New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [4e] WIP: The "scion" Martial Controller (PEACH!)

First, a brief disclaimer: I am making this class because I want to learn a little more about balancing my homebrew, and making a class and trying it out seems a good way to do it. I'm not really interested in whether or not you think the concept of a martial controller is viable, or in whether or not there are homebrew classes similar to this (I've heard of a lancer class, but I have no idea if it has any relation besides being a martial spear-using controller).

Note: "Harrier" is a temporary name for now, until I can get a better feel for the class and think up a more appropriate one if I change my mind.

CLASS TRAITS
    Role: Controller. In close, you wield hafted weapons, using them to attack at reach, then darting back to throw your weapon. You know the dangers of a toe-to-toe conflict, and prefer to let the environment – or even your enemies – do your fighting for you whenever possible. To this end you are a master of resourcefulness and psychological warfare.
    Power Source: Martial. You work through a combination of physical prowess, situational awareness, intimidation, and resourcefulness, all achieved with a combination of arduous training and personal talent.
    Key Abilities: Dexterity, Wisdom, Strength

Armour Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chain
    Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, martial melee, simple ranged
    Bonus to Defense: +1 reflex, +1 fortitude
    Hit Points at 1st level: 12 + Constitution score
    Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
    Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Intimidation. From the class skills list below, choose three additional trained skills at first level. Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Dungeoneering, Heal, Insight, Intimidate, Perception, Stealth, Streetwise.

CLASS FEATURES:
    Combat Style
    Brave Harrier
    Brave Warrior: You may treat your Weapon of Choice as a double weapon. For spears and polearms, the blunt end (the butt) deals 1d6 damage and has a +2 proficiency bonus. For staves, the “on hand” weapon damage die is increased by one step (ie. 1D6 becomes 1D8). Some Harrier powers' effects depend on if you attack using the tip (on-hand) or butt (off-hand) end of your weapon.
    Powerful Throw: You may throw weapons not normally throwable from your Weapon of Choice group as Heavy Thrown weapons: when throwing these weapons, the range increment is 4/8 for one handed and 3/6 for two handed weapons.
    Fending Jab: You automatically know the Fending Jab at-will exploit. This is in addition to the at-will exploits you normally know at level 1.
    Durable: You gain the Durable feat as a bonus feat at level 1.
    Clever Harrier
    Safe Distance: When throwing weapons with a “thrown” property (excluding those which gain the thrown property due to your Clever Throw ability) from your Weapon of Choice group, increase the damage die by one step and the range increment by +5/10.
    Clever Throw: You may throw weapons not normally throwable from your group of choice as Heavy Thrown weapons: when throwing these weapons, the range increment is 8/16 for one handed and 5/10 for two handed weapons.
    Point Blank Gamble: You automatically know the Point Blank Gamble at-will exploit. This is in addition to the at-will exploits you normally know at level 1.
    Bonus Feat: You gain the Defensive Mobility feat as a bonus feat at level 1, even if you do not normally qualify.
    [sblock="version 0.1 - outdated, kept for posterity"]
    Brave Scion
    → Choose a single weapon type from Spear or Polearm. You may treat weapons in this group as double weapons: the off-hand end of the weapon (the butt) deals 1d6 damage and has a +2 proficiency bonus. Some Scion exploits will have different effects depending on if you use the blade or butt of your weapon.
    → While wielding your weapon of choice in both hands (even if it is a one-handed weapon without the versatile trait), you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex.
    → You automatically know the Fending Jab at-will exploit. This is in addition to the at-will exploits you normally know at level 1.
    → You gain the Durable feat as a bonus feat at level 1.

Clever Scion
    → Choose a weapon group that includes some weapons with the heavy or light thrown property (eg. Axe, hammer, light blade, or spear from the Player's Handbook). When throwing weapons with the “thrown” property from that group, increase the damage die by one step and the range increment by +5/10.
    → You may throw weapons not normally throwable from your group of choice: when throwing these weapons, reduce the proficiency bonus by one and ignore any nonmagical properties the weapon normally possesses. The range increment for throwing these weapons is 6/12 for one handed and 4/8 for two handed weapons.
    → When you use an improvised thrown weapon, it inflicts 1d6 damage rather than the usual 1d4.
    → You automatically know the Point Blank Gamble at-will exploit. This is in addition to the at-will exploits you normally know at level 1.
    → You gain the Defensive Mobility and Shield Proficiency (Light) feats as bonus feats at level 1, even if you do not normally qualify.[/sblock]

Snaremaker
    You gain the Trap Construction feat at first level. Trap Construction functions like Ritual Caster, but does not have a magical base. Instead, you can use trap schematics to lay snares and hazards in an area. You know 2 trap schematics at first level, and gain 1 automatically when you advance to a new tier. You may learn new schematics in the same way a ritual caster learns new rituals.

Staredown: You gain the Staredown at-will class feature. This feature is only usable after one of your attacks has bloodied or dropped an enemy to 0hp within the encounter.

Staredown - Scion Class Feature
    As your eyes meet your opponent, you feel an almost palpable connection. You fixate it with your gaze, sending a savage glare of certainty: “You're next.”
    At-Will * Martial, Fear
    Minor Action | Ranged 10
    Target: One creature that you have line of sight to, and that has line of sight to you.
    Attack: Intimidate skill vs. Will
    Hit: The target grants combat advantage to all combatants and cannot attack you until the beginning of your next turn. If you move or shift before the duration is over, the effect ends.
    Miss: You grant combat advantage to the target until the beginning of your next turn.
    Special: You may only use this ability once per round, and on a given opponent once per encounter, whether it succeeds or fails.

Weapon of Choice
    Choose Polearms, Spears, or Staves. When wieling weapons from this group, the weapon gains the Defensive and Reach properties as long as you wield it with both hands (this applies even for one-handed, nonversatile weapons). Additional properties are gained depending on if you are a Brave or Clever Harrier.

Note about at-wills: I have just made a bunch of abilities that loosely encompass a lot of concepts I want to use in the class. Several of them are, I think overpowered at this stage: I was more concerned about making notes on what sort of things these powers could do than whether they were appropriate at-wills. Still, I'd love feedback on them; I'll bump them up to Encounters or downgrade them as necessary.

AT-WILL EXPLOITS
    Spoiler
    Show

Cluster Throw - Scion Attack 1
    The handful of javelins disperses as it arcs through the air, raining down on the kobolds as they shout in surprise.
    At-Will * Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action | Area burst 1 within weapon range
    Requirement: You must be wielding a throwable weapon.
    Target: All creatures within burst.
    Attack: Dex vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W]+Dex modifier damage.
    Effect: Unoccupied squares within the burst become difficult terrain until the end of your next turn.

Expert Throw - Scion Attack 1
    You take quick but careful aim before throwing your weapon at a weak point.
    Standard Action - Ranged weapon
    Target: One or two creatures within 2 squares of each other.
    Attack: Dex vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 1[W] damage.

Fending Jab - Scion Attack 1
    As your opponent comes into reach, you press it back with your spear. It balks at the onslaught for a moment: just long enough.
    Immediate Interrupt | Melee 1
    Requirement: You must be wielding a reach weapon.
    Trigger: An enemy enters a square adjacent to you.
    Target: The creature that triggered the interrupt
    Hit: The target is pushed 1 square and ends its move action.
    Brave Scion: If you are wielding your weapon of choice, the effect is determined by which end of the weapon you choose to attack with.
    Blade: The target takes 1[W] damage and is pushed 1 square and ends its move action.
    Butt: You slide the target a number of squares equal to your Str modifier, and end its move action.
    Design notes: This is too much for a l1 at will. I'll be moving it somewhere else.

