New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Encyclopedia Arcane

Hey ya'll,

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who's read these books... I really like a couple of them. Especially Crossbreading, Constructs, and Illusionism.

But I digress. The reason I'm making this topic is to ask if anybody has a complete list of the Encyclopedia Arcane's that have been published by Mongoose and if there are any plans for more...

I have looked for information about them online... but it is surprisingly difficult to find...

-SS
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Encyclopedia Arcane

Listing, complete as far as I can tell:
    Abjuration: Shielded by Sorcery
    Battle Magic: The Eldritch Storm
    Blood Magic: Oaths and Sacrifices
    Chaos Magic: Wild Sorcery
    Chronomancy: The Power of Time
    Components and Foci: The Materials of Magic
    Conjuration: By Bell, Book and Candle
    Constructs: It Is Alive
    Crossbreeding: Flesh and Blood
    Demonology: The Dark Road; I believe there was an online supplement named 'Family Tzaretch'
    Divination: The All-Seeing Eye
    Dragon Magic: Power Incarnate
    Drow Magic: Sorcery of the Endless Night
    Elementalism: The Primordial Force
    Enchantment: Fire in the Mind
    Familiars: Crouching Monkey Hidden Toad
    Illusionism: Smoke and Mirrors
    Magic Item Creation: Forging Legendary Weapons
    Necromancy: Beyond the Grave
    Nymphology: Blue Magic (patently hilarious)
    Purgatorium
    Sovereign Magic: Mastery of the Land
    Star Magic: Wisdom of the Magic
    Tarot Magic
    Tomes and Libraries: Secrets of the Written Word

And the Encyclopedia Divine:
    Fey Magic: Dreaming the Reverie (very interesting)
    Shamans: The Call of the Wild

And the Encyclopedia Psionica:
    World Shapers: The Secret Revolution

I think that's a comprehensive listing, taken from everywhere on the internet. Mongoose Publishing apparently doesn't have a listing on their website, and I couldn't get very far into their archives to check old catalogs. Ironically, I got the bulk of the names from torrent content listings.

They're publishing 4th edition stuff, and I vaguely remember something in the GSL about ceasing publication of 3rd edition material. I assume that's the main reason why info's so hard to find.

As for the contents: Nymphology was hilarious; didn't take itself nearly as serious as the Book of Erotic Fantasy. Deliciously vague, AD&D style spell descriptors, designed to give rules lawyers fits. Fey magic was...interesting. Exotic, yes; powerful, yes; but I'm still not decided on if I like it or not. The rest I only saw in ads in Dragon magazine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks! I really appreciate the time you took to reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam_OConnor View Post
    They're publishing 4th edition stuff.
    Ah, that's a bummer, I was always hoping they'd come out with more supplements on Constructs...
    Quote Originally Posted by tam
    As for the contents: Nymphology was hilarious; didn't take itself nearly as serious as the Book of Erotic Fantasy. Deliciously vague, AD&D style spell descriptors, designed to give rules lawyers fits. Fey magic was...interesting. Exotic, yes; powerful, yes; but I'm still not decided on if I like it or not. The rest I only saw in ads in Dragon magazine.
    Aye, I have those ones ;)

Nymphology was certainly interesting... and I've been tempted to persuade my DM to allow a few spells from it for certain combat situations XD

Fey magic was also something else I liked, but the Shaman book was FAR more interesting to me.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I find a lot of the Mongoose stuff is horribly broken for casters and rather mediocre for everyone else.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Some of the Quintessential Archetype/Background things were rather ridiculous all around.

For the Rogue: Assassin: Hmm, +1d6 sneak attack vs humanoids in exchange for two less skill points and a slightly diminished skill list? Yes, please.
    Thug: Full BAB and sneak attack and 4 + Int mod skills. Even with the skill hit, lovely for the combat rogue.
    For the Elf: Apprentice: A bonus feat and a masterwork item at first level, with a penalty that disappears by 5th level, and isn't all that bad beforehand?

Admittedly, their alternate magic systems are really mechanically unbalanced. But at least they're up-front about it, at least in Magic of the Fey.

On the other hand, Quintessential Rogue had a well done Guild system, much more in-depth than the PHB2 and DMG2 equivalents. Or maybe I was blinded by the awesome tables.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Mr. Ococonnor's list is more complete than mine, so I'd let it stand. I've read quite a few, and I agree with Myrmex: most of it is for casters, and not much for anyone else. As with most 3rd party stuff it can get out of hand easily if your players actively try to break it. Mongoose is definitely in the "non-casters don't get anything camp", and their stuff hits both ends of broken (too good and too bad). They also really like making up their own mechanics, which contributes to all of the above. I'd recommend them for a read or if you can get them cheap.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness