New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [1ed-3.5] Planning on buying a projector. What types are used for D&D?

I am planning on buying a projector for my bedroom, so that I can plug my new gaming PC into and have everything displayed on a wall. With a beanbag chair and and a wireless mouse+keyboard set it should be quite nice.

I figure since I will already be getting a projector, I might as well get one which can also work as a gaming aid.

Although I have never actually seen such a setup, I occasional hear or read about people using them for various purposes in D&D.

So I am hoping the pros and vets here can tell me a) What exactly are projectors useful for in D&D, and b) what type/kind/brand/etc I should try to get.

I currently have $60 in Best Buy credit which is about to expire, and a bit over $300 in Amazon credit. Because of this something sold at either Best Buy or Amazon.com would be preferred.

As always, and help would be greatly appreciated!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [1ed-3.5] Planning on buying a projector. What types are used for D&D?

BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [1ed-3.5] Planning on buying a projector. What types are used for D&D?

One would think that one of those Smartboard dealies would be helpful for tabletop gaming. Essentially, it's a projection that you can also draw on, and it draws on the computer as well. I'm not sure how much more expensive than a regular projector these are, and it may be a lot cheaper to just grab a Bamboo tablet is you really want to be able to draw things easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Smart boards are very, very expensive.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    Smart boards are very, very expensive.
    Are they? I had no idea, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting