers, but they still do get full 9th-level casting.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    The Shugenja, also divine, doesn't get a lot of love, mainly because they also don't get a lot of love from WotC, but they have a unique spell list that includes cleric, druid, and sorcerer spells, so you can focus on some of the traditionally arcane spells if you choose. They're kind of underpowered compared to sorcerers, but they still do get full 9th-level casting.
    This. They are a little underpowered but they are a strong contender for what you want. Sure they are "divine" but they don't feel like a divine casting class. Heck they even have spell failure like a regular caster.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Perhaps you'd be interested in playing a Binder, from the Tome of magic?

They're really pretty nifty.
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    A lenient GM might allow you to swap the primary stat from INT to CHA (I'd actually view that as a step down for a straight-class Beguiler, because they have a really great skill list). Of course, your GM sounds pretty rigid, so that's probably not an option, but you might bring it up.
    Extremely so, I fear. I've maxed out my admittedly liberal concessions already, and that one will certainly be forbidden.

As for shugenja, underpowered and Oriental-flavored... it won't fly, sadly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma
    As for shugenja, underpowered and Oriental-flavored... it won't fly, sadly.
    The only thing "oriental" (gods, but I hate that word) about shugenja is the name. Call them "elementalists," and the ofuda (which is just typical clumsy Japanese non-translation... お札, if GitP can display kanji, is just "charm" or "talisman") something like "prayer scrolls" or "spell texts" or something. Done. There's nothing inherently "oriental" about them. The "oriental" class distinctions have always pissed me off... the word doesn't actually mean anything to begin with (I could rant about this for a while), and it's all just BS "exoticism." The worst part, of course, is when they either don't bother to translate a word or when they translate it really clumsily... but I'm getting off-topic.

But yeah, there's nothing inherently "oriental" about Shugenja. The mage with a strong tie to the elements has a strong presence in European fantasy (and modern American fantasy) as well, and there's no reason to tie it to some BS "exotic" land. Just rename it and you're done.

As for it being underpowered... yeah, that's true, simply because their spell list has been expanded exactly once, in Complete Champion. We all know that more spells means more options and more options means more power, and they haven't been given enough attention to be on par with a proper cleric or sorcerer. They still do have a decent (if not fantastic) selection of spells, somewhere around that of a PHB-only sorcerer (maybe a little less). If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you, but given the criteria you've presented us, I think it's as close as you're going to get without going Bard -> Sublime Chord (which is, let's face it, basically just a sorcerer with a late start).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

*shrug* It's no different than "Occidental," just sees more currency.

And the five-elements thing marks them out.

Anyways, does anyone have any other suggestions? If I had to go divine, what would you recommend?

(I really don't want to, as I've already been warned I'll need a miraculous justification to keep my divine casting later in the campaign. He's been pretty fair in that respect.)
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-03-15 at 05:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Just go Bard/Sublime Chord then. He'll be behind a Sorcerer in casting level levels 6, 8, 9 & 10, and always has less slots, but otherwise matches Sorc fine and has solid auxillary abilities to go with the casting (like Metamagic Song).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

And less spells known, too...

Cagey DM.

*sigh* What about arcane casters without full casting? Are there any with a fair spell selection apart from bards?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I have an alternate question: Why Charisma based?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.