New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Caster Level

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Caster Level

Okay so i am trying to mulitclass Wizard/Assassin does the Caster Level add to my previous spells as a wizard or do they not stack

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Caster Level

They do not stack. Assassin and wizard casting are independent of one another.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Caster Level

One other thing then if i wanted to use a wand rod or potion that required a caster level would it still not stack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

They're not dependent on your caster level unless you make them. If you make them, they have the caster level of the class whose spell you used to make them.

So no; they do not stack.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Your question doesn't make sense. Wands require you to have a particular spell on your spell list, and nothing else. Rods and potions have no requirements at all. None of these things are dependent on caster level.
    Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell.
    Rods are scepterlike devices that have unique magical powers and do not usually have charges. Anyone can use a rod.
    Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber. The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Understand that Assassin has its own spellcasting progression. It does not advance existing spellcasting. So, it would be just like if you multiclassed between Wizard and Cleric: you'd end up with two distinct spell groups each with their own spell slots and caster level which are entirely unrelated to each other.

Also, Curmudgeon is right that wands, potions, and rods have no caster level requirements and gain no caster level-based effects except what was set by the creator at the time the item was created. In fact, the only items that access the user's caster level are staffs, but it only affects the range and duration and such. But again, you'd have to choose which of your two seperate caster levels when activating a staff (assuming the spell in the staff is on both spell lists).

I hope that clears everything up. Or maybe it was just too much information? I dunno.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.