New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Those darned Elder Evils

One of my pals expressed interest in having us play a campaign where he uses a book that none of us have. Later I found it was Elder Evils, and his grand scheme is to have us fight all of them.

So, tips, breakages, anything?

This guy and I always try and break the others campaign, so don't hold back.

It takes place in Forgotten Realms.
    Zaphod's just this guy, you know?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Those darned Elder Evils

Play somthing as a counterpart to extreme evil... or use things that shield/target and do more harm against evil beings and crearures. Also, do not play a divine spellcaster becasue some Elder Evils are immune or resistant to magic. I would say go Tome of Battle and hope for the best... and be epic level.

Good Luck!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

all of them is going it a bit much- especially since often, even when the Elder Evils lose they caused massive damage to the world.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Exalted Deeds, and the spells, feats, and other within.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

All of them? Wouldn't they, like, just ignore you and start fighting each other? I can't imagine they would get along.

Also, that would be a great idea for a video game. It would be like Smash Bros except instead of Nintendo characters you'd have the guy made of worms vs the moon who eclipses the sun and raises hordes of undead.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6

They're mostly unstatted monstrosities that you cannot fight even 1v1, unless you're at least a deity. Then again, divine ascensions for mortals happen daily in the Realms, so that's not like to be a problem.

But yeah, basically, do what you'd always do if you want to be powerful without infinite loops - be an Incantatrix (if base Wizard) or Dweomerkeeper of Mystra (if base Cleric) or some such and make reality your bitch. Those two happen to be Forgotten Realms-specific too.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by slexlollar89 View Post
    Play somthing as a counterpart to extreme evil... or use things that shield/target and do more harm against evil beings and crearures. Also, do not play a divine spellcaster becasue some Elder Evils are immune or resistant to magic. I would say go Tome of Battle and hope for the best... and be epic level.

Good Luck!
    Now when you say go Tome of Battle, what precisely do you mean?
    Zaphod's just this guy, you know?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've got the Elder Evils book myself, and yes, fighting more than one of the things is going to completely wreck the world. I mean total civilisation ending stuff, even if they beat them. Hell, the secondary bad guys are horrible enough. One of the most world-endy types in it has, as seconds
    Spoiler
    Show
    A mad elf Ur-Priest researching the Apocalypse From The Sky spell, and an entire ravening army of demons and undead, the likes of which the planes have never seen, led by a horrific intelligent shade on a flying-death-construct-glider-thing.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    All of them? Wouldn't they, like, just ignore you and start fighting each other? I can't imagine they would get along.

Also, that would be a great idea for a video game. It would be like Smash Bros except instead of Nintendo characters you'd have the guy made of worms vs the moon who eclipses the sun and raises hordes of undead.
    Super Lovecraft Bros Melee?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I'd go Crusader. Lovely bonuses against evil creatures, able to bypass DR and so on, can take loads of punishment and keep right on ticking, healing, and party-boosting. Sounds tailor-made to fighting off eldritch hordes, if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

alright, another member of the party here, been looking through the book, and it seems the best way to kill them is with lots of touch attacks. I don't think I've seen any touch ACs over 20, and seen as little as a 2 touch AC.

Anyone got any ideas for builds based on touch attacks?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Atsu333 View Post
    alright, another member of the party here, been looking through the book, and it seems the best way to kill them is with lots of touch attacks. I don't think I've seen any touch ACs over 20, and seen as little as a 2 touch AC.

Wizard/Incantatrix. Apply a ton of Metamagic to e.g. Orb of Force (or any Orb; no spell resistance, no save is good) and go to town while having all your buffs on thus being always teleported away before someone would hit you, being immune to basically all spells and so on.

Wizard/Incantatrix or Cleric/Dweomerkeeper is the best combo for a Faerun-based anything. Cleric is the best melee character and Wizard is the best caster (although the line blurs when both can cast pretty much anything whenever; Dweomerkeeper gains free Wishes a bit more easily though, but Wizard is much better for the less-abusive-but-still-nutty metamagicked attacks).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-03-28 at 01:01 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

You go evil, ally with the elders, and pray to be eaten first.
    My gaming site Looking for contributors, designers, and artists!
    The Dragon Codex
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    I want it to be noted that you're good people. Seriously, you're a saint.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by KeresM View Post
    so true. But seriously, i have beaten one of them. The moon. (I don;t have the book so i forget the name.) then enitre campaign literally spanned our characters lives (70 years) we were level 35 by the end of it and had killed Boccob god of Magic in the process. My first character actually died during the fight with Boccob. But yeah, they're insane. but it was one of the most fun campaigns I have ever been in.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

No offense, but I like Eladrial's plan better.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't own this book, I've only borrowed it from the library once. But from what I recall, any given Elder Evil could probably give Cthulu a run for his money, and send Galactus screaming for his mum. Heck, even Squirrel Girl might chip a nail.