Point Blank Gamble - Scion Attack 1
    You launch a disconcerting attack against a threatening enemy, interrupting its rhythm for a moment to stop it interfering in your plans.
    Standard Action | Melee 1
    Target: One creature
    Hit: Dex modifier damage and the target cannot make Opportunity Attacks until the end of your next turn.
    Clever Scion: Make a secondary attack. You may choose to make this attack whether or not the first attack hits.
    Secondary Target: One enemy within your weapon's range.
    Secondary Attack: Dex vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] damage and the target is pushed one square.
    Special: This ranged attack does not provoke an Opportunity Attack from the target of your first attack.
    Design notes: I like the idea of this one, but I think it's too clunky at the moment.

Spinning Sweep - Scion Attack 1
    With a sharp cry, you swipe your leg in one direction and the butt of your spear in the other, describing two arcs around you. Your weapon and foot rattle painfully off the legs of the foes surrounding you.
    Standard Action | Close burst 1
    Hit: 1d6 damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Trip and Run - Scion Attack 1
    Realising you're in a tight spot, you sweep your weapon quickly at your opponent's feet and dart back.
    Standard Action | Melee weapon
    Hit: 1[W]+Dex modifier damage, and you may shift one square. If the damage exceeds the target's fortitude defense, it is knocked prone and you may shift another two squares.
    Design notes: I'm rewriting the second effect of this one right now.

Watched Path - Scion Attack 1
    You spare a glance to keep an eye on the space between the gnarled oak and the ravine. If another orc dares cross there, you'll be ready.
    At-Will * Martial, Weapon, Zone
    Standard Action | Ranged weapon
    Hit: Dex modifier damage.
    Effect: A burst 1 zone originating from the target square persists until the end of your next turn. You may make a secondary attack as a free action against any enemy entering or starting its turn in the zone. If the zone ceases to be within your weapon reach/range, the effect ends immediately.
    Secondary Target: One enemy within your weapon's range entering the watched zone.
    Hit: 1[W] damage and the target is pushed one square away from the center of the zone. If the target entered the square voluntarily, its move action ends.
    Design notes: I am not sure if this is too much for an at-will or not. Basing it on the Druid at-will Flame Seed, it has the potential for a nastier effect - dealing not only significant damage to interlopers in the zone, but also a knockback effect. However, unlike flame seed, it doesn't do automatic damage, which is a sizable detriment.

LEVEL 1 ENCOUNTER EXPLOITS
    Spoiler
    Show

Stumbling Sweep - Harrier Attack 1
    A chuckle rolls through your party as the mercenary, imbalanced by the precisely timed swing of your halberd, falls into his employer, leaving them both in a cursing pile on the floor.
    Hit: 1[W]+Dex modifier damage, and slide the target 2 squares. If the slide ends adjacent to at least one enemy, you may make a secondary attack.
    Secondary Target: The target of the primary attack and all enemies adjacent to it at the end of the slide.
    Secondary Attack: Dex vs. Fortitude
    Hit: The target is knocked prone and takes -2 to fortitude until the end of your next turn.
    Last edited by Erk; 2009-03-26 at 01:51 PM.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] WIP: The "scion" Martial Controller (PEACH!)

Quote Originally Posted by Erk View Post
    Note: "Scion" is just a placeholder name until I can get a better feel for the class and think up a more appropriate one. Many of the names here are placeholders. This class is still very much in the rough stages, so please critique as much as you feel like.
    Given how it's working, it almost feels like one conception of ninja as a weapons opportunist, although ninja probably will be ki...
    Brave Scion
    → Choose a single weapon type from Spear or Polearm. You may treat weapons in this group as double weapons: the off-hand end of the weapon (the butt) deals 1d6 damage and has a +2 proficiency bonus. Some Scion exploits will have different effects depending on if you use the blade or butt of your weapon.
    → While wielding your weapon of choice in both hands (even if it is a one-handed weapon without the versatile trait), you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex.
    → You automatically know the Fending Jab at-will exploit. This is in addition to the at-will exploits you normally know at level 1.
    → You gain the Durable feat as a bonus feat at level 1.
    Hmm, that's a number of features for a combat style, but if you don't get any other things, that's balanced.
    Clever Scion
    → Choose a weapon group that includes some weapons with the heavy or light thrown property (eg. Axe, hammer, light blade, or spear from the Player's Handbook). When throwing weapons with the “thrown” property from that group, increase the damage die by one step and the range increment by +5/10.
    → You may throw weapons not normally throwable from your group of choice: when throwing these weapons, reduce the proficiency bonus by one and ignore any nonmagical properties the weapon normally possesses. The range increment for throwing these weapons is 6/12 for one handed and 4/8 for two handed weapons.
    → When you use an improvised thrown weapon, it inflicts 1d6 damage rather than the usual 1d4.
    → You automatically know the Point Blank Gamble at-will exploit. This is in addition to the at-will exploits you normally know at level 1.
    → You gain the Defensive Mobility and Shield Proficiency (Light) feats as bonus feats at level 1, even if you do not normally qualify.
    Some of the wording seems awkward here. On the second point, I'd say "When using an improvised thrown weapon from your chosen weapon group, apply the proficiency bonus from that weapon, with a -1 penalty, to the attack, as well as the damage die. Ignore any nonmagical properties of the weapon. The range for any weapon thrown this way is 6/12 for one-handed and 4/8 for two-handed weapons." That said, this could get very nasty. I don't want to think about a magical Mordenkrad build...
    Snaremaker
    You gain the Trap Construction feat at first level. Trap Construction functions like Ritual Caster, but does not have a magical base. Instead, you can use trap schematics to lay snares and hazards in an area. You know 2 trap schematics at first level, and gain 1 automatically when you advance to a new tier. You may learn new schematics in the same way a ritual caster learns new rituals.
    Interesting, I like this too.

The one concern I have: none of these are tied to each other. At all. It's very confusing, and I'd say each of these warrants its own class.
    Staredown: You gain the Staredown at-will class feature. This feature is only usable after one of your attacks has bloodied or dropped an enemy to 0hp within the encounter.

Staredown - Scion Class Feature
    As your eyes meet your opponent, you feel an almost palpable connection. You fixate it with your gaze, sending a savage glare of certainty: “You're next.”
    At-Will * Martial, Fear
    Minor Action | Ranged 10
    Target: One creature that you have line of sight to, and that has line of sight to you.
    Attack: Intimidate skill vs. Will
    Hit: The target grants combat advantage to all combatants and cannot attack you until the beginning of your next turn. If you move or shift before the duration is over, the effect ends.
    Miss: You grant combat advantage to the target until the beginning of your next turn.
    Special: You may only use this ability once per round, and on a given opponent once per encounter, whether it succeeds or fails.
    Very interesting. But not that useful compared to most marking powers. Still, not bad.
    Cluster Throw - Scion Attack 1
    The handful of javelins disperses as it arcs through the air, raining down on the kobolds as they shout in surprise.
    Standard Action | Area burst 1 within weapon range
    Hit: 1[W]+Dex modifier damage.
    Clever Scion: Effect: A number of squares within the burst equal to your Wis modifier become difficult terrain until the end of your next turn.
    Word the requirement "This may not be a melee attack". This is definitely not an at-will, mainly because it targets nine squares, and will typically be dealing quite a bit of overall damage. But it's a nice idea.
    Expert Throw - Scion Attack 1
    You take quick but careful aim before throwing your weapon at a weak point.
    Standard Action - Ranged weapon
    Target: One or two creatures within 2 squares of each other.
    Hit: 1[W] damage.
    I like this one. Much more likely an at-will.
    Fending Jab - Scion Attack 1
    As your opponent comes into reach, you press it back with your spear. It balks at the onslaught for a moment: just long enough.
    Immediate Interrupt | Melee 1
    Requirement: You must be wielding a spear, polearm, or staff.
    Trigger: An enemy enters a square adjacent to you.
    Target: The creature that triggered the interrupt
    Hit: The target is pushed 1 square and ends its move action.
    Brave Scion: If you are wielding your weapon of choice, the effect is determined by which end of the weapon you choose to attack with.
    Blade: The target takes 1[W] damage and is pushed 1 square and ends its move action.
    Butt: You slide the target a number of squares equal to your Str modifier, and end its move action.
    Um...yeah, that's major powerful. Definitely encounter. Otherwise, you're pretty hard to hit in melee. An at-will way to poke back enemies?
    Point Blank Gamble - Scion Attack 1
    You launch a disconcerting attack against a threatening enemy, interrupting its rhythm for a moment to stop it interfering in your plans.
    Standard Action | Melee 1
    Hit: Dex modifier damage and the target cannot make Opportunity Attacks until the end of your next turn.
    Clever Scion: Make a secondary attack. You may choose to make this attack whether or not the first attack hits.
    Secondary Target: One enemy within your weapon's range.
    Hit: 1[W] damage and the target is pushed one square.
    Special: This ranged attack does not provoke an Opportunity Attack from the target of your first attack.
    Also a lot from a simple class feature. I like the bit about preventing Opportunity attacks, though. Although in an at-will, that's pretty big...
    Spinning Sweep - Scion Attack 1
    With a sharp cry, you swipe your leg in one direction and the butt of your spear in the other, describing two arcs around you. Your weapon and foot rattle painfully off the legs of the foes surrounding you.
    Standard Action | Close burst 1
    Requirement: You must be wielding a spear, polearm, or staff.
    Hit: 1d6 damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
    Brave Scion: Additionally, a number of hit targets equal to your Str modifier are pushed 1 square.
    Hmm, yeah, I'm hesitant to give burst powers as at-wills. But I like it.
    Trip and Run - Scion Attack 1
    Realising you're in a tight spot, you sweep your weapon quickly at your opponent's feet and dart back.
    Hit: 1[W]+Dex modifier damage, and you may shift one square. If the damage exceeds the target's fortitude defense, it is knocked prone and you may shift another two squares.
    Hmm. That's rather complicated, for the secondary effect, and not that useful. Damage at 1st level is on average 7-ish, and at most more around 14. It'll barely touch most Fortitude defenses. Just cut that bit, and it's a fine at-will.
    Watched Path - Scion Attack 1
    You spare a glance to keep an eye on the space between the gnarled oak and the ravine. If another orc dares cross there, you'll be ready.
    At-Will * Martial, Weapon, Zone
    Standard Action | Ranged weapon
    Hit: Dex modifier damage.
    Effect: A burst 1 zone originating from the target square persists until the end of your next turn. You may make a secondary attack as a free action against any enemy entering or starting its turn in the zone. If the zone ceases to be within your weapon reach/range, the effect ends immediately.
    Secondary Target: One enemy within your weapon's range entering the watched zone.
    Hit: 1[W] damage and the target is pushed one square away from the center of the zone. If the target entered the square voluntarily, its move action ends.
    Design notes: I am not sure if this is too much for an at-will or not. Basing it on the Druid at-will Flame Seed, it has the potential for a nastier effect - dealing not only significant damage to interlopers in the zone, but also a knockback effect. However, unlike flame seed, it doesn't do automatic damage, which is a sizable detriment.
    I rather like this one, maybe a bit of a powerful at-will, but I like it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seems fair enough, as a controller. Seems to match the Wizard's powers pretty fairly, with the added effect of using weapons.

The only major problem is Fending Jab. It's waaay too powerful for an At-Will. Also, I could be wrong, but I think all at-wills are Standard Actions, at least so far.

I would actually remove the bit about making non-thrown weapons throwable. I thrown Executioner's Axe, for example, makes this class CONSIDERABLY more powerful than, say, a Druid or Wizard, which are what this is supposed to compare to. Kicking up the damage die on weapons with the Light or Heavy thrown quality is good enough.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

For a name:

Guerilla?
    Skirmisher?
    Landsknecht?

Spearazon?
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel