New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Insanowar 3: Mud Fight!

Welcome to Insanowar

Da Rules:

1.) There are five players, each of which represent a commander of their army.

2.) Each player takes turns choosing some powerful character, semi-powerful group of characters, or large mob of expendable non-characters from any sort of media. Examples: The TMNTs, a Dreadnought from 40K, a mob of kobolds.

3.) When each player has 10 selections, the game begins.

4.) A map will be provided showing the layout of the battlefield. Each person will have a base of operations with which they can wage war. Note that each base is about 2 turns away from each other.

5.) A static turn order is established. In each turn, the player dictates what their troops are doing, as far as the opponent can see. Secret actions need not be reported (although it is good sportsmanship to give hints as to what your are planning).

6.) When troops engage, the person whose turn the engagement took place on decides the outcome, which will usually NOT be all one way. If there is any friendly dispute (and the dispute WILL be friendly, or else), other players/playgrounders chime in with their opinions. If no consensus is reached, it's a 50/50 slaughter.

7.) The winner is the one who wins.

Da Guidelinez:

1.) You can't choose anyone TOO powerful. No gods, demigods, anything like that. Make it something that's about the same power level as the other troops on the field.

2.) Don't be a jerk. The objective here is to have fun--frankly, who wins and who loses is pretty arbitrary anyway. This game is definitely straddling the line between Silly and Structured.

3.) Respect Awesomeness. If a player is pulling off something that's just too awesome to believe, that should aid his victory.

4.) Enjoy yourself. Seriously, guys.

The turn order is as follows:
    1. Shadowcaller
    2. Saint Nil
    3. Recaiden
    4. Fin
    5. Mordokai

Last edited by Reinholdt; 2009-03-17 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Insanowar 3: Mud Fight!

ARMY LISTS

Shadowcaller - Gate 1 & Gate 2 & Most of Base & Tower
    1. Marduk
    2. 10 2 Dimir Infiltrators
    3. Kratos
    4. 5-Man WoW party
    5. SSV Normandy + Crew(Ashley Williams, Garrus Vakarian, Urdnot Wrex, Tali'Zorah nar Rayya and Commander Shepard, Liara T'Soni, Kaidan Alenko)
    6. Szadek, Lord of Secrets
    7. 100 Chimpanzees on segways
    8. The A-Team
    9. MacGuyver
    10. Ceiling Cat --> Happy Cat

Saint Nil - Gate 1 & Gate 2 & base --> The DreadNought
    1. Yami Yugi (the abridged series version)
    2. Sizemore
    3. Wanda
    4. 20non-plot important flying ganmen
    5. Big Boss
    6. Darth Vader
    7. Five Power Rangers and their Megazords
    8. Four BlackMages
    9. 20 Santa Elves
    10. Mordokai --> Darth Mordenkainen & his mini-ganman

Recaiden - Gate 1 & Gate 2
    1. Yuji & Marlene (No equipment)
    2. Sun Stealer
    3. Charlene McGee "Charlie"
    4. Chell & Portal Gun & Weighted Companion Cube
    5. Sandry, Daja, Tris, Briar, Chime
    6. Magiere, Leesil, Chap
    7. Eradicator Hexapod (strengthened)
    8. Mastermind
    9. Cliff Racer flock - 150
    10. Orihime Inoue

Fin - Gate 1 & Gate 2
    1. Roland Deschain
    2. Gene Starwind
    3. Bucky O'Hare with crew/ship
    4. 352.7 0.6 slow zombies
    5. Audrey II
    6. Gingerbread Golem
    7. One Aussie Rules Football Team
    8. Belkar Bitterleaf
    9. Jarlaxle --> A Diatryma
    10. 30 Gremlins

Mordokai - Gate 1 & Gate 2 & Parts of Base Wall
    1. Calvin and Hobbes
    2. Captain Caveman and Teen Angels
    3. Danger Mouse and Penfold
    4. Korgoth
    5. 100 cannon fodder soldiers
    6. Alma --> 2 animated flesh-eating... gates...
    7. Sephiroth
    8. Waldo
    9. Frank Castle
    10. 10 Grey Knights

Neutral - 5000 Jello Goons
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2009-05-17 at 12:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, folks, here's the map!

Spoiler
    Show

Top Base is Shadowcaller's. The other bases are assigned as per turn order, counterclockwise. The field is littered with rocks, many of which are large enough to provide cover.

The field is otherwise flat. I figured we'd start with a simple map to iron out all the little snags, then later matches would have complex terrain. ((In other words, I can't draw so I'm using what I've already got.))

Each base is blocked off by two massive gates, which can be magically opened by the psychic powers of the warlord who owns them or nonmagically opened by a hell of a lot of concentrated, sustained firepower. Neither base can be teleported, flown, or passed ethereally into. You can fly/teleport/pass ethereally out of your own base.

Each base is a tower, very solid, containing:

1.) A ground floor, used as a combination garage and hangar

2.) A second floor, a sprawling barracks

3.) A third floor, a metalworker's shop.

4.) A fourth floor, a big empty space.

Also, each base is stocked with enough lumber to build a small cabin, enough iron to build a few machines, and enough electronics supplies to make a couple basic computers. To get any more, you'll have to raid the stash of an opponent.

In addition, each base is stocked with 15 laborers. These laborers are magic constructs, and cannot fight, be used as shields, or contribute in any way to the conflict besides doing simple construction and simple repairs. They can be killed, easily.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2009-03-17 at 11:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Alrighty! Most all of that was stolen from Rutskarn. *gives credit to*

We can now start the recruitment phase! Round 1 of this, you pick one unit.
    Round 2 two.
    Round 3 three.
    Round 4 four.

If you pick someone or something less well known, make sure you include information about it, either through link or description.

Round 1. Shadowcaller starts off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The first unit I'm going to pick is the demon Marduk from the PC-game Sacrifice.

Marduk is about as large as a human being and can use a number of spells and summons.

I'm going to limit Marduk to only be able to summon two of these (the huge white winged creature).

If they would die Marduk would be able to re-summon them. Marduk's most powerful, non-summon spell is this (see the huge pillar of fire up there?).

This spell can only be cast if Marduk can see the ground he is casting it upon. Marduk also got a number of other less powerful spells such as fireball, heal and chain-lighting (I don't think I need to link those).

In melee combat Marduk is nothing, he only uses his spells to do anything. But however, he is quite hard to kill since he is automatically healing himself all the time, but enough damage in a short amount of time would bring him down.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Marduk
    2. .
    3. .
    4. .
    5. .
    6. .
    7. .
    8. .
    9. .
    10. .
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2009-03-17 at 04:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Okay, I'm next then.

Spoiler
    Show
    I choose Yami Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged series, whose main power is being the main character!
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2009-03-17 at 03:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I choose Yuji Kaido and Marlene Angel from Blue Gender, in Double Edge and Sniper class armored shrikes. The Shrikes are wheeled mechs made to fight giant bugs in ranged and melee combat. The Double Edge has a pair of bladed limbs in addition to fists and guns, and can only be used well by Yuji. He is related to the giant bugs, making him an exceptional fighter, but prone to berserk rages. Marlene is just a trained soldier and the Sniper is pretty much what it sounds like.

Army List
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Yuji & Marlene
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Roland Deschain the Gunslinger from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. He is a crack shot with his revolvers, has one mega-sharp dagger, a spiffy cowboy hat and an all round bad-ass attitude. He will be joining the fight before he meets Eddie Dean in the novels so he will have both his revolvers for some dual wielding action!

Army List:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Roland Deschain
    Last edited by Fin; 2009-03-19 at 02:45 AM.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Calvin and Hobbes will be my first unit! I realise there's two of them, but I think everybody can agree they count as one With the power of wits, sarcasm and annoyance, nothing can stand in their way! Plus the ability to transform into one of many Calvin's alteregos and Hobbes's prowess at math... all the better! Oh, the ability to have flying time machine, transmogrifier, duplicator and atomic cerebral enhance-O-tron... all for a price of cardboard box... really, what's not to like!

Army list:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Calvin and Hobbes
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Calvin and Hobbes will be my first unit! I realise there's two of them, but I think everybody can agree they count as one With the power of wits, sarcasm and annoyance, nothing can stand in their way! Plus the ability to transform into one of many Calvin's alteregos and Hobbes's prowess at math... all the better! Oh, the ability to have flying time machine, transmogrifier, duplicator and atomic cerebral enhance-O-tron... all for a price of cardboard box... really, what's not to like!
    That is an interesting choice with a good chance of being made of awesome and win. I have an idea of how I would beat him, but I'm not a part of this game, so I won't give anybody any ideas.

Oh! Don't mind me! I'm just here to watch the epicness unfold.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

11. - Top - End - #11

Oh I'm pretty sure someone will just kill them as soon as they're left exposed. It tended to be what happened in the other game. Still, it was a good pick.

@V: Well, in the last game there were two time travelling parties, and I believe Reinholdt used on to his advantage, getting back a fair few members of his army back as a result, instead of him playing the game out with only Fox.
    Last edited by billtodamax; 2009-03-19 at 05:32 AM.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Army list:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Calvin and Hobbes
    Cool choice, but...
    Is time travel allowed?
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2009-03-19 at 05:28 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

In the first game Time Travel was the equivalent of one do-over per time machine. Reinholdt captured one of my time machines, and undid the casualties of his tower, the other time machine wasn't used.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    In the first game Time Travel was the equivalent of one do-over per time machine. Reinholdt captured one of my time machines, and undid the casualties of his tower, the other time machine wasn't used.
    That make sense I guess, I was more worried about the extrem abuse a time-machine could do.

Edit: My next pick will be 10 Dimir Infiltrators, contradictory to the image they are (at least in the novels) always invisible spirits, unless their natural invisibility is negated by powerful magic (no, throwing a bucket of color on them do not work as seen in the novels).

They can move without making a sound and are often used as spies or assassins.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Marduk
    2. 10 Dimir Infiltrators
    3. .
    4. .
    5. .
    6. .
    7. .
    8. .
    9. .
    10. .
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2009-03-19 at 11:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Okay, for my second unit, I would like Sizemore the Dirtomancer from Erfworld.
    EDIT-Thanks to Mordokai's notice, I can also get Wanda the Croakamancer.
    Spoiler
    Show

1.Yami Yugi(Abridged)
    2. Sizemore
    3.Wanda

V-Your right! Thank you!
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2009-03-19 at 07:17 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we're supposed to select two units this turn?

Also, I don't think Shadowcaller realises just how time traveling works in Calvin&Hobbes
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Mordokai is indeed correct. Two choices this go around. So Shadowcaller has another choice to make. And indeed, time machines can be used for a one-shot mulligan as was shown in the first game.

Of course, knowing Calvin and Hobbes, they are as likely to do as much damage to themselves as good trying to use theirs.

Just remember the guidelines about fun and everything should be good.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2009-03-19 at 11:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

18. - Top - End - #18

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we're supposed to select two units this turn?

Also, I don't think Shadowcaller realises just how time traveling works in Calvin&Hobbes
    Of course I do, I was more worried that the player with it should abuse it in some way (players can't be trusted with these things).

Also, my second pick this round would be Kratos from God of War (the first game that is).

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Marduk
    2. 10 Dimir Infiltrators
    3. Kratos
    4. .
    5. .
    6. .
    7. .
    8. .
    9. .
    10. .
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2009-03-19 at 11:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Gah!... One of my picks!... STOLEN!!!
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.

20. - Top - End - #20

My first pick is Sun Stealer, an Amarantin AI from Revelation Space, in one of the combat spacesuits he had near the end. He's very skilled at computer hacking. Here, having no physical body, he's an empty suit of power armor. The armor has a lot of offensive power and a ridiculous variety of weapons but doesn't have too many defenses.

My second pick is Charlene McGee, from Firestarter. A little girl around 8 years old with psychic powers. Mainly, telekinesis and very strong pyrokinesis. Very little if any mind affecting powers. TV sequel? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Army List
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Yuji & Marlene
    2. Sun Stealer
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Gene Starwind with his Caster, basically a gun that fires epic shells. As such he will be without his ship/crew.

To make up for the lack of said ship/aerial threat I will be recruiting Bucky, Captain Bucky O'Hare and his ship/crew. If I need to link this one to help people understand then they don't deserve to...

Army:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Roland Deschain
    2. Gene Starwind
    3. Bucky O'Hare with crew/ship

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

For my next units... first, I'll choose Captain Caveman(with Teen Angels) and Danger Mouse! Yes, Penfold included

Army list:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Calvin and Hobbes
    2. Captain Caveman and Teen Angels
    3. Danger Mouse and Penfold
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2009-03-19 at 06:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Three choices this time around.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #24

I pick one WoW (World of Warcraft) 5-man party (One Discipline Priest, one Feral Druid, one Retribution Paladin, one Unholy Death Knight, one Fire Mage.)

SSV Normandy + Crew (Commander Shepard, Ashley Williams, Liara T'Soni, Garrus Vakarian, Urdnot Wrex, Tali'Zorah nar Rayya, Kaidan Alenko)
    From the PC-Game Mass Effect.

Szadek, Lord of Secrets, a powerful vampire that drinks knowledge instead of blood. He can fly and don't have any of the "traditional" vampires weaknesses except for sunlight of course. He can like Marduk be killed by enough damage in a short amount of time (but can heal himself drinking knowledge of his victims.)

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Marduk
    2. 10 Dimir Infiltrators
    3. Kratos
    4. 5-Man WoW party
    5. SSV Normandy + Crew
    6. Szadek, Lord of Secrets
    7. .
    8. .
    9. .

25. - Top - End - #25

Okay, my three picks

4. 20 non plot important flying ganmen. ANyone who has seen Gurren Laggan knows that this is not overpowered.

5. Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3

6. Darth Vader.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

My 4th pick is Chell and the Weighted Companion Cube. Chell may or may not be just a person. Mainly, she has the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, which fires 2 connected portals. The Companion Cube is an inanimate cube with a heart on each face.

My 5th pick is the four main characters from the Circle of Magic Series. Young magic using people, with exceptional powers even in magic, whose main talent seems to be getting into horrible situations. Named Sandry, Daja, Tris, and Briar; their powers are thread, metal, weather, and plants, respectively. Also, a tiny glass dragon named Chime, who is Tris's pet.

My 6th pick is the group of vampire hunters Magiere, Leesil, and Chap from the Saga of the Noble Dead. Magiere is a 1/2 vampire, and becomes much stronger and faster and more vampiric when angry or hurt. She has a magic sword designed to fight vampires and a bone amulet that lets her use more vampire powers. Leesil is a 1/2 elf assassin, usually drunk. Chap is a bluish monster hunting dog.

Army List
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Yuji & Marlene
    2. Sun Stealer
    4. Chell & Cube
    5. Sandry, Daja, Tris, Briar, Chime
    6. Magiere, Leesil, Chap
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Well, Recaiden has the companion cube. It's over already.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

That companion cube is going to hold down so many buttons.
    (not sarcasm)
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Ooh me!

4. 500... 1000? Zombies, the useless ambling shuffling type! I need somone else to determine how many I can have!

5. Audrey II. The plant from 'The Little Shop Of Horrors'.

6. A Gingerbread Golem.

Which means my army is as follows;

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Roland Deschain
    2. Gene Starwind
    3. Buck O'Hare (Plus Ship/Crew)
    4. 500-1000 Zombies
    5. Audrey II
    6. A Gingerbread Golem
    Last edited by Fin; 2009-03-21 at 05:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Well, if they're the slow, shambling firewood kind, probably around 200 would be right.

Keep in mind, though, this is only a suggestion. This is Reinholdt's thread, after all.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-03-21 at 11:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show