As for fighting all of them, the only advice I can give is that you should optimize the heck out of your character. It won't help, but maybe the souls of munchkin PCs don't taste as good.

Perhaps convince your DM that an epic level Gestalt campaign is the best way to go, and take ToB classes on one side and all the most broken goodies from Book of Exalted Deeds and Complete Champion on the other.

Incidentally, anyone else think the Snarl would make a great addition to the Elder Evils? I should mention that on the Homebrew board.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atsu333 View Post

Warblade 2/Wizard 5/ Incantrix 5/ Abjurant Champ 5/ Spell sword 3.
    Use your blade channeling, and leap attack/power attack with sapphire nightmare blade, and you get a touch attack every time, and if you get a ring of lions charge you can get a full attack every time with it. Plus having full caster level -2, and full BAB.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Perhaps convince your DM that an epic level Gestalt campaign is the best way to go, and take ToB classes on one side and all the most broken goodies from Book of Exalted Deeds and Complete Champion on the other.
    Geshalt is good. Lets you be both a Wizard/Incantrix/Archmage AND a Warblade. Fun stuff

Incidentally, anyone else think the Snarl would make a great addition to the Elder Evils? I should mention that on the Homebrew board.
    Yes.

BACK to the OT...

Here are some ideas I recomend, depending on what you want to be:

Meatshield: Warblade/Bard with SOWR and Dragonfire Inspiration, plus Power Attack, Leap Attack, Shocktrooper Assualt, the works. UMD wands of wraithstrike. Because you know what hurts more than a warblade Power Attacking for half his base attack bonus? A warblade Power Attacking for his full BAB, auto hitting, and doing +5d6 sonic damage.

Skill Monkey: Factotum/Swordsage. Because, y'know, all skill monkey builds need trapfinding, and all non-caster-builds-that-will-be-fighting-the-Elder-Evils need ToB. Plus for the fact that Lots of Good Standard Actions + More Standard Actions = Profit.

Healer: Cleric with Initiate of Mystra. While you may be inneffective against some of the EEs, you are, of course, CoDzilla. In an antimagic field.

God-Damned Batman: Look up a little bit to see Eladrial's Post.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

all non-caster-builds-that-will-be-fighting-the-Elder-Evils need ToB.
    i disagree, i played a rogue that was optimized for assassination and spy work. and I did fine, until I exploded because my parents died.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

I say get creative.

Lay bags of holding about five feet over the ground as a trap. Directly below it on the floor is a portable hole. You just decimated that things leg and stopped it from movine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I don't own this book, I've only borrowed it from the library once. But from what I recall, any given Elder Evil could probably give Cthulu a run for his money, and send Galactus screaming for his mum. Heck, even Squirrel Girl might chip a nail.

As for fighting all of them, the only advice I can give is that you should optimize the heck out of your character. It won't help, but maybe the souls of munchkin PCs don't taste as good.

Pun-Pun, then.

And may Non-Evil-Deity-of-choice have mercy on our soon to be devoured souls.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I say get creative.

Lay bags of holding about five feet over the ground as a trap. Directly below it on the floor is a portable hole. You just decimated that things leg and stopped it from movine.
    Pandorym, Ragnorra, Sertrous and the Leviathan don't have legs.

Now, the real question is, are all nine of their signs active at once, even if the Evil itself is not?

Because that will throw a wrench into quite a few things. For one, conjurations and divine magic will be impeded.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I say go with the Hulking Hurler, it can PICK UP a elder evil, and throw it at another elder evil. Killing them both in the process.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing as how most of them can't actually die...

and if you do that to Pandorym, you lose the game.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post

Well, then theres no point in fighting them. As they just keep coming back together everytime you annhilate their matter with anti ossimum.

26. - Top - End - #26

"You'll still die. But faster."

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=200
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2009-03-28 at 09:13 PM.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, XKCD settled that last problem.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pandorym, Ragnorra, Sertrous and the Leviathan don't have legs.

Now, the real question is, are all nine of their signs active at once, even if the Evil itself is not?

Because that will throw a wrench into quite a few things. For one, conjurations and divine magic will be impeded.
    Hey, that at least inconvinces the worm that walks and whatever mooks or other huge enemies lying around.
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FF fanboy View Post
    Well, then theres no point in fighting them. As they just keep coming back together everytime you annhilate their matter with anti ossimum.
    Well, see Pandorym is annihilation of matter. In a breakable glass box. So a bit of finesse and not throwing things around is called for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet
    Hey, that at least inconvinces the worm that walks and whatever mooks or other huge enemies lying around.
    We'd have to rename it. The Worm That Occasionally Stumbles?

Zargon and the Hulks would be inconvenienced by it, though.

30. - Top - End - #30

You can actually ignore Pandorym for the most part. That is, if you don't care about deities and Pandorym is actually able to find a way back where it came from. If not then you've got to face it as well.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!