New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default 3.5 Weapon Question

Hi all, I was wondering if there was any effective equivalent to a greatsword / greataxe which deals bludgeoning damage, and if so, which book it is found in.

To clarify, what I am looking for is a 2 handed bludgeoning weapon which deals 2d6 or 1d12 damage.

Any assistance on this issue is greatly appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: 3.5 Weapon Question

Quote Originally Posted by BelorinMoonclaw View Post
    Hi all, I was wondering if there was any effective equivalent to a greatsword / greataxe which deals bludgeoning damage, and if so, which book it is found in.

To clarify, what I am looking for is a 2 handed bludgeoning weapon which deals 2d6 or 1d12 damage.

I know there is, but I can't for the life of me remember where to find it or what it's called, I know it's a 1d12 though, and it's essentially a big hammer.
    Let all who look upon me and scoff be damned.

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflecart View Post
    I know there is, but I can't for the life of me remember where to find it or what it's called, I know it's a 1d12 though, and it's essentially a big hammer.
    Goliath Greathammer, page 154 of Races of Stone.
    Let all who look upon me and scoff be damned.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Cool, thanks a bunch

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

The heavy flair hits .5 damage average less than a great axe.

Edit: While I was on SRD looking up weapons you ninja'ed me. Me sad
    Last edited by Kroy; 2009-03-16 at 01:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

you could also go for the maul/mallet in the arms and equipment guide but since goliath hammer sounds much more awesome....
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There's the Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic page 101) + Monk's Belt. Together they'll let you do 2d6 unarmed damage. And you can do this with both your hands, so that's 2 handed, right?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

There's also the Greathammer. Monster Manual IV, page 101. An exotic weapon, but the damage for medium creatures is 1d12, 19-20/x4. Ouch.

9. - Top - End - #9

there's also the Warmace from the complete warrior.

you sacrifice 1 AC, but it's a 2-handed martial weapon, bludgeoning, and a 1d12 damage.
    signatures are for people who have the same profile pic as someone else

10. - Top - End - #10

Lightbulb Re: 3.5 Weapon Question

yes the shillalah or some such nonsense word, any-who the item in question is found in frostburn and is an exotic bludgeoning and slashing weapon.
    i also think that the maul (complete worrier) might be the bludgeoning, exotic equivalent of the great sword and great axe.

i would like to know however is why you need this weapon and if it is a mater of DR why not use the weapon enhancement in the magic item compendium?
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflecart View Post
    Goliath Greathammer, page 154 of Races of Stone.
    There's also that other "broken" greathammer from MMIV (Greathorn Minotaur entry), with the 19-20/x4 crticial.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    yes the shillalah or some such nonsense word, any-who the item in question is found in frostburn and is an exotic bludgeoning and slashing weapon.
    The sugliin? Why, sir, that's not a silly weapon at all! I LOVE being able to swing around a haphazard amalgam of sticks, antlers, bones, and rope! Seriously, though, I do love the sugliin, even if it does suck. (You know, since it requires TWO feats to use it correctly.)
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    The sugliin? Why, sir, that's not a silly weapon at all! I LOVE being able to swing around a haphazard amalgam of sticks, antlers, bones, and rope! Seriously, though, I do love the sugliin, even if it does suck. (You know, since it requires TWO feats to use it correctly.)
    Master of Masks may make it doable with a one-level dip(not having seen the weapon, I can't be sure).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    2d8+1.5 Str damage on a hit? As a level 1 Neanderthal fighter? Why yes please!

Gotta love the sugliin.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Specter, you might have been conflating it with the spell shillelagh, named for a kind of Irish cudgel.
    Last edited by Teron; 2009-03-16 at 10:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The sugliin is one of the most hilariously awesome weapons in the game. The mental image is, in my mind, truly worth the cost. Also, for what it's worth, if you're one of those people who MUST use Monkey Grip just for the rush of having a really big weapon, the sugliin is a decent choice. (The difference between 2d8 and 3d8 is... acceptable, at least at lowish levels. Maybe not worth the feat in a 15 or 20 level build, but still fun.)

My roommate recently played a Neraph warblade who used a monkey-gripped Large sugliin in the campaign I'm running right now. Give yourself a second and picture that. A giant frog wielding an enormous antler-tree. (Not only that, but since he was a warblade, he was wielding it with extreme skill. No clumsy barbarian-style bashing.) Glorious.

17. - Top - End - #17

biggrin Re: 3.5 Weapon Question

Quote Originally Posted by Teron View Post
    Specter, you might have been conflating it with the spell shillelagh, named for a kind of Irish cudgel.
    no, no, i had the name wrong, i was not referring to an irish club, the weapon in question is the sugliin, like rtg0922 said;
    Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922
    Why, sir, that's not a silly weapon at all! I LOVE being able to swing around a haphazard amalgam of sticks, antlers, bones, and rope! Seriously, though, I do love the sugliin, even if it does suck. (You know, since it requires TWO feats to use it correctly.)
    it's awesome, exotic, requires two feats to use and looks like a jumble of bones and sticks bound to a pole with leather. it is the essence of epic two weapon intenseness.
    Last edited by gabado; 2009-03-16 at 11:18 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Can someone post the stats/requirements for the Sugliin for me? I want to figure out what builds can wield it with little-to-no cost.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Master of Masks may make it doable with a one-level dip(not having seen the weapon, I can't be sure).
    It takes care of the EWP feat, but not the Sugliin Mastery feat that you'd also need. See, with just EWP, it takes a full round action to make a single attack, which SUCKS. Sugliin Mastery lets you use it as normal, so it's basically required.

I've always wanted to just do a Goliath Barbarian/Fighter or something like that (nothing too fancy) who uses a sugliin. (Hello Powerful Build and a big racial Str bonus!) I actually got to build one once, but the campaign never got beyond character creation (like so many games I've been involved with).

EDIT @Sstoopid: It's a two-handed exotic bludgeoning piercing and slashing reach weapon (IIRC). It does 2d6 Small, 2d8 Medium, or 3d8 Large. Crit is just x2. It takes a full-round to make a single attack unless you take the special Sugliin Mastery feat. RealmsHelp has more info.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-03-16 at 11:29 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I actually played a Neanderthal Fighter/Barbarian once that used a sugliin. His philosophy was this (remember, he has an Int of 4): "This? This my sugliin. Great ancestor inside. Helps me crush enemies. How I crush? Like this!" *power attacks the person with the sugliin for gigantic damage* "There, now you know."

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I actually played a Neanderthal Fighter/Barbarian once that used a sugliin. His philosophy was this (remember, he has an Int of 4): "This? This my sugliin. Great ancestor inside. Helps me crush enemies. How I crush? Like this!" *power attacks the person with the sugliin for gigantic damage* "There, now you know."
    And knowing *twinkle* Is Half The Battle!
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

As others have stated, the Sugliin isn't worth it. 2d8 *2 reach weapon is nice, but it takes two feats (Exotic Weapon Prof and Sugliin Mastery) to use correctly. Even as part of a Haberdash build, it's only useful before you get more then one attack. After that, it's really not worth a feat for an extra 1d8ish damage.

Having said that, if you use Expansion and tag team with somebody using Greater Mighty Wallop, then you can get up to 8d8 damage at ECL 8 (maybe even ECL 6ish with Midnight Augmentation and/or Overchannel). But you can pull of a similar combo using Monk levels or Claws of the Beast for even more damage.
    Last edited by Person_Man; 2009-03-17 at 10:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    After that, it's really not worth a feat for an extra 1d8ish damage.
    Still better than Weapon Specialization, though, and you don't even need to be a fighter!
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous