New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 8-Bit Theater Chaos Treatment of OOTS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwgPq...x=0&playnext=1

Basically Im not sure who but someone took the comic strip of 8 Bit theatre and dubbed over the strip with amateur voice actors and I think they did it fairly well.

Now the question is since both OOTS and 8Bit are webcomics what would the current legal ramifications be to do similar? Like say if I could get a bunch of people together and tried acting out some scenes, would this be against Rich's wishes on the subject or is this something he wouldn't mind?
    Arcane Scholar for Jephton fan club.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: 8-Bit Theater Chaos Treatment of OOTS?

Apart from the fact that this would luckily require the authors approval... PLEASE PLEASE NO!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There are actually some 8-Bit Theater movies made with Brian Clevinger's approval that are actually pretty neat. This doesn't mean Giant is going to agree to such a movie based on OoTS, though.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Flumph

If you used his artwork, you'd need Rich's approval and he generally doesn't allow people to use his artwork on other sites.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

You could just make an audio file with instructions on which strip(s) to view while listening...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you could probably act out scenes safely. Not using the artwork, just the dialogue and acting out the strip.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

biggrin Re: 8-Bit Theater Chaos Treatment of OOTS?

You could just make an audio file with instructions on which strip(s) to view while listening...
    I think you could probably act out scenes safely. Not using the artwork, just the dialogue and acting out the strip.
    Not a bad idea (especially if Rich doesn't mind) ... that way I could listen to OOTS while on the road. It would make some of these long desert crossings more enjoyable!
    Great custom avatar by ... Assassin89 ... thanks!

... I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams ...

Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

This is really the kind of question that should go to Rich personally, and not to the whole forum here.

Please remember that not only the images, but also the words are Rich's original work and he owns the copyright. Even if you simply read the narration into a microphone without using any of the images, it's copyright violation. The only exceptions would be a work of parody or a dramatic religious work - neither apply here.

In short, get written permission before even starting such a project.

ap
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Already been answered in another thread by a mod. To Wit:

"Please do not steal Rich's work in any way, shape or form".

Personally, I think all webcomic producers should seriously consider cranking up the multimedia instead of reacting as though every suggestion is a potential theft. I've seen some seriously cool things done with webcomics that made them very much more enjoyable, and I think the art form would benefit very much from them.
    Woot