New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Crowning Moments Of Awesome! (Spoilers to be hidden please!)

Yes I know this probably has been done to death but I'm not one for resurrecting old threads so....

What are your favourite character's (from any media) Crowning Moments of Awesome?

For me it would have to be Eddie Dean in the Dark Tower series of novels by Stephen King. When he finally proves he could convince the devil to set himself on fire! Just like his brother always said he could.

Spoiler
    Show
    The part of the book where he sticks to his guns even in the face of the derision from Roland and uses his favourite joke/riddle to cause Blain the Mono to fail so spectacularly!

'Why did the dead baby cross the road? Because he was stapled to the chicken, YOU DOPEY ****!' Classic line!
    Last edited by Fin; 2009-03-24 at 07:58 AM.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Crowning Moments Of Awesome! (Spoilers to be hidden please!)

Probably more a Crowning Moment of Funny, but it's easily one of the most memorable scenes I can call up.

From one of the Dresden Files:

When fighting a group of Black Court vampires, Harry redirects an entropy curse (basically a curse that kills you with Murphy's Law, if it can kill you, it probably will), shifting it from its intended target onto one of the vampires. For about 20 seconds, nothing happens...

...until a frozen turkey, somehow ejected from a high-flying airliner, hits the vamp at terminal velocity and stakes him. The entire fight just stops and everyone stares at what just happened. Harry's next line?

"For my next trick: anvils!"

I had to fight to keep from laughing out loud in the repair shop waiting room...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

This.

"Don't believe in yourself! Believe in me, who believes in you!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

In The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch(which is an awesome book, btw) - "I don't have to beat you.... I just have to hold you til Jean gets here...."
    I have a cunning plan....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Probably more a Crowning Moment of Funny, but it's easily one of the most memorable scenes I can call up.

From one of the Dresden Files:

When fighting a group of Black Court vampires, Harry redirects an entropy curse (basically a curse that kills you with Murphy's Law, if it can kill you, it probably will), shifting it from its intended target onto one of the vampires. For about 20 seconds, nothing happens...

...until a frozen turkey, somehow ejected from a high-flying airliner, hits the vamp at terminal velocity and stakes him. The entire fight just stops and everyone stares at what just happened. Harry's next line?

"For my next trick: anvils!"

I had to fight to keep from laughing out loud in the repair shop waiting room...
    I personally prefer when in the most recent book he defeats the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eldest Billygoat Gruff(note: this guy has killed multiple members of the White Council's High Council in magical duel) by asking for a Jelly Doughnut.

Or maybe it was when the Calvary comes over the hill riding a Helicopter with Ride of the Valkyries blaring. over the speakers, with and actual Valkyrie manning the helicopter's minigun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Not my favorite character, but this takes the cake for memorably awesome.
    Jean Grey: hear me X-men; no longer am I the women you once knew... Now and forever. I am;
    Spoiler
    Show
    PHOENIX!

P.S there is more to this monologue but i can't remember the rest.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2009-03-25 at 10:53 PM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

One of the better villains/anti-heroes to grace literature, the grand lord Golgren of the ogre nations Kern and Blode.

Spoiler
    Show
    At the very end of 'The Black Talon' he stands before the crowd, screaming his name with wild adulaion and contemplates how this is not over...his enemies are all around him. The minotaurs, the Nerakans, the Solamnics, the Black Talon, the elves, and that all of them want him dead at best. He knows they'll strike again and soon. And he smiles. And he says "Come to me...I will show you fear."

Of course this is but ONE of his manymoments.
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

The second half of David Gemmell's "Legend" is nothing but a succession of crowning moments of awesome. G.R.R Martin cries himself to sleep wishing he could create scenes as evocative, or write characters half so good as Druss, Regnak, Ulric, Serbitar, Caessa, Orrin, or - hell - any of the bit-part characters.

"Legend": it really is that damn good.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The Tenth Doctor has so very many, but one moment really sticks out in my mind...

"I'm the Doctor, and we're in the biggest library in the universe... Look me up!" What immediately followed was the monsters of the episode backing down in fear. Awesome.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    I personally prefer when in the most recent book he defeats the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eldest Billygoat Gruff(note: this guy has killed multiple members of the White Council's High Council in magical duel) by asking for a Jelly Doughnut.

Or maybe it was when the Calvary comes over the hill riding a Helicopter with Ride of the Valkyries blaring. over the speakers, with and actual Valkyrie manning the helicopter's minigun.
    Haven't had the pleasure of getting into Small Favor yet...probably 'cause I wasn't willing to pay $10 for the paperback just because they decided to make book bigger than other paperbacks...

...which means I probably shouldn't have clicked the spoiler...

...oh well, just means I have that to look forward to

Quote Originally Posted by Raz Fox
    The Tenth Doctor has so very many, but one moment really sticks out in my mind...
    From the first episode of Doctor Who I saw (and probably horribly butchered, because it's been a while...):

"Now see, what we have here appears to be a button that under-no-circumstances-should-ever-ever-be-pressed. Now when I see a button that under-no-circumstances-should-ever-ever-be-pressed well I just have to *presses button*"

"No second chances...that's what kind of man I am..."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

One crowning moment of awesome would be in the novel "I am Legend where...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Robert Neville realizes that he is now a thing of fear of myth to the new vampiric race, just as vampires once were to humanity. coming to grips with this, he proclaims:

"I...am a superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever.

I am legend."
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver