New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Limiting the artificier

After reading up on the class and seeing the current threads on the subject I'd like to find some fairly simpel way to rein them in a little.

Would it be an effective way to bring them down a tier if for purposes of meeting item prerequisites, an artificer’s effective caster level equaled his artificer level -2 instead of +2?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Limiting the artificier

Do Infusions require caster levels/are they effected my them in any way? I don't really know Artificers, so that will determine my answer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    Do Infusions require caster levels/are they effected my them in any way? I don't really know Artificers, so that will determine my answer.
    No, the effective caster level is what he uses to make items with spells he doesn't have an infusion of. And since normally he gets a caster level of his class level + 2 he can cast spells 2 levels before actual spellcasters get them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, still, that's a pretty big nerf. I'd say just have his effective CL=his Level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Reducing the artificier's CL is a bad idea. He suddently gets underpowered. Not only does he have to craft spell storing items, he crafts it at the same level a normal caster (wizard) casts them normally). And he needs to make UMD checks to activate them.

A simple fix would be for the artificier to have the spell recorded first. Give him a spellbook and make him colect spells that he needs to use for items. But dont drop the +2 CL.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Reducing the artificier's CL is a bad idea. He suddently gets underpowered. Not only does he have to craft spell storing items, he crafts it at the same level a normal caster (wizard) casts them normally). And he needs to make UMD checks to activate them.

A simple fix would be for the artificier to have the spell recorded first. Give him a spellbook and make him colect spells that he needs to use for items. But dont drop the +2 CL.
    That doesn't make him any weaker though, it just means he has to buy scrolls.

And the +2 cl is just silly, he can cast higher level spells than those wo dedicate their whole lives to studying just one form of magic. And he does it for any spell.

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    Hmm, still, that's a pretty big nerf. I'd say just have his effective CL=his Level.
    Making his CL=level is certainly better than level+2.
    Last edited by Myou; 2009-03-28 at 05:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I love how the first three non-sticky threads on the page right now are all about artificers.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I love how the first three non-sticky threads on the page right now are all about artificers.
    I helped! =D